How to replace lug studs?

Moderator: Mod Squad

papawfalcon

How to replace lug studs?

Post #1 by papawfalcon » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:55 am

I need to replace my front lug studs on my '62 Ranchero.I beat on them and then looks like there is some kind of ring that is stoping it from comming off. I'm afraid of breaking my drum? Any ides? Thanks Ken.
FALCONS AND RANCHERO'S FOREVER

jamyers
VIP Member

Re: How to replace lug studs?

Post #2 by jamyers » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:08 pm

You really need a press to push them out. I forget, but don't the front drums come off the hub, and you'd press the lug studs out of the hub?
James - '62 Ranchero (200cid), '71 LeSabre (464cid)

The ONLY safety device we need is a 6" sharpened steel spike bolted to the center of the steering wheel of EVERY vehicle.
Emergency Rooms and Funeral Homes will be busy for a week or so, then I predict a dramatic drop in vehicle accidents.

papawfalcon

Post #3 by papawfalcon » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Yes drum comes off the hub. Thanks Ken.

stu in wichita

Post #4 by stu in wichita » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:09 am

The front lug studs are swaged in place at the factory. After assembling, a small amount of the stud shank metal is displaced, forming a small ring or bulge to hold the drum in place. It's not necessary, since the lug nuts hold everything together, but they did it for ease of handling the sub-assembled parts. Removing the swaged material can be a pain. It sounds like yours are still swaged, which indicates that your drums have never been replaced in 54 years.

You have several options:

- There's a cutter available to run down over the stud and cut the bulge off. It resembles a deep hole saw, with an inside diameter the same size as the stud shank. There is some risk of damaging the drum and/or stud if you're not careful. Do a search of the forum to find a link to the tool. I think it costs around $40.

- If you're replacing the drums, just use a grinder or cut-off wheel and get rid of the swage, which extends a bit lower than the surface of the drum. You'll probably hack up the drums, but new ones are cheap. New studs are also cheap. This is what I did.

- If you try to just muscle them out with a press, be careful. You'll likely ruin the studs, and maybe the drum and hub. When you push the enlarged stud through a smaller hole, something's got to give.

- Some people have pounded them out with a big hammer, but I don't advise that - damage is really likely.

Good luck.
-Stu

papawfalcon

Post #5 by papawfalcon » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:43 pm

Thanks so much. I used a file to get that area around the stud that the factory. Then they came out using a big{OLD} socket on the backside and pressed them out in my vice. Almost easy. Thanks again.