Tire is touching Upper control arm!!

Moderator: Mod Squad

DannyB-67

Tire is touching Upper control arm!!

Post #1 by DannyB-67 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:12 am

So back in march I decided to get some new wheels and tires for the car. 235/60/15 cooper cobras on 15" B/G wheels. looks good and had no problem installing them. Recently I had to drop my oil pan and changed the seal that was leaking and when I did it required me to drop the sway bar. No big deal there. After putting everything back together, I noticed that the front passenger tire was leaning and touching the upper control arm. It sat just fine and wasn't touching before I changed the seal. So in an attempt to fix this, I changed the upper ball joint. That did'nt fix it. Changed out the sway bar mounting bushings and the end link bushings. That still didn't fix it. I even went as far as thinking maybe I put the wheel back on crooked, nope. Now I'm really not sure what it could be. If the wheel needed spacers, than it should have needed them from the get go and both sides would need them, right? Any help or ideas would be awesome. Thanks guys!!
67 Mustang, 200 CI inline six, holly 2bl, Open headers, front disc brakes, stock bottom end...Just the beginning!

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Re: Tire is touching Upper control arm!!

Post #2 by CoupeBoy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm

And when you drop it down onto the ground it still contacts the UCA?

You do need to drive it forward/back to relieve the tension on the balljoints/tire tread.
If you do not want to drive it because it is touching, the other trick I just read about from some falcon guys is to lay down a few plastic grocery bags, when you let the tire back down, the tire will slip on the layered plastic until the tension is released.

There is a chance that when you jacked it up to put tires on you jacked it by the LCA, and when you jacked it up this time you did it by the frame.

DannyB-67

Re: Tire is touching Upper control arm!!

Post #3 by DannyB-67 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:12 pm

Yah its still touching when you let it down. and ill try driving it back and forth. iv gotten that reply from a few people. just been a little iffy about it but ill bite the bullet and give it a shot.
67 Mustang, 200 CI inline six, holly 2bl, Open headers, front disc brakes, stock bottom end...Just the beginning!