Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

Power steering conversion on `66 Mustang

Moderator: Mod Squad

Lt_Bongwater

Power steering conversion on `66 Mustang

Post #1 by Lt_Bongwater » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:39 am

Hi Folks,

I`m advancing with my project, I took the car out for a spin after the engine rebuild, and realized steering is a mess.. I have decided to replace the steering box, and while at it, I`m considering a power steering conversion.

I`m interested in advice or inputs from people who went through this:

1. Would you recommend keeping it manual or convert to power. Easiest choice would be a Flaming River box
2. If you would recommend power, what kit should I choose? Borgeson or something else?
3. I`m primarily concerned about engine performance issues, as I already have the AC hooked to it. Engine has a 1B carb, and I`m worried that I`m gonna have idle issues with it.
4. Is there any other solution or advice that you think I should consider?

Thanks!

Cristian
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe, 200 CID, C3 Auto

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Re: Power steering conversion on `66 Mustang

Post #2 by CoupeBoy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:35 pm

I have factory power steering in a '68 Mustang. I hope it is the LAST factory power steering ford unibody that I own from this generation.
I thought the flaming river box was only an upgraded/new box but did not have integrated power steering?

The Borgeson box was the only one I was aware of that retained factory mounting locations and could be swapped in directly.

so given an upgraded Flaming River box, adding in the remainder of the stock power steering components or going with the Borgeson box.

I'd vote Borgeson.

Other options
Rack and Pinion, a manual R&P would be about the same price as a borgeson upgrade.
A power rack and pinion would be a couple hundred more.

and another option.
Electric Power Steering Conversion Kit 1965-1966 $1,417.99

Now given these options and knowing that your steering box is messed up.
also knowing that factory '66 mustang has the 'spear of death' 1pc steering column/steering box combination.

I'd go R&P.
Power or non-power is up to you.

Borgeson would be second.
Flaming River would be last.

just my .02 from some random dude on the 'net.

Lt_Bongwater

Post #3 by Lt_Bongwater » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:34 am

Thanks for the reply. You`re right, flaming river does not make integrated power steering, my thought was if I go with their box, just keep it manual. I considered rack and pinion, but it`s too expensive, double the cost of a Borgeson kit.

Now that you mentioned it however, I`m starting to think about a collapsible steering column..

Thanks!

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #4 by CoupeBoy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:10 pm

R&P twice as expensive as Borgeson?
nah man..

All from Laurel Mountain Mustang
1965-1966 Mustang Power Steering Upgrade Kit 289 - Borgeson Power Box $890.00
1965-1966 MUSTANG RACK & PINION CONVERSION KIT, NON-POWER, UNISTEER $1049.00 (manual)

ok, the power Unisteer is twice as expensive.
1965-1966 MUSTANG RACK & PINION CONVERSION KIT, POWER, UNISTEER $1599.00

One other thing to think about is that neither the Borgeson or the Unisteer power steering kits are going to be direct fit for a i6.

Lt_Bongwater

Post #5 by Lt_Bongwater » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:25 pm

WOW, thanks! I just learned something new :) Unisteer manual R&P does look appealing!

And BTW, this is the kit I was looking at, it appears to be customized for the I6

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalog/M ... -1646.html

Thanks man!

mustang6
VIP Member

Post #6 by mustang6 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:44 am

I've done a couple of R&P power conversions over the years on 67-8 Mustangs and more recently done one power Borgeson conversion. I prefer the Borgeson conversion for many reasons- keeping stock look with the steering box and steering column connection looking basically the same (I also run the stock Ford pump and not the Saginaw), not having a bunch of R&P mechanicals below the engine that are vulnerable to ground/debris strikes (similar problem to OEM P/S), no issues with turning radius differences or bump steer issues (common problems with almost EVERY R&P system), and (in my opinion) just the right amount of road "feel/feedback".
Last edited by mustang6 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

68 Mustang 200 ci, Aussie 250-2V head, Dual Headers, Comp Cams 252H, DSII w/MSD 6AL, T-5, V8 suspension.

65 Ranchero 200 ci, late 170 head, Autolite 1101, 3.03 3 speed, Maverick 8" 4 lug rear with 3.55 gears.

Lt_Bongwater

Post #7 by Lt_Bongwater » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:46 am

Got it, thanks Scott! The original/authentic look and feel is why I`m also inclined to go for the Borgeson solution; besides instalation seems more straight forward.

jeffmel1966

Post #8 by jeffmel1966 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:45 am

I have a 66 with an inline 6 and swapping out the old power steering with the borgeson kit. Looks like all will be good but trying to figure out if I need something additional to tie it into the existing drag link. Articles I read mentioned putting in a new manual drag link and it will connect. Thoughts? I dont receive the new power steering until next week so it's hard to visualize but want to be prepared. Thanks for any help.