Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Ford 8.8 disc brake conversion, limited slip, and fixing wheel hop

Moderator: Mod Squad

88F15088

Ford 8.8 disc brake conversion, limited slip, and fixing wheel hop

Post #1 by 88F15088 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:29 am

First a little info about my truck: It's a 1988 F150 with 3.55 gears in a Ford 8.8 rear end. It has an 8 foot bed and 4" lift, and 33" tires. Also keep in mind I am not extremely knowledgeable about suspension behavior, but as always, learn a lot as I go.

My goals are to convert or swap to a limited slip for better traction on rainy days and when I get on the throttle with the turbo engine I am building. In 2nd gear (which I use as first, as first is a granny gear), if you get on the throttle a bit when it is wet outside the rear tires break loose. I can only assume one tire is breaking loose since it is an open differential and not limited slip.

My next issue is wheel hop, again, on rainy days if I get on the throttle to (purposefully) break the tire(s) loose, the wheel hop is so bad the whole truck violently rips back and forth. Obviously I no longer try this!

I also am considering a rear disc brake conversion, however, I have no real need for one other than easy maintenance in the future. I don't tow much, but I occasionally haul around 1000-1500 lbs of stuff in the bed. A disc brake conversion is probably at the bottom of my list, unless it's not too difficult to do with junkyard parts. I have heard some people using parts from an Explorer with an 8.8 to do their conversions.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have never modified suspension or brake parts other than replacing parts when they wear out.

B RON CO
VIP Member

Re: Ford 8.8 disc brake conversion, limited slip, and fixing wheel hop

Post #2 by B RON CO » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 pm

Hi, I am not a suspension expert either, but I would look at a couple of things.
Wheel hop is because the suspension , the springs and shocks, cannot control the axle.
If the springs are too stiff, like in an F 350,
Or the shocks are shot, or maybe something else.
When you get hard on the gas in an unloaded pick up truck the rear end won't squat (weight transfer) and the tires won't grip the same as if the bed is full.
I'm not going to say go and buy some traction bars, like for a muscle car, but I would get new shocks if you have old ones.
If you have big heavy truck like springs ( many trucks have add a leaf and helper springs from a past life) you can remove a leaf or two and see if the handling improves.
I would also try lowering the air pressure which will make the tire softer. I wouldn't hesitate to try @ 25 to 30 psi with an empty truck. If you load it up you may need to increase the air pressure.
Good luck
B RON CO. Still workin' on it!

1933 Ford Pickup - 59A Flathead V8
1966 Ford Bronco - U14 - 170/200 Straight 6
1966 Ford Mustang - 289 V8

88F15088

Post #3 by 88F15088 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:00 pm

Thank you for your input!

I believe the shocks are relatively new (a few years). They are Rough Country that was part of the 4" lift. Since the previous owner did the lift, I am not sure what all was done. It looks like front and rear shocks, and front springs. I don't think the leafs were replaced.

I think the best solution is to stop trying to break the tires loose all the time!

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #4 by bubba22349 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:01 pm

You can make some spring clamps out of 3/16 or 1/4 inch thick bar stock (1/2 to 5/8 inch wide) drill a 1/4 inch hole on each end to bolt a pair togeather. Install two or three of these clamps on the front part of the rear leaf springs. This will help control the spring wrap up on acceleration. Next is a set of simple traction bars like the old Traction Masters, these two mods will go a long way to getting some traction control along with the install of your limited slip unit. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.