Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Lowering a 1984 E150

Moderator: Mod Squad

TBV_84

Lowering a 1984 E150

Post #1 by TBV_84 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:55 pm

I’ve found mostly speculation in my searches here and elsewhere, has anyone actually accomplished this?
I’m not interested in slamming the thing but a couple inches and a firm ride with less body roll would be great. 8)
84 E150
77 CB550
84 XR650
87 KLR650
2015 KLR650
73 VW 412, 89 Trooper (RIP)

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Lowering a 1984 E150

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:12 pm

TBV_84 wrote:I’ve found mostly speculation in my searches here and elsewhere, has anyone actually accomplished this?
I’m not interested in slamming the thing but a couple inches and a firm ride with less body roll would be great. 8)

I don't know if it's been done on the later model Econoline ie with Twin I Beam axels. It for sure has been done on the early Econoline's with the single front I Beam axle. What needs to be done is the axles dropped there are a few companies that still can do this though I don't think they advertise doing the twin I beams you might give some of them a call to see if they would take on the job. One company makes new dropped axles for the F series trucks I was planning on this mod for my 94 F150. You could contact them too and see if they would make them for you DJM " Dream Beams" see the below link.

Also the front springs could be cut one coil (stiffens up the ride some also) or a set of new customs front springs or some coil overs or air bags that could be made to lower it about an inch or so witout causeing to many problems for the alinement. Another way is to install a custom front suspension like a copy of the Mustang II this would open it up to use rdeadly available dropped Spindels too.

The rear axle is fairly easy and I have done the mod on a number of builds, it can be done with re-arched springs by reversing the spring eyes or with a mid eye, raising the spring mounts or a combo of these two, or you can re mount the rear axle on top of the rear springs like cars do it. One other nice way for better handling would be to install a four bar kit with coil overs. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:

Dream Beams
https://djmsuspension.com/dream-beams-6/
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #3 by bubba22349 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:48 pm

On the ride and handling part of your question, a good set of wheels and tires, plus the right shocks, plus bigger sway bars, watts link or panard bar will do that job. :thumbup: :nod:

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

TBV_84

Post #4 by TBV_84 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:51 pm

Thanks bubba, that’s exactly what I was looking for. I’m kind of amazed that this mod is uncommon, considering the popularity of these vans and, you know, “vannin’”
Chopping springs is shameful where I come from but I’m not opposed if it gets me the look I want without damaging alignment too much; but honestly even if it does... :twisted:
I suppose I’d consider airbags but I’m not looking for a tarmac-scraping lowrider, and they’re expensive, right? I’m willing to sacrifice ride quality for looks in this case (unusual for me).
I’ll eventually get new wheels and rubber but for now I’ll keep the A-Team rims...
84 E150
77 CB550
84 XR650
87 KLR650
2015 KLR650
73 VW 412, 89 Trooper (RIP)

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #5 by bubba22349 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:08 pm

TBV_84 wrote:Thanks bubba, that’s exactly what I was looking for. I’m kind of amazed that this mod is uncommon, considering the popularity of these vans and, you know, “vannin’”
Chopping springs is shameful where I come from but I’m not opposed if it gets me the look I want without damaging alignment too much; but honestly even if it does... :twisted:
I suppose I’d consider airbags but I’m not looking for a tarmac-scraping lowrider, and they’re expensive, right? I’m willing to sacrifice ride quality for looks in this case (unusual for me).
I’ll eventually get new wheels and rubber but for now I’ll keep the A-Team rims...

On air bags that's the beauty of them is you can set the ride height were you want it at or even use a couple different positions and the ride is very good. Yes they are often used on the low riders that want to lay the frame right on the ground but it doesn't have to be that way. Many expensive cars like Lincoln's and Cads, Citrons, high end sports cars, ect. Have used them for many years just to keep the car leveled with changes to the loaded weight besides keep the ride quality excellent. Prices have come down considerably so that it's not that bad. Might be better to set a budget to work from and also how much of the work are you going to do on it first then that will eliminate some of the options that are too expensive.

One other way of lowering the front end yet keeping the stock front suspension that I didn't include above is the old hot Rodder's technic's of doing a raised front suspension clip. The frame would get cut near the firewall an would be Z'ed the amount you want the drop to be. The same TECnique is also used at the rear suspension but it would change the vans floor heigh, plus It's going to be a lot of welding work too.

Yours is a nice looking Van. If your good at drawing you could do some scale drawings changing the ride height or you could take some side pictures then do some slices with an Exact O Knife to lower it until you get it were you like it, or maybe get a simple drawing / cad program that allows you to change it too. I think around two to four inches lower would look great yet ride should still be decent. Of course the hardest part to accomplish this would be in doing the front suspension the rear would be much easier. Good luck :thumbup: :nod: