Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

E150 radius strut bushing R&R

Moderator: Mod Squad

mutt
VIP Member

E150 radius strut bushing R&R

Post #1 by mutt » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:10 pm

So, Ive been trying to unbolt the frame mounted box that holds the rear of the radius arm in place- '80 Econoline, Big 6, or course. 13/16th nuts inboard, 5/8 bolt heads outboard. Ca. truck, with oil undercoats- rust isn't much of an issue. after soaking in penetrating oil over night, with a cheater bar and a heck of a lot of force, I can't budge the nuts. I can't SEE a weld..... but I also note there is no washer between the nut & the bracket sub-assembly, which got my wrench-sense tingling. my chiltons is useless- it advises disassembling the entire front end, but thats under "remove radius arm" not "replace isolators/bushings" ...... can't get my impact wrench on them w/out dropping the tranny. whats the deal? Should I just cut the nuts w/ an angle grinder? I don't want to do that unless I KNOW they aren't welded to the bracket..... long lost Mutt

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Re: E150 radius strut bushing R&R

Post #2 by woodbutcher » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:29 pm

:beer: Hi Mutt.Glad to see that you are still among the living.Even if you have to cut the bolts,they can be replaced with grade 8 stuff.And then have someone to put a couple of spot welds for insurance on the nuts and bolt heads.Have helped on a couple of bushing jobs lately on F150`s,and the bolts just unscrewed with no problems.Hope this helps.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo
"People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election".
Otto von Bismarck

80broncoman
Global Moderator

Post #3 by 80broncoman » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:07 am

If I remember correctly most of radius arm brackets were riveted from the factory. you are lucky they are bolted even if the bolts won't budge. Sounds like some one has done this job before on that vehicle.
Short of a 5 foot pipe on a very good breaker bar,.... If mine I plug in that grinder and remove the head or nuts.
Remember those sound like 7/16th thread bolts.
OAPSE Union Member

Real men don't wear Bowties
When it come to engines If its .001 loose nobody knows, But if its .001 too tight EVERYBODY KNOWS!!
80 bronco FUV (farm utility vehicle)300 T-18 3.50s EFI head, offy C dual plenum, 500 edel carb, 1.7 roller rockers, Crane 260 cam EFI Exh

mutt
VIP Member

Post #4 by mutt » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:37 pm

Interesting deal. I HAD to get the damn thing off..... the nuts have a turned shoulder thats a press fit into the bracket. They are tighted to the point that the hex edges dig into the bracket steel- milder- and the swage fit makes the nuts unremoveable. almost. I got the truck higher- no lift, torches, etc- and got my trusty breaker bar-40 years Ive had it, its broken some ferocious tight stuff- and was able to get a couple of feet of pipe on that. Braced a leg against the front tire, and heaved. My torpedo like form rippled with muscle! joints cracked! Mighty is Mutt!! and... helloa! it budged. several more such efforts and I could run the nut off w/ a ratchet. Now, the reason I wrenched on the nut end was two fold: I would be also be trying to overcome the drag of any corrosion between the bolt and the welded in pipe it ran thru between the frame rails, and the rather thin 5/8 bolt head I was sure would strip, grade 8 or not. As it is, one of the nuts got a bit chewed; i saved that for last. I BENT that old breaker bar a tad! but the socket, an ancient Bonnie, older than the bar, didn't fail. So I repeated it on the top nut, got it off, tapped out the bolts, and hammered the socket on the damaged front nut, and heaved..... as I hoped, the entire bracket slowly rotated, giving me the room to replace the rubber biscuits. Id LIKE to do the other side, but jeez. My electric impact driver dosnt fit directly, I ran it thru a short extension and a u-joint, but the bolts won't budge. Built Ford Tough!........ ill reassemble today I think..... getting the bolt shoulders swaged back in the holes can't be as hard as getting them out. But yup: No washer, theres some deeper business going on..... good lord, I see some sort of Spell check has been implemented here! Devils work!!!!!!!!