OEM Six steering components dangerous ?

Moderator: Mod Squad

powerband
FSP Moderator

OEM Six steering components dangerous ?

Post #1 by powerband » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:28 am

V8 front steering gear and 5lug spindle conversions are popular on V8 swaps and HiPo builds. Has any actual evidence of six-car component critical failure occurred with forum members?.

Problems with OEM six cylinder front suspension/steering are anecdotal but I haven't found any acual critical failure reported.

Could increased stress due to Power Steering and lack of decel' braking with V8 automatic tranny in later cars have been Ford's concern?

Info appreciated, anectodes - not so much ... 8)

"Take time to stop and smell... The roadkill..."

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: OEM Six steering components dangerous ?

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:12 pm

Could increased stress due to Power Steering and lack of decel' braking with V8 automatic tranny in later cars have been Ford's concern?

Yes more weight and corning loads with V8 cars. The recommendation was to replace the 6 suspension on 64 down cars when doing a V8 swap have seen a few broken spindles when used hard yet have seen many more that did not have a problem too. I would say it depends on how you intend to use it hard cornering or auto cross etc. than I would upgrade, for a DD is ok as is. Before a big part of it was for a bigger set of brakes too now we have other option's on that.
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

CAMDEN289

Post #3 by CAMDEN289 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:01 am

Over the years I've seen a few broken spindles on the 64-66 Mustangs. My good friend and car Mentors' wife used to daily drive a 66 sprint 6 coupe, on two separate occaisions she had a spindle break,it was scary. After the second time he swapped in the v8 stuff for strength. Helping him replace the broken spindles scared me enough into converting my 66 6 cylinder over to the heavier dutier 5 lug stuff.

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Post #4 by rbohm » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:01 pm

8) the 66 and earlier mustang and falcon six cylinder spindles are suspect in regards to strength, and should have been made stronger from the factory. however we need to determine why these spindles break more often. a few reasons;

1: larger tires and wheels installed

2: lack of proper maintenance

3: excessive weight

4: micro fractures due to the lighter design

any of these can cause breakage. the rest of the system is fine though.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

dawnovsky

Post #5 by dawnovsky » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:16 pm

hi,

I ve broke a spindle recently on my 66 L6 mustang. And as many of you said, it was f***ing scary.
hopefully, very low speed when it happens save the car, and in some way my life too. the car end up laying on the backin plate after the wheel and drum fly away of the car !!!
That day i realize how dual brake system can be a great upgrade. Even considering the drag created by the car scratching the ground on backin plate, it does not slow down as quick as i would have wanted at the very moment.

Since i have rebuilt the all suspension (Upper/lower arm) and install new (understand used from JY) L6 spindle,.

looking closely at the broken spindle shows evidences of a weak design, may be factory defect (like bubble in the metal) but more surely too tight bearings.

I m now considering swapping to V8 spindle for both safety and 5 lugs and disc upgrade. I need a good how to to find out if V8 66 spindle could make it easily.

thanks for your assistance
1989 suzuki vitara JLX / 1984 Cadillac Seville 4.1 / 1966 200 L6 mustang with 250-2 oz head & clay smith cam, 350 holley, CI headers, DS2 ignition, 66 C4 with 67 valve Body

powerband
FSP Moderator

Post #6 by powerband » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:04 pm

Thanks dawnovsky for the addition to the info'

Does make me pause...

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #7 by CoupeBoy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:10 am

'67/'68 6cyl (4 lug) spindles are V8 strength and don't require wheel upgrades.

-ron

dawnovsky

Post #8 by dawnovsky » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:08 am

CoupeBoy wrote:'67/'68 6cyl (4 lug) spindles are V8 strength and don't require wheel upgrades.

-ron

as far as i know 67/68 spindle are not 100% compatible with 64/66 steering due to different ackerman geometry, as well as granada spindle (an often use donor car for disk brake swap)
discbrakeswap (CSRP http://www.discbrakeswap.com ) company is offering a nice conversion kit including either 64/66 V8 spindle (and steering kit for proper fittement (for both PS and MS)) or aftermarket granada type spindle with correct geometry for 64/66 mustang.
The kit are not so expensive and seems to be good quality and stock looking.
I m thinking about it since a while.
1989 suzuki vitara JLX / 1984 Cadillac Seville 4.1 / 1966 200 L6 mustang with 250-2 oz head & clay smith cam, 350 holley, CI headers, DS2 ignition, 66 C4 with 67 valve Body

Eric m

Post #9 by Eric m » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:24 am

Old thread but I am trying to decide to change to v8 or keep the 6 cyl spindles. I bought the car in 1989. In the next two years I had both spindles break at different times. Luckily at low speeds. I replaced with junkyard spindles and have been fine for 25 years. It is still in the back of my head however and I worry about one failing at high speed. I have the v8 spindles and believe they will work with my 6 cyl power steering as someone makes a bushing to fit the tie rods. Then I need a rear end though. Not sure which direction to go.

drag-200stang

Post #10 by drag-200stang » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:40 am

Eric m wrote:Old thread but I am trying to decide to change to v8 or keep the 6 cyl spindles. I bought the car in 1989. In the next two years I had both spindles break at different times. Luckily at low speeds. I replaced with junkyard spindles and have been fine for 25 years. It is still in the back of my head however and I worry about one failing at high speed. I have the v8 spindles and believe they will work with my 6 cyl power steering as someone makes a bushing to fit the tie rods. Then I need a rear end though. Not sure which direction to go.

The longer I live ,the more I want to keep living, Change the spindles. :shock:
I wrecked twice ! :bang:
66 Mustang Coupe
200 turbo w/lenco 4-spd
stock adj. rockers, stock timing set, ARP studs
best 1/4 mile ET 9.85/best mph 139 on 8 lbs progressing to 15 lbs boost
Went 9's when 10's was fast.

powerband
FSP Moderator

Post #11 by powerband » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:11 pm

lets do the time warp again...

I posted that question @ 5 years ago - 2011, and since then have driven the '61 Comet with original early front suspension components and a few tire and suspension changes. @ 3 years ago replaced the saggy original 6 cyl front springs with Maverick Six springs which added a little lift and bad bump steer on back roads . Late 2016 did the Shelby/Arney drop and re-installed saggy original six springs. Shelby drop, original springs and thick sway bar make the '61 drive and look almost like a real car.

I believe the lighter duty suspension components were more reliant on periodoc maintenance than later more robust ball joints but the basic design was not the problem. The 61's original Spring Perch is bronze bushed with grease fittings -smooth...

have fun

MPGmustang
FSP Moderator

Post #12 by MPGmustang » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:19 pm

In my opinion,

I too had the spindle fail on me, OEM and After market 'scarebird' hubs... even had to replace a spindle.

IF i did it again, I'd really contemplate on replacing EVERYTHING with brand new parts, oh wait I did with 6cyl parts... but I'd go 8cyl parts, get the 5 lug rims ($50 each for steelies) and swap the rear when it's time.

I did the whole lowering thing on my mustang, IMO, it rode worse, the rear sway bar was too stiff for the rear 1 inch drop springs, I even took it out.

the reason I would is because it would be that much easier to get BETTER after market parts than 50+ yr old OEM or cheaper OEM parts.
65mustang-SOLD-200ci-t5-scarebird disks-vintage air ac-264/274 110 cam-mav 8inch 3.8 open-350cfm-CI headers
66 Bronco-SOLD-i6 170 - rust bucket never ran...
75 bronco-SOLD-v8 c4 dana 20 33's and disk brakes, locker front/rear.