Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

Upgrades to a 1960 Falcon

Moderator: Mod Squad

phoenix02

Upgrades to a 1960 Falcon

Post #1 by phoenix02 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:44 pm

Hello all,

I just bought a 1960 Falcon and I'm looking at options to get this thing up and running good and safe. It will be my wife's DD, so it'll have my wife and kids riding in it around town. Everything on it is stock currently, as far as I know. :) I have a set of front spindles from a '65 Mustang with an SSBC disk conversion kit on them.

With the rarity and cost of the 1960 suspension components, I'd like to convert as much as possible to mustang components. I am hoping to be able to rebuild the front end, suspension and steering bushings, upper and lower control arms, tie rod ends, etc... for around $500 or less, if possible. As you can see, I'm looking for good components, not race worthy components. :)

What parts can I swap in without major modification? If I buy a suspension kit for a '65 Mustang off ebay for $250, will the control arms and everything bolt in properly? What kind of modification is necessary?

Should I consider a Shelby style drop? does it really assist in handling quality, or is it more of a racing only or placebo effect with the Shelby name attached mod?

Currently have manual steering; would like to swap in a R&P kit, but out of my budget. Will Mustang steering components bolt in?

The back wheels and tires are off the same '65 Mustang. They rub on the fender wells- is it worth rolling the fenders for a better fit and more universal options for tire sizes, or just leave stock and get a set of rims that fit?

Thank you,
Michael
1960 Falcon 4 door
1971 Ford F-500 390/4Sp/PB/12FtBox/Lift gate
1973 Jaguar XJ6 DD

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Re: Upgrades to a 1960 Falcon

Post #2 by rbohm » Mon May 09, 2011 1:34 pm

phoenix02 wrote:Hello all,

I just bought a 1960 Falcon and I'm looking at options to get this thing up and running good and safe. It will be my wife's DD, so it'll have my wife and kids riding in it around town. Everything on it is stock currently, as far as I know. :) I have a set of front spindles from a '65 Mustang with an SSBC disk conversion kit on them.

With the rarity and cost of the 1960 suspension components, I'd like to convert as much as possible to mustang components. I am hoping to be able to rebuild the front end, suspension and steering bushings, upper and lower control arms, tie rod ends, etc... for around $500 or less, if possible. As you can see, I'm looking for good components, not race worthy components. :)

What parts can I swap in without major modification? If I buy a suspension kit for a '65 Mustang off ebay for $250, will the control arms and everything bolt in properly? What kind of modification is necessary?

Should I consider a Shelby style drop? does it really assist in handling quality, or is it more of a racing only or placebo effect with the Shelby name attached mod?

Currently have manual steering; would like to swap in a R&P kit, but out of my budget. Will Mustang steering components bolt in?

The back wheels and tires are off the same '65 Mustang. They rub on the fender wells- is it worth rolling the fenders for a better fit and more universal options for tire sizes, or just leave stock and get a set of rims that fit?

Thank you,
Michael

8) i dont know about suspension components swapping before 63, they may, they may not.

as for doing the shelby mod, by all means do it.

as to the wheels wells, roll the fender lips.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

LateApex

Post #3 by LateApex » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:18 pm

I have a '61 Falcon with '65 Falcon/Mustang/Granada suspension in front.

All of the Mustang parts will fit ... except: you need a '65 Falcon drag link to go between the steering box and the idler arm. The Mustang one is too long since the Falcon is narrower.

You will also need a steering box, since your '60 won't work. I can't tell you if the Mustang and Falcon used the same steering box in '65, but I'd bet that they did. My steering box is off a '65 Falcon.

Don't forget the strut rods while you're in there: get the adjustable ones for better caster settings.

I did the Shelby drop on mine, by the way.

Are you going to change spindles to get disk brakes and/or 5-lug hubs? I went with Granada disk brakes, giving me 5-lug front wheels. If you do go with Granada, keep in mind that the tie rods for the Granada spindles are a different size where the joint mounts to the spindle.

Long story short: use as much Mustang stuff as you can 'cause it's cheaper than Falcon stuff even though almost all of it is the same.

6bangerwanab

Post #4 by 6bangerwanab » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:23 am

I'm gonna piggyback onto this one if you don't mind :thanks:

I have the entire steering/suspension from under a v8 granada that I grabbed for my 61. upon rebuilding the front end, I know that the tie rods won't fit the granada (although they can with the sleeves) however since i plan on replacing the tie rods. however, you mentioned using a 65's centerlink, would that allow me to use the larger tie rods of a mustang or granada? and why won't the earlier box work?
61 falcon- half primered, gutted interior, sat in a field for 20 years, but still runs excellent!

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #5 by bubba22349 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:19 am

The 65 Falcon / Comet or 65 / 66 Mustang centerlink would be the one to use. Use the Granada outer tie rods. :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

TKulak

Post #6 by TKulak » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:42 pm

What steering boxes are will work with this swap? Can you use the 6 cylinder box or is it better to update to a V8?

jamyers
VIP Member

Post #7 by jamyers » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:20 pm

I'm not sure of the differences between the early 9 steering boxes and later V8 ones, except that at some point ('64, '64??) they got rid of the long "spear of death" steering shaft and went to a rag joint.

Makes it that much more difficult to pull the steering gearbox, not to mention shipping one for a rebuild - if you can find some place that'll do them.
James - '62 Ranchero (200cid), '71 LeSabre (464cid)

The ONLY safety device we need is a 6" sharpened steel spike bolted to the center of the steering wheel of EVERY vehicle.
Emergency Rooms and Funeral Homes will be busy for a week or so, then I predict a dramatic drop in vehicle accidents.

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Post #8 by rbohm » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:21 pm

jamyers wrote:I'm not sure of the differences between the early 9 steering boxes and later V8 ones, except that at some point ('64, '64??) they got rid of the long "spear of death" steering shaft and went to a rag joint.

Makes it that much more difficult to pull the steering gearbox, not to mention shipping one for a rebuild - if you can find some place that'll do them.

i believe that 67 the change to the rag joint short shaft box was a running change. otherwise the boxes interchange. bee careful though as later boxes, again 67 i think, went to a 1 1/8" sector shaft vs the earlier 1" necessitating a different pitman arm.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #9 by xctasy » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:21 pm

see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=79170&p=612824#p612824.

For the normal Mustang control arm, GranadaMaverick Disc brake, 65 Falc steering box conversion, an additional Shelby control arm mounting drop will be required to avoid bump steer. Tie rod and wheel offsets need to work properly to ensure safety, and this cannot be glossed over or miss-interpreted. Primary safety is at stake.

The original "XK 2000" firewall, front floor pan part of the shell got radically changed mid 1962 to use 62 Fairlane parts, and for 65 cars, everything moved to Two tier 6 cylinder or 8 cylinder spindles. By the 75- late 77 Maverick and 75-80 Granada era, the updated 71 Torino and similar FatStang 71-73 Disc brake stub axles hit town, and they are all V8 spec and really tough, and a perfect swap.

Sooo the early bearings, ball joins and tie rods are all very weak. So are the spring towers, which may or may not have an improved brace, depending on date of build.

The energy absorbing steering column is an important upgrade.

9 pages, and 439 searches came up with the Granada spindles.

This is the first. The advice will save you many dollars. Read every post first, don't miss a detail.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=Granada+spindles&start=400

eddiej wrote:Ok, I got the 65 mustang upper and lower control arms for the 60 falcon. I have full access to the 65 stang. I have found several mavericks to get the disc brakes from. Do I use the spindles from the mustang or the maverick. I also found a pair of 2 in. drop spindles from http://www.fatmanfab.com that I am thinking about using. Do I use the mustang or maverick tie rods, outer, inner or both. I am still a little confused. Thanks, Eddie J
XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10