Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Bump steer question

Moderator: Mod Squad

rommaster2

Bump steer question

Post #1 by rommaster2 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:01 am

I have done the granada disc brake swap on my 65 Falcon with six cylinder suspension. I do have a little bump steer but its totally manageable. My main question is whether or not doing the shelby drop will make my bump steer worse or not cause I wanna lower my car a bit more and was planning on doing the shelby drop, driving for a little and seeing how everything settled. I don't wanna do it though if it will make bump steer worse, i'd rather cut the springs in that case.

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Re: Bump steer question

Post #2 by rbohm » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:25 pm

8) first the shelby mod wont lower the car much at all. it just lowers the pivot point for the upper arm and changes teh suspension geometry for a better camber curve.

one thing some people have run into with the shelby mod and granada spindles is not bump steer, but suspension binding, usually under hard acceleration. it does not happen every time though, and part of the problem seems to be those that also shorten up the upper arm at the same time. fortunately if you do the shelby mod and you do run across suspension binding, it is easily reversible.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

rommaster2

Re: Bump steer question

Post #3 by rommaster2 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:08 pm

Good to know, then probably what i will do is the shelby drop and while i'm at it half a coil off the springs (they're 650 rate so they don't give at all), see where that leaves me and then lower the back to match it once everything settles and i burn up my big tires on the back.