Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

Post Tips for Beginer Racers Here

Moderator: Race Moderator

Abandoned67

Post Tips for Beginer Racers Here

Post #1 by Abandoned67 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:46 am

I thought since this NASA "Open Track/HPDE" racing seems to be getting more and more popular that a guide to beginner racers should be started.

Even though I have never gone before Ill start with some things that I have heard/read on websites and such. (I plan on doing this at Lime Park in CT and Watkins Glen International in NY next summer)

#1) Make sure oil and transmition fluids are good.

#2) Make sure the brakes are working good.

#3) Make sure your tires are in very good condition and filled properly if not more than you would usualy have them filled for regular road driving.
~Frank 1967 Mustang Coupe: 200c.i.d. coupled with a C4 trans.
"The 200 has durability. You need a large nuclear warhead to kill one, and even then............"
http://www.freewebs.com/classicsixshooters/

AZstang66

Post #2 by AZstang66 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:56 pm

From the NASA Website:

WHEELS & TIRES
_______condition of tire
_______all lug nuts present & tight
_______no hubcaps or beauty rings
STEERING & SUSPENSION
_______wheel bearings-front
_______wheel bearings-rear
_______steering play
ENGINE
_______fluid leaks (oil, fuel, water)
_______radiator overflow
_______radiator hoses (condition)
_______battery secured (no bungees)
BRAKES
_______pedal pressure
_______fluid level
_______lines (condition)
_______brake lights
SAFETY EQUIPMENT
_______roll bars in open cars
_______seat belts or harness
_______helmet (DOT or Snell)
_______covered battery inside cockpit
MISCELLANEOUS
_______Gas cap secured
_______No wires exposed
_______Seats bolted tight
_______terminals covered
HAVE READY AT TRACK:
-Affix numbers on both sides of car at least 10 inches tall of a contrasting color.
-No loose objects in car or trunk. Remove spare tire, jack, floor mats, dash mats, paper, etc.
-A tech/group sticker placed on top center of windshield.
-A Nomex suit is highly recommended.

Bort62

Post #3 by Bort62 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:00 pm

Brake in, throttle out? :)

Seriously - remember that going fast is about being smooth and consistent. jerking the car around and slamming on the brakes/gas feels fast, but you will wonder why you are getting passed by the spec miatas.

Find an instructor (availiable upon request at any NASA event) and have them ride with you, showing you the line and giving you tips. Be patient, speed comes with practice more than anything else.

And most of all, get out there! The easiest nut to tighten is the one between the seat and steering wheel. A couple of track sessions a year will increase your enjoyment of your car immensely, much more than the equivalent $ value in mods.

Also, if you have more time than money - Volunteer with your local NASA chapter. Volunteers are rewarded heavily with free track time. If anyone is located in northern California, contact me and I will put you in touch with the tow crew. They always needs guys to sit on the truck and pull people out of the wall.