Where do I buy the best quality suspension parts?

Moderator: Mod Squad

Sedanman

Where do I buy the best quality suspension parts?

Post #1 by Sedanman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:06 pm

I have had my front end apart more times than I can count, and replaced everything about 8k miles ago in 2003. After stepping up to Open Tracker upper control arms and having the lower eccentric kit installed on my '64 Falcon, it still tracks really bad going down the freeway. Get in a rut and that's where you go.

I've sorted through the dropped granada spindle/negative wedge thing many times on this forum and previoius conclusion was that it was not causing this problem. After having the eccentric kit installed and the car aligned, it was still bad so I took it back. This is not any normal alignment shop - this guy knows his stuff. After looking at it for awhile he discovered he could barely turn the front wheel side to side by hand and guessed it was either the ball joints or tie rod ends. He then popped off one tie rod end and found it was not moving properly and the wheels turned much freer. I do recall the upper ball joint studs being very stiff when I installed them, but know open tracker uses Moog stuff so they should be good.

I'm going to tear it all apart again soon to do some other work, and check all the tie rod ends and ball joints. Everything has been kept well lubed. Where should I shop for the replacement parts? All stuff except the UCA's came from Laurel mtn. mustang. While on the phone with mustangs plus ordering some other stuff yesterday they told me their tie rods are "better quality" but still made in Japan. Any suggestions so I can make this the final time I tear this thing down?

Thor
Thor
Pre-GT Caspian Blue '65 Fastback in family since new, currently under barn car status awaiting restoration.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Where do I buy the best quality suspension parts?

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:02 pm

On the tie rods I would look for some NOS Ford or Moog.
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

XFlow_Fairlane
VIP Member

Post #3 by XFlow_Fairlane » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:43 am

if you are not running a roller idler arm setup it will be hard to turn side to side.

what alignment specs has he been putting on the car for you (that will have alot to do with it)

manual steering?
Rule: Torque = Fun , Turbo's make Torque

Sedanman

Post #4 by Sedanman » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:46 pm

Bubba - any suggestions of vendors?

xflow - I will have to look for the specs; I think Caster was 2-3 deg, not as much as the wedge kit was suggesting. When I mean hard, he was really leaning on it and almost didn't get it to turn. When he dropped on tie rod that was "binding" it got much easier turning the wheel on the opposite side.
Thor
Pre-GT Caspian Blue '65 Fastback in family since new, currently under barn car status awaiting restoration.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #5 by bubba22349 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:29 pm

I used to go to my locale NAPA was a big store in the buss for long time. This is not always true now days but some of the old time Ford dealers and parts houses still may have the NOS parts. Much of these NOS parts were bought up by the antique Ford parts houses when closed. They’re a number of them in Ca. in Orange, Rosemead, Sacramento, Ca. I have some catalogs from the one in Orange and live close to the Rosemead one they have not been open as often. I always try to buy made in USA for my own stuff if I can.
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

MPGmustang
FSP Moderator

Post #6 by MPGmustang » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:34 pm

for me when I was chasing my memory steer I found that I had the center link too tight, so I took it off and reinstalled it, not so tight but tight enough for the codder pins. and I got rid of my memory steer, and found it more free moving. remember, just because the grease comes out doesn't mean it's full, drive around for a week aiming for those pot holes and re-grease your ball joints. I think it helped too.

good luck (btw I got manual steering)
65mustang-SOLD-200ci-t5-scarebird disks-vintage air ac-264/274 110 cam-mav 8inch 3.8 open-350cfm-CI headers
66 Bronco-SOLD-i6 170 - rust bucket never ran...
75 bronco-SOLD-v8 c4 dana 20 33's and disk brakes, locker front/rear.

Sedanman

Post #7 by Sedanman » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:14 am

Thanks for the tip, MPG. I've had the same center link on for years (it's the only part that hasn't been rebuilt or replaced, including the steering box) but will double check that. When greasing, don't you stop when the handle on the gun gets tight? I have always been leery of bursting the dust boot.

One thing that has helped is that I just lowered the back end of my car another inch since I posted this. It was sitting on a rake before, and I'm going for a more kustom look than hot rod so got some taller lowering blocks. It's sitting close to level now, maybe 1/2 inch higher in back. I'll be posting a thread about this soon. Only a inch off the rear pinion snubber now though - bottom's out once in a while but looks great with the new stance!

Anyway, I decided to drive it last Friday and it tracked much better on the freeway. I stopped by the alignment shop and the tech said I probably added about a degree of caster to the front end by doing this. It's still not as good as it should be, but when I'm done replacing parts I will have it aligned with more caster. I think they set it to 2 degrees last time even though I gave him the instructions from the wedge kit that suggested 3 degrees, so I will make sure he does it.
Thor

MPGmustang
FSP Moderator

Post #8 by MPGmustang » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:59 pm

the dust boot will first leak before it's bursts, so far so good, don't have any anoying sqeaks and turning is still becoming easier at every pot-hole... although bump steer is more noticable.
65mustang-SOLD-200ci-t5-scarebird disks-vintage air ac-264/274 110 cam-mav 8inch 3.8 open-350cfm-CI headers
66 Bronco-SOLD-i6 170 - rust bucket never ran...
75 bronco-SOLD-v8 c4 dana 20 33's and disk brakes, locker front/rear.

Sedanman

Post #9 by Sedanman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:54 am

The front end shop did some searching and found some Moog tie rod ends for me at O'Reilly. Price, $125 each :shock: I think I'll probably go with the higher quality overseas stuff from Mustangs Plus....
Thor