Blazing action......

Moderator: Mod Squad

mutt
VIP Member

Blazing action......

Post #1 by mutt » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:35 pm

no message. Just wanted to see some action at the Ekono Korner.
POTUS runs great. But the old boy stays moored as there are cheaper ways to get around. Damn this pricey gas. Or rather, damn the nosedive of the dollar.....
Mutt, 80 300, stick w/ OD, 3.08, port matching, bowl work, Offy C,
Autolite (big) 2100, Chev rockers, 4 degree retard on cam, head milled .030 smooooooth as silk, tugs like a..tugboat.

66 E100 Pickup

Post #2 by 66 E100 Pickup » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:21 am

I hear you Mutt, I am not sure how regular I will be driving my '66 once it's built.

I suspect I will be afraid of rust and water and thus limit my driving to 6 months of the year.

But my general plan too is to pass my DD on to my 14 year old in a couple years. It's got everything a youngster needs (good brakes, small engine, air bags :lol: )

Brick or not, I am hoping I can get 18 mpg out of my 240 eco pickup, as it will weigh in at about 3200 lbs.

On the pickups, there is a 200 lb heavy steel weight mounted between the gas tank and bed. Supposed to be there for balancing axle weights. I am thinking about pulling it, as my 240 unit has the heavy 9" rear end and drums and should weight in at about 200 lbs more than the light duty carriage on the 170 engine.

John

res0rli9

Post #3 by res0rli9 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:19 pm

all the 67 down vans and pickups have that weight in the rear and the one I just took off my 61 pickup was just under 300lbs. ive had 6 of the 67 down vans and 3 pickup throw the years, yea im old, lol oh my 61 was 2415 with 200 three speed, 460BBF now narow 9"ladderbars coleovers 171/2" M/Ts weld wheels, 2625lbs. now with big block

Seattle Smitty

Post #4 by Seattle Smitty » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:53 pm

John, you are aware that there are places to get replacement body panels for the early Eco-lines, right? And body gaskets. One item to fix right off is the stupid wrong-way seams halfway up the windshield framing the seams that look like they were specifically intended to direct water into the body. I filled those seams with silicone seal, but you could use Bondo or lead.

No reason you can't get 18mpg. I frequently got 19 with my factory-stock '66 Supervan Heavy Duty, 240, 3-speed, 3.00:1. If you rebuilt that 240 for more efficiency (and the 240 is fully adequate for those cars, no need for a 300), and swapped in an overdrive 4-speed, you could get amazing fuel economy for a gas-engined pickup!!

66 E100 Pickup

Post #5 by 66 E100 Pickup » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:54 pm

No reason you can't get 18mpg. I frequently got 19 with my factory-stock '66 Supervan Heavy Duty, 240, 3-speed, 3.00:1. If you rebuilt that 240 for more efficiency (and the 240 is fully adequate for those cars, no need for a 300), and swapped in an overdrive 4-speed, you could get amazing fuel economy for a gas-engined pickup!!

I think so. I have seen the early 61-63 Ford ads where they are touting 30 mpg in a pickup. Yea right, with that 144 engine I have no doubt that they can cruise all day long at 30 mph on a 10 gallon tank!.

Where do you suggest for body panels? I need the lower left (driver's side) quarter with the turn signal in it. I can't find it at Mac's, Dennis Carpenter, B&W, or any of the standard places. JC Whitney sells generic panels. This one however is a ribbed affair and would be quite hard to bang back into shape.

There was one on e-bay couple months ago, I stopped bidding when there were 5 others going after it at over $60. I think it went for over a $100.

There are two old econoline pickups parked in farm yards within a half mile of here. I could probably pick up the one for next to nothing. I need a donor car, but that would make 3 of these sitting around. :oops: Maybe a donor car, parked half mile away? hmmm....

John

Seattle Smitty

Post #6 by Seattle Smitty » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:21 pm

Dang, now I have to hunt. I haven't had the '66 for a few years, and the relevant info has worked its was down in the pile. And I dont really know that they have THAT panel, but you and a welder or sheetmetal man could make one or fix yours, surely.

66 E100 Pickup

Post #7 by 66 E100 Pickup » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:29 pm

yea well if it's going to be under $100, it will end up being a bondo affair and about 3-4 hours of cleaning. The ridges on that panel are not going to make it easy to duplicate. I am still keeping an eye on e-bay, it's amazing what pops up every now and then.

Guy sold a new '67 econoline dual master cylinder for close to $300 couple days ago. It's an entire marketing strategy to find out the hot item on e-bay and sell it at the right time. Another guy just listed one today.

Used to be we were all happy campers with our old single master cylinder and drums. Now we need dual master cylinders and disc brakes, or we aren't happy :D

John

Seattle Smitty

Post #8 by Seattle Smitty » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:31 pm

My '66 must have been the last year with a single system. If you have the Heavy Duty running gear, you have big drum brakes which work fine (I don't know about the regular brakes). When you install new shoes, get the manufacturer's advice on how to get them bedded-in and heat-cured, however; new, uncured brakes on my '66 gave me an almighty thrill on a steep hill once!!!!!

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Post #9 by woodbutcher » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:47 pm

:D Hi Smitty.Did you need a shovel when you got to the bottom?BTDT,know the sinking feeling in the pit of stomach.Yechhhhhhhhhh.
Leo
"People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election".
Otto von Bismarck