Shelby Drop LCA Camber fix ?

Moderator: Mod Squad

powerband
FSP Moderator

Shelby Drop LCA Camber fix ?

Post #1 by powerband » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:50 am

After Shelby Drop (1" down and 1/8 back), the '61's Camber is Positive with all UCA shims removed, not good alignment wise.

Adjustable LCA camber setups for popular '"65 Mustang" apps' fit 60-65 Falcon/Comets as well. Seems simple to move LCA Pivot Bolt flange outward .

OpenTracker setup is common with slots added to the LCA's frame bracket. Most pictures installed, show LCA bushing pivot bolt moved @ 1/2" outward to get some range of Caster and fine Camber adjustment with UCA shims. OpenTracker requires removing LCA's frame bracket folded flange

Considering: Setting the UCA shims to give some range In / Out (@ 3/8" ?) , then set spindle Camber close to Zero and Re-drill lower LCA flange pivot bolt holes outward as needed to keep @ zero setting. Then final camber could be set with UCA's leaving some range for caster adjustment as well. After re-drilling Grade-8 washers would be tacked in place.

Any experience with OpenTracker or other Camber fixs' or Longacre alignment gauge info appreciated.

have fun
"Take time to stop and smell... The roadkill..."

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Shelby Drop LCA Camber fix ?

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:57 pm

powerband wrote:After Shelby Drop (1" down and 1/8 back), the '61's Camber is Positive with all UCA shims removed, not good alignment wise.

Adjustable LCA camber setups for popular '"65 Mustang" apps' fit 60-65 Falcon/Comets as well. Seems simple to move LCA Pivot Bolt flange outward .

OpenTracker setup is common with slots added to the LCA's frame bracket. Most pictures installed, show LCA bushing pivot bolt moved @ 1/2" outward to get some range of Caster and fine Camber adjustment with UCA shims. OpenTracker requires removing LCA's frame bracket folded flange

Considering: Setting the UCA shims to give some range In / Out (@ 3/8" ?) , then set spindle Camber close to Zero and Re-drill lower LCA flange pivot bolt holes outward as needed to keep @ zero setting. Then final camber could be set with UCA's leaving some range for caster adjustment as well. After re-drilling Grade-8 washers would be tacked in place.

Any experience with OpenTracker or other Camber fixs' or Longacre alignment gauge info appreciated.

have fun

Have you checked to see if the spring towers are still standing up straight? Many after all these years are sagging inward. Good luck :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

thesameguy

Post #3 by thesameguy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:15 pm

Something does seem amiss. I have 1 or 2 degrees negative camber and still a small shim or two on my Shelby'd '62.

powerband
FSP Moderator

Post #4 by powerband » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:20 pm

... thanks for the continued discussion,

Shock towers and most of front end are solid and don't presume frame too far out of spec. Parts and specs may be strange with the early 61 Comet.

I moved the LCA pivot bolts out @ 3/8 inch , now UCA shims are in reasonable range of negative camber - positive caster.

With a bubble ( ) - / \ gauge, I'm zero'ing in on the alignment, getting close to @ -.25-.50 camber and @ 3 degrees caster. My Toe In measurement setup needs more simplicity and accuracy . Planning on adding adjustable caster strut rods for more options and fun ...

Very drivable and a different body response in curves. Bump steer is minimal, more modern feel - non-PS (maybe slightly heavier?) .

I made a Ford spec front UCA support years ago and finally used today today @ ten UCA adjustments.

have fun

Image .Image .Image
"Take time to stop and smell... The roadkill..."

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #5 by bubba22349 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:33 am

:beer: nice detailing work on the front end parts. :thumbup:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.