Drill out Spindles? 61 Falcon

Moderator: Mod Squad

slimjimandtherats

Drill out Spindles? 61 Falcon

Post #1 by slimjimandtherats » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:11 am

So, I'm going through the woes of replacing lower ball joints for my 61 falcon wagon and went and ordered some new a-arms off rockauto. They came in today, but i quickly found the style wasn't correct. The original has a tapered bolt on the ball joint, while the aftermarket has a continuous thickness bolt. I was contemplating just drilling out the bottom of the spindle to accept the newer lower ball joint, and thus keep the new ones but i thought it'd be worth bringing up before making any hasty decisions. I'd like to keep the current setup on the front end for the time being. Eventually, i'll hit up the junk yards and find me some updated suspension parts. Cheers
:beer:

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Drill out Spindles? 61 Falcon

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:40 am

:hmmm: your right to be concerned!, for sure don't drill out the taper of the spindles, send those A Arms back! To further confuse the issue 1961 was a change over year so there was different parts used on the early built cars (carried over from the 1960 model Falcons) and the later built cars got an improved design part. Good luck :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

slimjimandtherats

Post #3 by slimjimandtherats » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:21 pm

Right on, I find it is very difficult locating a set of correct style lower ball joints without spending a good chunk of cash. For that kind of money, I'd find it worth hunting down an early model mustang and swapping the front end, to include a-arms, spindles, brakes ect... Maybe someone could elaborate on a better plan of action. I think switching them out now would be a wise decision.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #4 by bubba22349 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:07 pm

:hmmm: Yes if you have it or are taking it apart then it might be better to swap it out and or rebuild what you have depending on your over all planed use for that Falcon Wagion, so here is some more info! Ford kept improving the front spindles and front suspension parts for the Falcons and Comets over time. Much of this was due to the hard use of Falcons in places like Australia, Africa etc. and also what they learned in Fords Rally Racing program. The very best and the final design of these parts were those used on the 1965 V8 Falcon and Comets, the spindles are stronger and all the steering parts were improved to provide much better geometry. This design is also the bases of parts used on the 1965 and 66 Mustangs. Another good spindle if you want to run Disk Brakes on the front are the Ford Granada and its Mercury version, the steering arms are not quite right for Facons or Mustangs so require some bending to get the geometry right. The aftermarket has also made some Gramada spindle copies that have the right geometry to fit them though.

As an example here is my plan for an early Falcon / Comet build (1960 to 1965) , planed use will be a Daily Diver plus some racing use.

I have been hunting for an early Falcon or Comet Tudor Wagon to build for awhile now though most them are way outside of my low budget range so I might have to settle for something else. My Chassis build will use most of the 1965 up Falcon / Comet V8 front suspension parts with the Shelby mod (Dropped Lower Control Arm). Rollerized spring purch'es maybe full Rollerized A Arms too. With the addition of Front Disk Brakes, a later model steering box 1968 up to a Granada or posablely a Rack N Pinion setup with a custom Tilt wheel column. The front spring towers will be straightened back up to specs, molded some for some extra clearance, and reinforced by welding in plates like those that were used on a Boss 302 and Trans Am race cars. A custom Monte Carlo Bar and Export Brace and also a set of sub frame connectors. The front Springs rates to suite the 200 or 250 engines weight probally about like the 1966 Mustang GT plus then would also use the GT front sway bar or a custom tuned one along with the matching rear sway bar. Set of Koni or QA1 adjustable Shocks. Still thinking about the rear suspension but basically though will at least have a set of rear Wagion / Ranchero springs maybe with an added extra leaf plus about a 3/4 inch sway bar, set of old Traction Masters or Caltracks. I am also seriously considering ditching all the stock parts and going with a 4 bar with coil overs with a Watts Link type sway bar. Well that's the plan for now will see if it happens anytime soon. Good luck on your 61 Falcon Wagon build :nod:

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

slimjimandtherats

65/66 mustang v8 spindles (prev. drill out falcon spindles)

Post #5 by slimjimandtherats » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:22 am

Yew!! Thanks for the response bubba, I actually just stumbled upon a 63 wagon up the way in seattle that looks to have a 260 v8! I don't know how many first gen v8 wagons rolled off the assembly line, but I'd be willing to bet it wasn't many!! I'm kinda kicking myself cause this guy isn't asking much more than i payed for my 61 170cid wagon

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/5793054726.html

As it turns out, i possibly found a pair of 65/66 v8 spindles up in tacoma washington that i was planning on picking up next weekend. The guy already pulled them down from flakeslist, but could someone verify these babies are the real deal? He wasn't asking a whole bunch for them and when I asked for a casting number he said couldn't read much more than 3 numbers (#107).

hotrodguy

Post #6 by hotrodguy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:37 am

I went thru this upgrading my early 62 to later control arm and tie rod ends. I had the ball joint opening on the spindles machined out , did not need much removed. Should work just fine.

slimjimandtherats

Post #7 by slimjimandtherats » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:37 am

For what its worth, this guys asking only 100bones for the spindles, so it might just be worth wild to jump on the wagon with these. From what i recall, the v8's are a bit beefier, correct?
Turns out he verified the castings and they check out. Correct year v8 spindles. :D

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #8 by bubba22349 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:19 pm

:wow: that a nice looking 1963 Wagon :thumbup: wish I was closer it's almost in my price range too, am very low budget now days LOL. That said the 1963 V8 Falcons and Comets had the first major improvement in spindle strength and also was the only year of the round body's that had the stronger 8 inch rear axel too. It is the perfect bolt in upgrade rear axel to fit any of the early round body Falcons and Comets.

X2 if you could find the correct tapered remer or a machine shop to do it it on your current spindles that could work.

Yes the V8 spindles are beefier. To get all the benefit in the improved steering geometry of the 1965 up Falcon system you will need the compleate front supention system i.e. The Spindles, A Arms, the tie Rod center link, tie rods, idler arm, boxes steering arm (you might also need the steering box depending on what your steering shaft measures), and the drum front brakes could be a little bigger so that is a good upgrade too, unless your going to go with disks. Would he give you a deal on the total package? Good luck :nod:

slimjimandtherats

Post #9 by slimjimandtherats » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:44 pm

Ok, well would the i6 spindles handle the v8 stress? I havn't asked the gentleman yet, but I'm on a tight budget and I like finding parts one at a time and slowly building up the inventory. For what it's worth, that v8 falcon would save alot of time and money vs swapping everything over. I'm so tempted to get my ol girl wrapped up and sold and swap cars to a v8 falcon wagon. The i6 is rad as all heck, but the power bug is setting in.
It just sucks, having spent 6 months with this one. I'm kinda getting attached to this ol girl.
I might ask my boss if he can work something out. We've got a mill in the back shop that'd do the job rather easy. We will see. For now, i ordered some old stock aussie lower ball joints, that should be arriving here in the next couple of days.
On another note, i picked up an original single barrel carb over the weekend, and the guy showed me this rather bitchen 63' econoline truck he just picked up. Originally used by the USAF. He picked that thing up for a song!! Rather bitchen lil hotrod. I'll have to dump some pictures i took, when i get off work today. Cheers

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #10 by bubba22349 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:49 pm

I understand having a small budget and collecting parts slowly over time. Ok the early I-6 (six cyclinder) spindles (1960 to 64) are really not suited for V8 power that's in my opine (the evidence is also that starting in mid 1963 Ford didn't think so either when they started installing V8's or they would have used the same spindles for both six and V8 cars). Over the years many have used the early I-6 spindles with V8's on drag race cars in straight line use successfully. But on the street I have seen a number of others with spindle failures when used with V8 swaps. For myself I just won't take the risk for something I am going to drive hard. As long as your staying with the small six 144, 170, or even a 200 you will be fine using the stock spindles. The dividing line for me is with a 250 six or a SBF V8 power swap the engine weight is about same for each. Good luck :nod: