Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Preparing to replace suspension parts

Moderator: Mod Squad

rommaster2

Preparing to replace suspension parts

Post #1 by rommaster2 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:27 am

Ok well my 65 falcon needs new tie rod ends, and i'm planning on building adjustable strut rods for it. Now i do suffer from some bump steer issues due to my granada spindles on there and lowered suspension. I was wondering if converting it to a v8 front suspension might help with that (the bump steer). Along with that i'm trying to figure out what all i need to replace. Specifically if i have to do the center link because falcon parts wants an arm and a leg for a new v8 one.

At this point i'm basically wondering if the 3 or 400 dollars to swap it all is worth it over just replacing what needs it and then buying other upgrades for the suspension with money saved. Or perhaps falcon parts being a parts store and a purist type establishment they just want you to swap everything even if theres a crossover. I'm kinda hoping that because I can buy outer tie rod ends that hook directly up to my granada spindles.

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Re: Preparing to replace suspension parts

Post #2 by rbohm » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:39 am

8) for the most part the six cylinder and V8 suspensions are identical. the only differences are spring rate, spindles, and steering linkage. all you need to swap over is the steering linkage to the V8 style.

as for the bump steer, even the V8 cars suffer from bump steer to an extent. the problem in your case is the granada spindles have a slightly different steering geometry than the factory spindles do. there are bump steer correction kits available from places like promotorsports.com, and, national parts depot, among others. these kits allow you change the angle of the tie rods to reduce or eliminate bump steer.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention