Take two on radius arm bolts

Moderator: Mod Squad

brandoncw

Take two on radius arm bolts

Post #1 by brandoncw » Mon May 07, 2018 2:05 am

So i am completely rebuilding my 94 4x4 ttb front axle. Everything is getting replaced or repaired. Its gonna get steel shot blasted and powder coated black. I have some badly rusted bolts that hold the radius arm to the axle itself and I for the life of me cannot find the replacement bolts. Any help in finding them is appreciated.
This is the bolt i need here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Skilled labor isn't cheap, Cheap labor isn't skilled.

brandoncw

Re: Take two on radius arm bolts

Post #2 by brandoncw » Mon May 07, 2018 2:05 pm

"Breaking" News. With a big a** breaker bar a 4 ft cheater, and a torch. The bolts broke loose. Thats further than i was ever able to get at my first attempt. Im thinking about buying two grade 8 bolts that fit into the axle buy two more that fit the coil spring retainer nut and cut the head off it, then weld it to the headof the bolt for the axle. Thoughts?

Update, ive got it stripped to basically just the differential and the ball joints. I have not yet figured out how to remove them, and cant hardly tell what is ball joint and what it the axle....

mustang6
VIP Member

Post #3 by mustang6 » Tue May 08, 2018 2:24 am

Not sure why you wouldn't buy these new from Ford (except they are expensive!), I don't think I'd trust my front suspension to two bolts welded together....
Scott

68 Mustang 200 ci, Aussie 250-2V head, Dual Headers, Comp Cams 252H, DSII w/MSD 6AL, T-5, V8 suspension.

65 Ranchero 200 ci, late 170 head, Autolite 1101, 3.03 3 speed, Maverick 8" 4 lug rear with 3.55 gears.

brandoncw

Post #4 by brandoncw » Tue May 08, 2018 8:05 am

mustang6 wrote:Not sure why you wouldn't buy these new from Ford (except they are expensive!), I don't think I'd trust my front suspension to two bolts welded together....

The stud on top of the bolt doesnt take a heavy load, it just keeps the coil from falling out. And the last time i went to the ford dealer the had discontinued parts for my truck

Wesman07

Post #5 by Wesman07 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:28 am

James duff used to make a lot of part for ford front ends. Give them a shot. There is also Bronco graveyard
In-lines we trust

86 f150 300 efi with advanced stock cam. Np435, Dana 60/ 10.25, 35" BFG's, four link front suspension with 12" travel fox coil overs, custom deaver leaf pack in the rear.

brandoncw

Post #6 by brandoncw » Tue May 08, 2018 2:42 pm

Wesman07 wrote:James duff used to make a lot of part for ford front ends. Give them a shot. There is also Bronco graveyard

James doesnt have them, ill give the local salvage yard a call to see if he has any old 4x4 fords laying around. A torch really helped loosen them bolt up so hopfully i can find some in decent shape

brandoncw

Post #7 by brandoncw » Tue May 08, 2018 2:46 pm

Wesman07 wrote:James duff used to make a lot of part for ford front ends. Give them a shot. There is also Bronco graveyard

James doesnt have them, ill give the local salvage yard a call to see if he has any old 4x4 fords laying around. A torch really helped loosen them bolt up so hopfully i can find some in decent shape

Worst case scenario, i could have Fastenal make a couple

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #8 by bubba22349 » Tue May 08, 2018 3:05 pm

Out of curiosity what's wrong with the originals? They don't look all that bad that a good clean up and chase of the threads should refurbish them enough to reuse. Good luck :thumbup: :nod: :thumbup:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

brandoncw

Post #9 by brandoncw » Tue May 08, 2018 5:20 pm

bubba22349 wrote:Out of curiosity what's wrong with the originals? They don't look all that bad that a good clean up and chase of the threads should refurbish them enough to reuse. Good luck :thumbup: :nod: :thumbup:

mine rusted out nearly in two, towards the bottom of the top part of the studs ( kinda confusing wording I know) and werent very recognizable, the pic shown is a screenshot of a youtube video

I put a couple parts in the blaster, and I tell you what, they don't even look like the same part anymore. turns out I have 30 degree cambers in there, all that was covered in so much rust I couldn't tell what was camber and what was the axle if that tells you anything

Update: LMC trucks had the part. $18 and some change. So, i will not be rigging up some bolts or fighting with them at a salvage yard.