correct spindles for v8 steering and 14" wheels.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Dragonlich1961

correct spindles for v8 steering and 14" wheels.

Post #1 by Dragonlich1961 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:52 pm

i'm still a bit confused as to which spindles are needed to convert my 61 to v8, 5 lugs disced spindles. i know that all the linkage must be changed, and that the upper ball join must be changed.
im confued on the spindles, i now 65 stang v8 spindles will work. local yard has an 80- granada with unknown engine, would it be worth grabing these spindles to use, provided they are v8. i read stuff about saying to stay away from the granda stuff becuase of bad bump steer and incorect steering geometry, but those were always in refrence to the 6cyl steering, not the v8.

thanks Chris

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: correct spindles for v8 steering and 14" wheels.

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:11 pm

You have several chooses, Ford redesigned the Falcon / Comet (the Mercury version) spindles a number of times from the orginal or first 1960 parts due to what they learned in use around the world plus later in their many racing programs (the Performance years) starting in 1963. The first V8 5 lug spindles you could use are the 1963 1/2 year model, the 1964 V8, or the best of the V8 Falcon / Comet spindles that also had improved steering geometry these were built for the V8 Falcons in 1965, the 1965 & 66 V8 Mustangs also shared in these improved designs. Their are a number of others too in the 1966 and up Falcons & Comets, Mavericks / Comets, etc. You can get disk brake kits to fit these early drum brake spindles or hunt for some of the factory type disk brake spindles.

As far as the Granada / Monarch disk brake spindles they use the same one on both of the 6 cylinder or V8 cars they will work though the geometry is a little off when used on an early car (this is because of the Ackerman principal) if your experienced & equipped for modding parts (or you could have it done) this could be fixed by carefully bending the steering arms until this is corrected. There are also aftermarket versions of the Granada spindles that are designed and made with the correct geometry to fit the 1965 & 66 Mustangs. Depending on how your going to use your car the Granada spindles may be fine as they are, and if you can get them at a resnable price then all you would need to find are the 1965 V8 Falcon steering parts i.e. The center link, tie rods, idler arm, and steering arm, also depending on your steering boxes shaft diameter you may need to change it too. In that case It would be a good idea safety wise to get a later model steering box like the from that Granada plus a later model collapsable type steering colum ie like from a 1968 up or an aftermarket one. Good luck :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Dragonlich1961

Post #3 by Dragonlich1961 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:58 pm

still have the ornginal column and gearbox, which is a manual box, which should be correct. eventaully i would love to get rid of the spear which is called the steering column, but i need a colaspable 3 OTT column and not to sure how readilly availble that may be.

vehicle will be used as a daily driver, fun play thing. no major races, though it may see a strip a few times a year. plans are to use new 65 falcon steering and suspension(I have the old ball upper ball joint).

sounds like if its a right price at the right time deal, if not then just hold out for the 65 stang parts, think csrp sells a kit specifally for the falcon which includes new 65 stang spindles and calipers that will fit most oem 14's, i'm using really late model 14's off of a ranger.
i don't really want to have to mix and match parts to get something that will work,

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #4 by bubba22349 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:20 pm

You can do the disk and steering upgrades all using the correct factory Ford parts and the Ranger 14 inch wheels should clear the disk brakes if not the Granada ones will. When your doing your swap I would also do the LCA or which is more know as the Shelby drop this also helps with improving the Falcons, Mustangs, etc. handling. As far as the Ackerman it can be checked with a couple of string lines pulled from the center point of the rear axle housing up to spindles pivot centers to find out if the steering arms line up along this line. Good luck sounds like a real fun project. :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.