1966 Mustang manual steering ididit collumn installation question

Moderator: Mod Squad

gtvongt

1966 Mustang manual steering ididit collumn installation question

Post #1 by gtvongt » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:43 pm

I am putting an ididit tilt column in my Musang and there appears to be no way to seal up the shaft where it exits the box as the original had the column all the way to the box and the new one stops about 5 or 6 inches away and uses a coupler to marry the old and new column together.
With the top open it won't last long with dirt and water getting into it, so I am thinking of ways to fix it. I have come up with a method that uses the old column seal and a piece of the old column and a piece of 2.25 fuel line and clamps to seal it all up. (see the diagram)

How have others fixed the problem or am I missing part of the kit or the original steering gear? I can't believe other people just leave it open to the environment. Did the original shaft have an internal seal at the column end that is missing on mine? Was the only seal the column itself that sat over the flange with a rubber seal?
Any insight would be appreciated.

gtvongt

Re: 1966 Mustang manual steering ididit collumn installation question

Post #2 by gtvongt » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:14 am

Okay, so either no one ever used an ididit column or no one has ever closed up the gap in the shaft flange. Either way I am surprised. :)

65coupei6
Assistant Admin

Re: 1966 Mustang manual steering ididit collumn installation question

Post #3 by 65coupei6 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:36 am

Sorry, a little late to reply. But, I would ask the question over at the VMF. Or do a search there. I have seen a lot of threads on the swap.
...Marco

'65 Mustang Inline 200. VI (CI) Aluminum Head, Holley 350, Schneider 264/274 cam,
Headers, DSII, MSD 6A, and a whole lotta other stuff!

Build That Six With Parts From VintageInlines.com