New windshield and seal for bent-nose Econolines?

Moderator: Mod Squad

old smitty

New windshield and seal for bent-nose Econolines?

Post #1 by old smitty » Tue May 16, 2017 3:00 pm

Hello, fellas. I used to post as Seattle Smitty, but have since forgot the password and couldn't get re-established without a name change. Anyway, the windshield in my '88 E150 is full of cracks. Before I start looking around, maybe somebody here has tips on best place to order windshield and seal. I had one from a wrecking yard, but something fell on it. Are new windshields being made for these vans (since there are still a lot of them on the road)?? I would assume that new glass is less brittle than old glass.

I guess I can install it myself. Probably U-tube has a video.

Thanks

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Re: New windshield and seal for bent-nose Econolines?

Post #2 by rbohm » Tue May 16, 2017 5:48 pm

i would probably go with someone like safelite and have them install the windshield. i got a quote on my old taurus wagon once and it was a very reasonable $240 out the door. besides if they screw up the install and break the windshield you dont have to pay for it,, they do.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #3 by bubba22349 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:52 pm

Hi Smitty, glad to see you back! You are correct that new glass is not as brittle as old glass. I used to do the windshields in the older cars but haven't done any of the newer ones that are glued in like I think your 1988 van is. Below are a couple of videos that show how it's done with these late model cars and trucks so you can get idea if you want to try and do it yourself. First one is quite involved second is a Ford pickup but is a bit brief. The pro's can do these jobs really quick with all their special tools and equipment. Good luck :

Mercedes job this shows the windshield replacement in great detail.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nDmTrwqReMM

Ford pickup replacement this a bit short but it dose show ways that a do it yourselfer could do it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nuI75VFkdLg
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

old jupiter

Post #4 by old jupiter » Thu May 18, 2017 11:53 am

Thanks, gents. Good to see a couple of remembered names, too.

old jupiter

Post #5 by old jupiter » Thu May 18, 2017 11:53 am

Thanks, gents. Good to see a couple of remembered names, too.

Oops, now I see the site is automatically logging me in, but as "Old Jupiter," which was a handle I used for a little bit when (this happens to me frequently on sites I've not visited for a while) I forgot the password and couldn't get the program to reestablished me under "seattle smitty." (Bohm, I see you are now an admin. IF it's not a big hassle, can you reset things to get my handle back to "seattle smitty"??)

There is no pleasing a computer. My feeling, after last week's major hacks and ransom demands of hospitals around the world is that we should re-think the notion that having computer-controlled delivery drones flying over our houses and computer-controlled trucks and cars sharing our freeways is in any way desirable . . . but nobody's asking my advice, so I'll stick with keeping the old van going.

Another project coming up is installing and reaming a new set of kingpin bushings. I have the adjustable reamers, and assume that a moderate hand-push-fit is what's called for.

(EDIT) Looking around, I find a recommendation of .0015" clearance, easiest done with a con-rod hone.

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Post #6 by rbohm » Thu May 18, 2017 5:00 pm

smitty, your old user name seattle smitty no longer exists, sorry.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention