Edel IAS shock equivalent for 68 Mustang ???

Moderator: Mod Squad

sefus

Edel IAS shock equivalent for 68 Mustang ???

Post #1 by sefus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Back in the mid 2000's where all the forum posts are dated that the google searches take me to, the ideal shock for street mustangs was the Edelbrock IAS. They sold their entire suspension line to QA1 (in 2009 I think), but from what Im reading, the equivalent nowadays is actually a KYB Excel-G. I have a hard time wanting to buy KYB anything, but also dont want to spend Koni money for this simple project.

So the question besides who can confirm all that above, is, what the heck is the right shock for a bare bones stock-ish coupe out on the road?
68 Mustang Coupe, 200-C4
Full DSII/MSD firing package; Blistein shocks, 1" front sway, SD export and monte carlo braces; Grant wood grain wheel.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Edel IAS shock equivalent for 68 Mustang ???

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:17 pm

sefus wrote:Back in the mid 2000's where all the forum posts are dated that the google searches take me to, the ideal shock for street mustangs was the Edelbrock IAS. They sold their entire suspension line to QA1 (in 2009 I think), but from what Im reading, the equivalent nowadays is actually a KYB Excel-G. I have a hard time wanting to buy KYB anything, but also dont want to spend Koni money for this simple project.

So the question besides who can confirm all that above, is, what the heck is the right shock for a bare bones stock-ish coupe out on the road?

Hi sefus, yes most of what you stated above is accurate, personally I like the Knoni's for some performance applications. That said for a stock street ride on a low budget yet you still would be gaining a big step up from the old style OEM shocks that these Mustangs came with back in their day. If that's your goal then you should look at the Monroe's and Gabriel's these are both a gas charged shock that will give very good performance combined with a decent set of Radel Tires. You can probally still find the NOS old Heavy Duty stock type non gas charged shocks too from some of the Antique Auto Parts houses prices would be about the same price range as Monroe's and Gabriel's.

I believe these are the part numbers that would fit your Mustang "Monroe' # 33059 Fronts and # 31069 Rears", "Gabriel's # 81076 Fronts and # 81270". Either of these brands should be able to be found in the under $75.00 price range for a full set of four not counting tax. After that the next step up are the Scott Drake shocks he makes a set of performance shocks too in the under $150.00 range. Hope that's of some help to you, Good luck :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.