Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

LESS IS MORE

Moderator: Race Moderator

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

LESS IS MORE

Post #1 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:52 pm

My altered has a chassis tag dated 9-10-01. That's right, one day before the 9/11 attack. As I reflected on the fact that my front line racer is now nearly 19 years old I realized a lot has changed in that 19 years.

When I built the car I was racing quarter mile. Now almost all of the tracks have switched to racing the Super Pro cars to eighth mile. When I built the car track prep was marginal. Now at most tracks they prep the track surface so it is so sticky you can't walk across the track starting line without walking right out of your shoes.

So I considered how my car was built and needed to make some changes. It has 4.30:1 gears in it. This a typical gear set for a typical bracket racer that wants to keep the engine revs low to save on valve train parts. Optimal gearing for fastest e.t. would have been numerically higher but needing a more expensive valve train and other upgrades for a higher RPM band. Additionally, since I'm now doing the eighth mile the engine is running even less RPM going through the lights. This has led me to conclude that I need a smaller slick.

A smaller slick is lighter.
A smaller slick has less rotating mass / angular momentum.
A smaller slick is more aerodynamic.
A smaller slick gives a higher effective gear ratio.

I was using 12 x 31.5 x 15 slicks. A obtained a pair of 10.5 x 28 x 15 slicks to try. I guess I did not at first realize how many things would have to change to use these tires. For instance,

The 4-bar instant center pivot point
The ride height of the chassis
The driveshaft angle
The pinion angle
The anti-roll sway bar link
The wheel width and offset was different between the two sets I have
The wheelie bar height

So I have made the required changes to my chassis to run these tiny tires. I am waiting for a longer set of wheel studs to put the car back on the ground. I have had to go with longer coil-over shocks and new axle housing brackets. I'll post results as soon as we can get the car out. Stay tuned

FTF
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

drag-200stang

Re: LESS IS MORE

Post #2 by drag-200stang » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:23 am

Tube or no tube?
I also down sized, from 14- 32 to 13-31, changed from 14'' wide, super tricks to 12'' weld magnums, no tube this time... The newer style rims with the thin center and the more cone shaped haves were a lot lighter than the old super tricks...The thinner bolt area made it possible to shorten the 5/8'' drive studs 1'' , also makes it easier to get the wheels on -off the car because of the fenders...Lost 45 lbs.
66 Mustang Coupe
200 turbo w/lenco 4-spd
stock adj. rockers, stock timing set, ARP studs
best 1/4 mile ET 9.85/best mph 139 on 8 lbs progressing to 15 lbs boost
Went 9's when 10's was fast.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #3 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Wed May 06, 2020 9:07 am

I run tubeless all around.
WOW - you lost 45 pounds. That's terrific. I know tubes are deceptively heavy. I lost four pounds per tire/wheel for a total of 8 pounds. My smaller Weld wheels were wider at the hub so I had to remove my short titanium studs and replace them with longer steel studs. If this set up works I'll look for another set of lighter Bogart wheels so I can reinstall the titanium studs for a further weight reduction. That is just not in my budget for now.

My SWAG of how much e.t. I'll drop is about .2 in the quarter which should put me in the 8.80 range and about .15 in the eighth which should put me in the 5.5X range.

But like my granny told me just before she fell off the Harley, "Sonny, if I added up all the tenths I've been promised I'd be running in the 2s."

It looks like the track may open with its reunion nostalgia event which means I'll start out in my other altered - THE LAST LOGGHE - so that will further delay this trial.

Did you get a chance to try out your new tire combo? Please let me know how you do. Thanks. Good luck.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

drag-200stang

Post #4 by drag-200stang » Sat May 09, 2020 10:31 am

Thanks for the info.
Yea those Firestone tires where huge ,larger than the numbers and the natural rubber tubes to fill them were surprising heavy...Easiest weight loss I have done, 150 lbs, but adding 100 back in with more cage , safety equipment and and other upgrades.
Unfortunately I have not tried the new tires yet...I have made so many changes that it would be hard to know what the down size change would be... Hope to be out by the end of the season, one can try.
66 Mustang Coupe
200 turbo w/lenco 4-spd
stock adj. rockers, stock timing set, ARP studs
best 1/4 mile ET 9.85/best mph 139 on 8 lbs progressing to 15 lbs boost
Went 9's when 10's was fast.