Removing rust with electrolysis

Moderator: Mod Squad

1966Mustang
Administrator

Removing rust with electrolysis

Post #1 by 1966Mustang » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:52 pm

This topic has been done to death and a google search will support that, but I thought I'd do a How-To anyway.

My CSRP Spindles weren't painted when I first bought them, and had since rusted over the years and pairing them up with my new Street or Track Coil Overs just really diminished from the whole look. Electrolytic processes are quite fun... I ended up de-rusting quite a few other parts (rotors, drums, nuts/bolts, spring perches, etc.) and playing with DIY galvanizing and phosphating - using mostly found materials (disassembling alkaline batteries, zinc electrical fittings, etc.). At the height of my madness I cleaned up my rear axle by hanging the 7.25 backing plate end into a 5 gallon bucket filled with white vinegar and flipping it to do the other end after a couple weeks. It really worked (dunno if I screwed up my seals/bearings yet).

electro1.png
electro2.png
spindles.png

Stovebolt has a good PDF on the setup here: http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolysis.pdf

- Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'65 Mustang Coupe, C4, DUI, CompCams 260, Addco 1", StreetOrTrack Front Bilstein Coilover System, Bilstein Rear Shocks, 4-1/2 leaf springs.

Support our forum:
Like us on Facebook, watch us on YouTube, Buy FordSix Gear , Make a Donation!

1bad6t

Re: Removing rust with electrolysis

Post #2 by 1bad6t » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:59 pm

I been known to electrocute a few parts myself...it's magic

Image Image
Jeff in Georgia
'74 Maverick 250/C4

fast64ranchero

Re: Removing rust with electrolysis

Post #3 by fast64ranchero » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:59 am

I've use Molasses and water (15 to 1 ratio) to remove rust, works great and you can use the left over liquid as a fertilizer..
63 Ranchero,1965 Mercury Comet Convert V-8, 1978 Fairmont small six, mill'd off intake, 62-1 ET 12.332 @ 123.49 mph (gone)