Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2018 Contributors:
StarDiero75, curts56, DannyG, B RON CO, wsa111, Captainslow42, falconcritter
Econoline, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, 95FordFleetside, turbo6, Max_Effort, WorldChampGramp
cr_bobcat, C.S.Designs, pmuller9, gus91326, rwbrooks50, rocklord, drag-200stang, Big64my79Effie, CNC-Dude, gb500

2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry

Unknown->> M.Ketterer, T.Smith, J.Myers, P.McIntire - Please PM me (1966Mustang) and lemme know who you are!

'65 Ranchero coil spring issues

Moderator: Mod Squad

rafaelb

'65 Ranchero coil spring issues

Post #1 by rafaelb » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:01 pm

When I replaced the UCAs on my '65 200cid manual no air Ranchero I took the opportunity to perform the Shelby drop as long as I had everything apart but upon reassembly noticed that the front end was way too low: The UCAs were just resting on the rubber snubbers. Bad.

So I took everything apart again and found that somewhere along the line someone had cut coils off the stock springs so I ordered a pair of Moog 8088s since they were listed as "universal" replacements and seemed to have the correct unloaded spring height.

But, after putting them on the front of the Rancho is now way way too high, like it's popping a wheelie too high. I have another '65 with a 289 and it seems to have about 2-1/2 inches clearance between the UCA and the snubber but now my 6 banger has like 6" and she barely settled at all after dropping down off the jack stands.

I'm thinking obviously I need to whack a coil or more off the 8088s? but is there a formula to know how much or is it strictly trial and error, which seems to be a pain, taking everything apart to cut a coil, reassembly the check, rinse and repeat.

If anyone has had a similar experience I'd appreciate it, or if there are some general guidelines for knowing how much to cut off that would be awesome. I've never done that before either, is there any trick to cutting the spring or can I just cut it with a cutoff wheel?

Thanks!
1964 Ranchero Deluxe 200cid 4sp future Rat Rod?

StarDiero75

Re: '65 Ranchero coil spring issues

Post #2 by StarDiero75 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:43 am

If yoy cut it, cut from both the top and bottom to get the correct height. Dont just cut one side of the coil to drop it. The center of the coil is stiffer than the ends, so cut the ends evenly to reduce to the proper height.
--1965 Ranchero w/1966 200, dual friction diaphram 9" Modern Driveline clutch and billet flywheel all balanced, 1985 SVO WC T5 with front shift, 1966 2.8 Ford 8", Weber 32/26 with VI adapter, CRT Performance HEI.
--1961 Studebaker Lark VI, OHV 170 l6 in the process of being resurrected. But it lives
--Creator of the only Weber 32/36 conversion video.

mustang6
VIP Member

Re: '65 Ranchero coil spring issues

Post #3 by mustang6 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:01 am

Nope, nope, nope... The top of the spring has a flattened edge that seats it against the top inside of the shock tower, cut that off and the spring will not seat properly. Cut the spring from the bottom only. These springs are not progressive so no part of them is stiffer than the other, but the overall spring will be stiffer when shortened so cut only what you need to get the desired ride height. When you get to that height, drive it around and see how stiff it is. If you don't like it you will have to start over with a less stiff spring.

To the original question, yes it is a bit of trial and error unfortunately. Your idea of using a cutoff wheel is good, some guys use a torch and the heat can change the physical characteristics of the steel and cause the springs to sag and become uneven in stiffness.
Scott

68 Mustang 200 ci, Aussie 250-2V head, Dual Headers, Comp Cams 252H, DSII w/MSD 6AL, T-5, V8 suspension.

65 Ranchero 200 ci, late 170 head, Autolite 1101, 3.03 3 speed, Maverick 8" 4 lug rear with 3.55 gears.