monte carlo bar

Moderator: Mod Squad

anotherhassel

monte carlo bar

Post #1 by anotherhassel » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:09 pm

Guys looking at a bar cant find the one that npd sold with the six cylinder bend. Would appreciate any help or part numbers or can I use the v-8 one. My set up is a weber 32/36. I plan on going to a duraspark dizzy in the near future. Thanks guys.

The Plankster Prankster

Re: monte carlo bar

Post #2 by The Plankster Prankster » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:35 pm

i don't have your answer, but i suspect that it would help to specify the exact vehicle this is going in
83 F250 flatbed 300-6, NP435, 4X4, 5800lbs empty weight
87 E-350 6.9 diesel, c6, 3.55s, powertrax no-slip locker, onboard 120v power and compressed air, built out with toolboxes and toys

Frankenstang

Post #3 by Frankenstang » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:35 pm

Mustangs Unlimited has it, the one with the offset bump...
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy ... 1=A600W+01

I'm going to be installing the bent8 version with the centered bump a'la ludwig IIRC...just have to move it forward a bit to clear. However, I've heard up here that some have had to deal with I6 bar fitment issues as well...ie having to move them forward to get them to clear.

EDIT: I assume you might be installing a one piece export brace as well :?: ...it's been recommended that you consider a 1" sway bar as part of the engine compartment reinforcement & handling package. The 1 piece export brace, monte carlo bar, and 1" sway bar when used in unison help prevent inducing stress and damage in one of the three areas versus if any one of them were left un-reinforced.
Just thought I'd mention that...Good luck!
-Robert
66 Mustang 200+30, 67 BH, 89 4cyl T-5, 71 Comet 4 lug 8" 3:1rear, 85 T-Bird v6 DS, 10 Mallory Unilite Hyfire VI-A, 08 Vaporizer 1bbl, 68 Cougar 2" exhuast,65 pipe, 74 Mav man disc m/c & Scarebird(87 Stanza rotors 89 Cavalier calipers), 73 Datsun 240z Appliance Wire Mags, 03 Mustang Leather seats
All in one car! Johnny Cash would be proud...I got it One Piece at a Time

MPGmustang
FSP Moderator

Post #4 by MPGmustang » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Frankenstang wrote:The 1 piece export brace, monte carlo bar, and 1" sway bar when used in unison help prevent inducing stress and damage in one of the three areas versus if any one of them were left un-reinforced!
So, ... I have the 1 inch front sway bar and 1 peice export engine brace, so they will be weaker unless I get the monte carlo bar? or they just form the perfect triangle to prevent stress... and damage!?

safety/handling/stability/ect... wise, is the monte carlo bar really that big of an improvement?
65mustang-SOLD-200ci-t5-scarebird disks-vintage air ac-264/274 110 cam-mav 8inch 3.8 open-350cfm-CI headers
66 Bronco-SOLD-i6 170 - rust bucket never ran...
75 bronco-SOLD-v8 c4 dana 20 33's and disk brakes, locker front/rear.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #5 by ludwig » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:14 pm

The Monte Carlo bar stiffens the front end up, keeps the tops of the shock towers from collapsing toward each other. The 1" sway bar will make a noticeable difference. It might be overkill. 3/4" should be enough with our small engines.

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.

MPGmustang
FSP Moderator

Post #6 by MPGmustang » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:35 pm

3/4 isn't much bigger than the 9/16th's SB I just trashed, and my rear SB is 3/4 inch... I'm not getting much roll anymore but I am getting faster corners :twisted:
65mustang-SOLD-200ci-t5-scarebird disks-vintage air ac-264/274 110 cam-mav 8inch 3.8 open-350cfm-CI headers
66 Bronco-SOLD-i6 170 - rust bucket never ran...
75 bronco-SOLD-v8 c4 dana 20 33's and disk brakes, locker front/rear.

Frankenstang

Post #7 by Frankenstang » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:29 pm

ludwig wrote:The Monte Carlo bar stiffens the front end up, keeps the tops of the shock towers from collapsing toward each other.

Yep, like the triangle you mentioned MPG. I know BIGREDRASA was an adament believer in the monte carlo bar as a compliment to the sway bar...I believe that was from an 'undesirable' experience running w/o one :tabu:

The shock towers are spot welded assemblies. Tightening the export area and the thicker 1" sway bar can actually serve to focus more stress to the unsupported lateral space between the shock towers than they would otherwise normally see when the compartment is all in flux. You might not notice the additional flex induced (focused) at the towers till it starts to stress and crack the sheet metal on and around the welds.

Coupeboy did some major front end overhaul a year or two ago addressing some damage in these areas. I think his was a bent8 version and probably more prone to the condition versus our lighter weight engines, but tightening 2/3 of the geometry in the front end could well result in a problem you don't want to find the hard way :wink: With the help of a local welding shop and some decent stock you could probably fab your own monte carlo brace relatively inexpensively. Good luck!
-Robert
66 Mustang 200+30, 67 BH, 89 4cyl T-5, 71 Comet 4 lug 8" 3:1rear, 85 T-Bird v6 DS, 10 Mallory Unilite Hyfire VI-A, 08 Vaporizer 1bbl, 68 Cougar 2" exhuast,65 pipe, 74 Mav man disc m/c & Scarebird(87 Stanza rotors 89 Cavalier calipers), 73 Datsun 240z Appliance Wire Mags, 03 Mustang Leather seats
All in one car! Johnny Cash would be proud...I got it One Piece at a Time

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #8 by CoupeBoy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:02 pm

Yes mine as 2 many cyclinders, but the main reason mine had to be repaired was due to having neglectful previous owners. They had run it hard, cracked both upper control arms by the balljoints and at some point in time they had wrapped a chain around the strut rod tunnel and collapsed it AND tore through the bottom of the radiator support with a chain hook. The poor car also took a pole to the headlight bucket and busted the housing and bent down the hood. It lived a hard life.

How I fixed it

anotherhassel

Post #9 by anotherhassel » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:36 pm

guys i got 1/3 of my set up. just order the monte bar. As funds allow i will get the sway bar and then the export brace. My thought is that the monte bar will help the towers a bit and i am not driving the car much right now. The sway bar next bc I have the factory brace in place I know that it isnt as good but it is there and this car isnt a race car but I want her to handle a bit better. Thanks for the help.