Early 1961 6 cyl to 1965 v8 steering and suspension conversion + strut rod interchange.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Dragonlich1961

Early 1961 6 cyl to 1965 v8 steering and suspension conversion + strut rod interchange.

Post #1 by Dragonlich1961 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:48 am

Looking to install a new front suspension on my 61, which i've found to be an early model, (framerail style trans member).
I have to install,
65 mustang spindles with disc brakes.
65 mustang v8 upper and lower control arms,
original 61 Brass bushings spring perches.
orignial 61 steering box, 6cyl.

need to order
65 falcon steering, (TRE's) Idler, and center link. v8 style.
New springs, Mine are soft and sit low.

What confuses me is what to do about the strut rods. ive read that the spacing is wrong and something has to be modified.
Second issues is that one of my strut rods broke when removed. broke the threaded shaft right inside the outer nut. Not useable. These strut rods have a seperate steering stop. mine also have two nuts, so they are adjustable.
What year and model strut rod can i use to replace mine, ideally both.
Thanks Chris

powerband
FSP Moderator

Re: Early 1961 6 cyl to 1965 v8 steering and suspension conversion + strut rod interchange.

Post #2 by powerband » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:10 am

I have to install,
65 mustang spindles with disc brakes.
65 mustang v8 upper and lower control arms,
original 61 Brass bushings spring perches.
orignial 61 steering box, 6cyl.

what to do about the strut rods. ive read that the spacing is wrong and something has to be modified.
Second issues is that one of my strut rods broke when removed. broke the threaded shaft right inside the outer nut. Not useable. These strut rods have a seperate steering stop. mine also have two nuts, so they are adjustable.
What year and model strut rod can i use to replace mine, ideally both.

The '61 LCA's have different strut rod hole spacing but your '65 LCA swap will need the later struts anyway. The early and then some '63 are adjustable (AFAIH). I recommend either aftermarket adjustable strut rods or adjustable OEM 's with correct bushings for theat strut rod .

BIG advantage is it greatly simplifies achieving an accurate 'modern' alignment. The original alignment specs using UCA shim adjustment were usually suitable for 600-13 bias-ply tires on 1961 roads at 45 MPH. The shim alignment often can't align to specs' more suitable for higher speeds and larger radial tires. Adjustable strut rods provide a greater range and accuracy of caster alignment.

aftermarket with bushings makes it easy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPC-94220-Adjus ... 2015576468

BTW

My '61 is a N.E. junkyard rescue and the strut rod frame bracket was rotted off. replacement strut rod brackets are availble for '65 Mustang application

have fun
"Take time to stop and smell... The roadkill..."