Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

LESS IS MORE

Moderator: Race Moderator

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

LESS IS MORE

Post #1 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:52 pm

My altered has a chassis tag dated 9-10-01. That's right, one day before the 9/11 attack. As I reflected on the fact that my front line racer is now nearly 19 years old I realized a lot has changed in that 19 years.

When I built the car I was racing quarter mile. Now almost all of the tracks have switched to racing the Super Pro cars to eighth mile. When I built the car track prep was marginal. Now at most tracks they prep the track surface so it is so sticky you can't walk across the track starting line without walking right out of your shoes.

So I considered how my car was built and needed to make some changes. It has 4.30:1 gears in it. This a typical gear set for a typical bracket racer that wants to keep the engine revs low to save on valve train parts. Optimal gearing for fastest e.t. would have been numerically higher but needing a more expensive valve train and other upgrades for a higher RPM band. Additionally, since I'm now doing the eighth mile the engine is running even less RPM going through the lights. This has led me to conclude that I need a smaller slick.

A smaller slick is lighter.
A smaller slick has less rotating mass / angular momentum.
A smaller slick is more aerodynamic.
A smaller slick gives a higher effective gear ratio.
A smaller slick set further inboard now aligns my tires in the same track groove as all the rear engined dragsters I race.
A smaller slick set further inboard now puts the tires completely inside the wheel tubs, eliminating splattered water and rubber on my helmet visor during burnouts.

I was using 12 x 31.5 x 15 slicks. I obtained a pair of 10.5 x 28 x 15 slicks to try. I guess I did not at first realize how many things would have to change to use these tires. For instance,

The 4-bar instant center pivot point
The ride height of the chassis
The driveshaft angle
The pinion angle
The anti-roll sway bar link
The wheel width and offset was different between the two sets I have
The wheelie bar height

So I have made the required changes to my chassis to run these tiny tires. I am waiting for a longer set of wheel studs to put the car back on the ground. I have had to go with longer coil-over shocks and new axle housing brackets. I'll post results as soon as we can get the car out. Stay tuned

FTF
Last edited by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER on Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

drag-200stang

Re: LESS IS MORE

Post #2 by drag-200stang » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:23 am

Tube or no tube?
I also down sized, from 14- 32 to 13-31, changed from 14'' wide, super tricks to 12'' weld magnums, no tube this time... The newer style rims with the thin center and the more cone shaped haves were a lot lighter than the old super tricks...The thinner bolt area made it possible to shorten the 5/8'' drive studs 1'' , also makes it easier to get the wheels on -off the car because of the fenders...Lost 45 lbs.
66 Mustang Coupe
200 turbo w/lenco 4-spd
stock adj. rockers, stock timing set, ARP studs
best 1/4 mile ET 9.85/best mph 139 on 8 lbs progressing to 15 lbs boost
Went 9's when 10's was fast.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #3 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Wed May 06, 2020 9:07 am

I run tubeless all around.
WOW - you lost 45 pounds. That's terrific. I know tubes are deceptively heavy. I lost four pounds per tire/wheel for a total of 8 pounds. My smaller Weld wheels were wider at the hub so I had to remove my short titanium studs and replace them with longer steel studs. If this set up works I'll look for another set of lighter Bogart wheels so I can reinstall the titanium studs for a further weight reduction. That is just not in my budget for now.

My SWAG of how much e.t. I'll drop is about .2 in the quarter which should put me in the 8.80 range and about .15 in the eighth which should put me in the 5.5X range.

But like my granny told me just before she fell off the Harley, "Sonny, if I added up all the tenths I've been promised I'd be running in the 2s."

It looks like the track may open with its reunion nostalgia event which means I'll start out in my other altered - THE LAST LOGGHE - so that will further delay this trial.

Did you get a chance to try out your new tire combo? Please let me know how you do. Thanks. Good luck.

drag-200stang

Post #4 by drag-200stang » Sat May 09, 2020 10:31 am

Thanks for the info.
Yea those Firestone tires where huge ,larger than the numbers and the natural rubber tubes to fill them were surprising heavy...Easiest weight loss I have done, 150 lbs, but adding 100 back in with more cage , safety equipment and and other upgrades.
Unfortunately I have not tried the new tires yet...I have made so many changes that it would be hard to know what the down size change would be... Hope to be out by the end of the season, one can try.
66 Mustang Coupe
200 turbo w/lenco 4-spd
stock adj. rockers, stock timing set, ARP studs
best 1/4 mile ET 9.85/best mph 139 on 8 lbs progressing to 15 lbs boost
Went 9's when 10's was fast.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #5 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:04 pm

UPDATE: My local track is open but high winds and the threat of thunderstorms kept me from making any runs yesterday. This Saturday and Sunday I'll try again.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #6 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:24 pm

I finally got a chance to test the car today.

First Run: It launched hard, carried the front wheels and got a little unglued about 300 ft out. E.T was about .08 better in the eighth than what it was running last fall.

Second Run: Good hard leave. Sixty foot was .04 better; e.t. was .11 better.

Third Run: The clown in front of me oiled the track and on my burnout I could feel the track wasn't going to come around. The 60s fell off about .03 from the previous run and the e.t. was only .06 better than last fall.

All-in-all a promising result.
Points race tomorrow. Gotta get serious now.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #7 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:18 pm

SUNDAY JUNE 14 - FIRST COMPETITION THIS YEAR

First TT:
60 ft -1.197(all time best of 1.189)
1/8 e.t. - 5.697(all time best of 5.6078)
1/8 mph - 117.62 (all time best 120.10)

Second TT:
60 ft - 1.196
1/8 e.t. - 5.709
1/8 mph - 117.10

First Rd:
dial in 5.69
60 ft - 1.194
1/8 e.t. - 5.700
1/8 mph - 118.19 into a 13 mph headwind

Second Rd:
dial in 5.69
60 ft - 1.189 (tie - new all time best)
1/8 e.t. - 5.674
1/8 mph 115.33 on the brakes
broke out
If I had stayed in it it would have run a 5.639. All-in-all a pretty good start to the year.

67Straightsix

Post #8 by 67Straightsix » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:50 pm

:thumbup: It's nice to hear some one actually racing again.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #9 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:55 am

If I translate that 5.639 into a quarter mile time it would be about a 8.81 quarter mile time. But that is assuming I would have had enough RPM capability to carry me through the entire quarter. I shift off a timer. With the big tall old tires my 1-2 shift was timed at 2.6 seconds into the run, at around 6800. Over the weekend I gradually reduced the shift time down to 2.1 seconds. At 2.4 seconds the revs were around 7500 which is beyond my comfort zone for a mere bracket race 300. I suspect I'd be doing well over 7000 going through the quarter mile traps. I'm content to stay around 6800 so the valve train lives indefinitely.
But it is comforting to know it will rev to 7K+ without floating the valves.
I'm running a roller cam with 185# of seat pressure with lift at the valve around .660/.680.

I discovered a couple of additional advantages to the smaller slick set further inboard. I'll add to my original post.
A smaller slick set further inboard now aligns my tires in the same track groove as all the rear engined dragsters I race.
A smaller slick set further inboard now puts the tires completely inside the wheel tubs, eliminating splattered water and rubber on my helmet visor during burnouts.

On an entirely unrelated note I put the engine in my nostalgic Logghe altered together and fired it up in my spare time. There is a Nostalgia Comp race coming up in July for that beast so we're good-to-go. I have to get the engine in The Frenchtown Family Truckster RPU out of winter storage mode for the same race. My neighbor drives that one.
Stay safe. Race safe.
FTF

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #10 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:58 am

Here's Sunday's first run.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&i ... &disp=safe

I notice a few things, like the throttles snapping open on the first light, the wheelie bar spanking the pavement and me subconsciously tilting my head forward before the hit, anticipating the G- shock loading. (I had a sore neck that night.)

autonoob

Post #11 by autonoob » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:31 pm

There's an error 404 on the link that you've shared. :oopsie:

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #12 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:57 am

Thanks - Ill see if I can fix that.

65 F-100 pete

Post #13 by 65 F-100 pete » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:01 am

Hi Ftf, You have been real busy on your drag cars. There is so much to them. Not at all simple.
I have put aluminum crossmembers on the chassis of my F-100. I sanded off the rust, then painted where the alum. was going to be bolted to the frame. My truck is at a shop that is rewiring the back end.
Next is fastening the 1/4" plate down to the crossmembers for the Miller weld. mach. Then behind that I'll fasten down the 3/8" carbon 6'x6' fab table.
I hope your racing this weekend is satisfying.
Better stop fur now, Pete in NC

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #14 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:29 am

Pete your truck sounds like a fun, practical, useful machine. Good luck.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #15 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:42 pm

ONE ADDITIONAL UPDATE:
I went racing today. This past week I made some fine tuning adjustments to the rear of the chassis - 4-link and shock setting.

That was it!
I went six rounds all the way to the finals where I red lighted.
The car is on rails now. woohoo