Removable shock tower cover (inside wheel well)

Moderator: Mod Squad

62Ranchero200

Removable shock tower cover (inside wheel well)

Post #1 by 62Ranchero200 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:56 pm

Greetings Ford Six Fans,

My project for the holidays is to replace my stock coil springs and front shocks with some stiffer springs (to gain more ride height for my 15" wheels) and Lakewood drag shocks.

In order to get the stock springs off, I had to remove the shock tower cover inside the wheel well. It was a PITA because the bolts that held it on required one side to be held while the other side was turned, and the bolts were tight as heck because they've probably never been removed since the car was new 54 years ago and were rusted in place.

Is this shock tower cover just there to keep dirt and water out of the shock area? If so, I would leave it off; I only drive the Ranchero on fair weather days, never on dirt roads and very seldom in any rain. On the other hand, if the removable cover was structurally necessary, I would reluctantly reinstall it.

Thank you,
Bob the Builder
62 Ranchero, 252 cid, 300 rods, RaceTek pstns, ARP mains bolts & studs, balanced & blueprinted, CI AL head, 1.6 adj rckrs, Smith Bros, 274/274/108 cam, CI int, Holley 500, DSII, CI SS hdrs, PowerMaster strtr and 1wire alt, Optima, V8 rad, T-5z, 10" organic clutch, 5 lug 8" diff /w 3.00, rear drums, front 5 lug discs, Centerlines. Next: 3.80 Traction Loc.

1966Mustang
Administrator

Re: Removable shock tower cover (inside wheel well)

Post #2 by 1966Mustang » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:07 am

I believe it is structural and one of its main purposes is to support the upper bump stop. I have seen aftermarket tubular 'open' style ones and even with my fancy coil overs I am using them.
I hear what you're saying though. Possibly might help with nose dive and scraping something up in a hard braking situation.
That said, I have seen installations without them... perhaps another benefit is reinforcing where the front and rear inner aprons join up.

On the bright side... if you put them back on you won't have to do it again!

-Perry
'65 Mustang Coupe, C4, DUI, CompCams 260, Addco 1", StreetOrTrack Front Bilstein Coilover System, Bilstein Rear Shocks, 4-1/2 leaf springs.

Support our forum:
Like us on Facebook, watch us on YouTube, Buy FordSix Gear , Make a Donation!

turbo2256b

Re: Removable shock tower cover (inside wheel well)

Post #3 by turbo2256b » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:31 am

It is structural

62Ranchero200

Next dumb question - spring insulators

Post #4 by 62Ranchero200 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:14 pm

When I took the old front coil springs out, a flat, circular metal piece was on top of it:

If there was ever anything else, like a rubber piece between the spring and the metal piece, it was long gone.

The new springs from Dearborn Classics came with rubber spring insulators:

Are there to REPLACE the metal insulators, or to use IN ADDITION TO the metal insulators?

Thanks
Bob
62 Ranchero, 252 cid, 300 rods, RaceTek pstns, ARP mains bolts & studs, balanced & blueprinted, CI AL head, 1.6 adj rckrs, Smith Bros, 274/274/108 cam, CI int, Holley 500, DSII, CI SS hdrs, PowerMaster strtr and 1wire alt, Optima, V8 rad, T-5z, 10" organic clutch, 5 lug 8" diff /w 3.00, rear drums, front 5 lug discs, Centerlines. Next: 3.80 Traction Loc.