69 Econoline Lowering/Drum/Disc Conversion

Moderator: Mod Squad

69E100

69 Econoline Lowering/Drum/Disc Conversion

Post #1 by 69E100 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:29 pm

I posted this in the Brakes Section of the forum (didn't scroll down the entire list) Rookie mistake!

Hello,
I am new to this forum and would like some help. I have read many previous threads and found them really great and loaded with information. Here is the dilemma.....
I bought an early 69' Econoline shorty window van without knowing much about the econolines at all. It is a 240 six with a three on the tree. I have since learned a few things. What I would like to do is lower it and convert to front discs. I just finished a project on a 67' Merc Pick-up using DJM drop beams and a 73-75 Ford F100 discs (a lot of work but looks great). The Econoline appears to be a similar set-up but as I am doing my research, it is different animal in many ways! This appears to be a custom job in many ways. I thought that I would put this topic out there because I cannot find any information on lowering or drum/disc conversion for the second gen econolines.
Problem 1:
The E100 has a car bolt pattern 5x4.5 (which I am ok keeping). Apparently the king-pins on the E100 are .859" DIAMETER and 5 29/64" LENGTH. This is a problem as the F100 drop beams are 6.35 x .85 and they don't make drop beams for the Econolines.
DJM States: These King Pin beams drop the front of your F-100 3″. They fit all F-100′s from 1965 to 1979 doesn't matter if you have drum or disc brakes. If you have drum brakes and you want to upgrade to discs (very popular) all you have to do is use the disc brake spindle and king pins with these beams and away you go.
Has anyone lowered a second generation Econoline with any success?
Problem 2:
Depending on the lowering issue and my ability to retain the original spindles..... has anyone tried to use the set-up by D&D with the factory e100 spindles. Has anyone tried this on a twin-ibeam? will it work? I have also looked closely at the set-up used by Roger mingle but cannot find the template he used for the bracket he built (http://www.carnut.com/tech/econo/econo1.html).

I am looking wondering if there are any others options out there beyond (what I believe to be the option of using the DJM f100 drop beams and a 73-75 f100 disc brake set-up) although I could be totally wrong about that possibility too! I would like to get some help before purchasing any of these parts......
Thanks,
Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shorty

Re: 69 Econoline Lowering/Drum/Disc Conversion

Post #2 by Shorty » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:32 pm

cool van! I have a 69 E200, it has the same bolt pattern as my 80's f150s. I was considering a disc brake conversion but I plan to go up rather than down and would like to use a dana 44 front axle from 1989 f 150 parts truck to make it four wheel drive at the same time. The van was a camper conversion but the previous owner gutted the inside.

I hope you can find the answers you need and keep posting pictures of your progress.
85 F150 on 78 bronco frame C6 np205 welded dana44 front, trussed posi nine inch rear. EFI exhaust manifolds into one 2 1/2" rolls on 35x12.5x15 Maxxis Trepador.