Boxing control arms

Moderator: Mod Squad

62Cometman

Boxing control arms

Post #1 by 62Cometman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:49 pm

So ive gotten some new suspension and steering stuff to put onto the comet to finally revive the handling on the ol' girl, first i wanted to try and upgrade just the standard stock stuff and was thinking of try to box the control arms and then replace the spring perches with roller ones and lastly replace the springs. Has anyone boxed the uppers before i find pictures of lowers boxed all over but nothing for the upper. Also im pretty sure i already know the answer but, early mustang I6 springs are the same as falcon/comet I6 spring right?? or is the ride height perhaps different??
1962 Mercury Comet 170 ci, 2.77 Trans, 3.10:1 7.25 rear.
She ain't fast but she's fun. 8)

powerband
FSP Moderator

Re: Boxing control arms

Post #2 by powerband » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:50 pm

Of course 60-62 springs are listed separately and a more expensive than typical listed #8088 (six car) and #8090 ( V8) for 63-65.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll ... 2~cadffeja

On a '61 Comet with Maverick six spindles, I used Maverick six springs (8088?) cut 1/2 coil and still is @ 1" higher than stock which matches the supposedly stock height replacement rear springs - which sit @ 1" high ...

I had replaced the UCA's with the new Dynacorn 'upgraded bushing' type and had a problem getting the camber aligned. With no UCA shims installed , still had positive camber. Cheap Dorman replacements had no problem with -1/2 to -1 degree camber alignment with shims. I first tried moving LCA's outward to compensate for positive camber but seemed to screw up Ackerman angles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upper-Control-A ... ao&vxp=mtr

Also used original to car- 61 bronze bushed perches still in great shape,

have fun
"Take time to stop and smell... The roadkill..."

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #3 by bubba22349 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:30 pm

62Cometman wrote:So ive gotten some new suspension and steering stuff to put onto the comet to finally revive the handling on the ol' girl, first i wanted to try and upgrade just the standard stock stuff and was thinking of try to box the control arms and then replace the spring perches with roller ones and lastly replace the springs. Has anyone boxed the uppers before i find pictures of lowers boxed all over but nothing for the upper. Also im pretty sure i already know the answer but, early mustang I6 springs are the same as falcon/comet I6 spring right?? or is the ride height perhaps different??

I have boxed in the lower control arms on a few cars in my OPIN these are most important due to the leverage they can have working on them. I also boxed a set of upper rear contol arms and made and installed solid bushings for them on a 69 GTO once too. It shouldn't be all that hard to box a set of uppers thought (or buy them all ready done). For my next build up whenever I can find it (Falcon, Comet, or a Maverick) I am plaining to box both the upper and lower control arms along with a full Rollerized suspention too, this will be a multi perpose car for street, drag race, auto cross, and maybe even set up for a road course. Good luck on your build :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Post #4 by rbohm » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:28 pm

opentracker racing products has a couple of kits that can help you get where you want to be with the lower control arms;

http://opentrackerracing.com/product/di ... t-bracing/

http://opentrackerracing.com/product/di ... all-joint/

the first one is a boxing plate and a bearing conversion for the lower arm, the second one also includes a screw in ball joint conversion as well.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

62Cometman

Post #5 by 62Cometman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:50 am

Thanks for the help guys, Powerband im doing the shelby drop too so would cutting 1/2 a coil put me right about actual stock height since the upper control arm is dropping an 1"??
1962 Mercury Comet 170 ci, 2.77 Trans, 3.10:1 7.25 rear.
She ain't fast but she's fun. 8)

powerband
FSP Moderator

Post #6 by powerband » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:10 pm

62Cometman wrote:Thanks for the help guys, Powerband im doing the shelby drop too so would cutting 1/2 a coil put me right about actual stock height since the upper control arm is dropping an 1"??

With the Shelby Drop and Maverick six (8088's?) cut 1/2 coil, the '61's front actually was a little lower than stock. Moving the UCA's back to OEM position raised it @ 1" over stock height. Common theory says the Shelby drop only should lower @ 1/2". go figure...

have fun
"Take time to stop and smell... The roadkill..."