Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Drag Link Removal

Moderator: Mod Squad

Reinking

Drag Link Removal

Post #1 by Reinking » Sun May 19, 2019 9:06 pm

Need to replace the oil pan on my 1963 Falcon and am having problems removing the drag link. What am I missing. Dot have my fork tool handy but the last one I did came out with a little tapping.

Thanks

StarDiero75

Re: Drag Link Removal

Post #2 by StarDiero75 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:24 pm

Reinking wrote:Need to replace the oil pan on my 1963 Falcon and am having problems removing the drag link. What am I missing. Dot have my fork tool handy but the last one I did came out with a little tapping.

Thanks

I had to smack mine pretty hard with the fork to get it out. Sometimes they just get stuck
--1965 Ranchero w/1966 200, dual friction diaphram 9" Modern Driveline clutch and billet flywheel all balanced, 1985 SVO WC T5 with front shift, 1966 2.8 Ford 8", Weber 32/26 with VI adapter, CRT Performance HEI.
--1961 Studebaker Lark VI, OHV 170 l6 in the process of being resurrected. But it lives
--Creator of the only Weber 32/36 conversion video.

Speedthrills

Post #3 by Speedthrills » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:29 pm

A fork will damage any grease seal present.
Loosen the nut (don't remove) and use a large hammer to strike the side of the part that the stud goes through.

rudyjoe

Post #4 by rudyjoe » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:00 am

I realize this is probably a late post on this but for what its worth to those who will read this reply it will help you. I had to remove mine recently and yup the drag link tie rod ends were not budging at all. So i pulled out my lil torch and hit it with heat around the outer area on the knuckle that the tie rod bolt is in, after i removed the nut. No heat on anything else so it could expand and Geez it just about fell off within a couple of minutes! The other side was almost as easy but i did actually give it a "light tap" with a heavy hammer and thats all it took. No fork needed! You just need to do one side i think to lower it enough to clear the pan (on mine anyway) but i needed to replace my tie rods.
So hope it helps anyone in the future.
Rudyjoe - L.A.,Ca