Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

:idea: 4 speed O/D early econoline

Moderator: Mod Squad

66 E100 Pickup

:idea: 4 speed O/D early econoline

Post #1 by 66 E100 Pickup » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:32 pm

I have this strange idea in mind that I would really like a 4 speed w/OD in my '66 econoline pickup.

The thought I have is to find a donor 4 speed column shift from a '64 Dagenham econoline, and mate that up with a T170 toploader w/OD from a late 70's van or pickup. The toploader should be a direct bolt up to the 3.03 bell. I am hoping that the econoline tail shaft assembly can be swapped directly with the toploader tail piece so that the original driveshaft and speedo cable can be preserved.

Anyone monkeyed around with this idea before?

Anyone know of a '64 column shift Dagenham laying around?

John

Seattle Smitty

Post #2 by Seattle Smitty » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:35 pm

Read about and heard of the Dagenham; never saw one. They had a poor reputation, I believe, for being light-duty and balky-shifting.

When I had my '66 Supervan, I mused about adapting a floor shifter from Hurst or somebody, and fabricating my own shift-rods, mounting brackets, et al. I think it's a good project, esp. if you change out the manual 3-speed for an overdrive 4-speed. The 3-speed is plenty tough enough for that machine. The OD 4speed is tough enough in the direct-drive (3rd) gear, but I wouldn't want to load down the truck and pull a trailer AND then lug the engine down in 4th/OD while climbing hills. Shift back to 3rd rather than lug it in OD, and that trans will work (assuming you go thru it and freshen it up before installing).

mutt
VIP Member

Post #3 by mutt » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:36 pm

rather than a column shift, where every bend induces slop & error, my 3sp w/ od vintage 80 has a side shift mechanism......why not adopt that?
you can mount in fwd of the doghouse, on the drivers side??? or thru the doghouse lid/ Im thinkin I want a pre 72 to drop me driveline in to get around nitwit emmissions tests........and thats a problem ive noggined over.....

66 E100 Pickup

Post #4 by 66 E100 Pickup » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:31 am

Mutt, the geometry isn't so hot for a floor shift arrangment. The doghouse extends a couple inches front of the seat, and the shifter would need to be 6-8 inches ahead of that. And, the floor is some 18" below seat level. So to keep a guy from bending down and way forward to shift, the shift lever would have to be about 2' long or more. It's been tried I hear, nothing satisfactory so far. The linkage levers, in front of the doghouse, would end up about the same lengh as the column shift levers.

John

mutt
VIP Member

Post #5 by mutt » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:02 pm

What about a floor shift lever mounted behind the seat- say .....shoot, the clutch bar. hmmmmm. behind the seat behind the dog house. a long dogleg, damn.......the DS seat mounts on the side of the doghouse, dont it. i had a doghouse econo but it was 20 plus yrs ago, & the details be fuzzy.
Once my mind was as clear as the vodka I swill......
but if you move away from a top loader, you have a portable shifting nexus. Every van column shifter I ever dealt with was a can of worms......

ROAD WARRIOR

Re: :idea: 4 speed O/D early econoline

Post #6 by ROAD WARRIOR » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:11 am

My 83 L300 econo has a factory 4spd/OD, floor shifter. I am the original owner and ordered this option when I bought the van new.

I am not sure how popular this option was since I have never seen it in another econo. Works great and has never locked up. The only negative is that the throw distance between gears is pretty long and removing the dog house is a real *****. The shifter is about 6" behind the shroud so it can't be pulled straight back. I have to remove the passenger seat to get the doghouse off and clear the shift.

I have no clue if this was ever offered on the column. If it was, it would likely be problematic.
Mad Max ia alive and well.

mutt
VIP Member

Post #7 by mutt » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:38 pm

I put a 57 GMC 6 w/ a OD tranny in a 66 Chev van. I used the column shifter, just fabbed up longer shift rods, IIRC. (The OD was a 50's model- electric solenoid to go into OD.
My 80 econocrate has the floor shifter OD - only one Ive ever seen, too. But I can get the doghouse off w/o removing the seat....

66 E100 Pickup

Post #8 by 66 E100 Pickup » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:32 am

Road warrior, I've seen a fair amount of the 3rd gen OD's at the yards. They were installed in the E-150's only, behind the big six, until 1988. I've run into about 5-6 of these in the last two years.

The E version has 0.71 final drive, and a bigger main bearing up front. The Granada version has a 0.8 OD, but will go onto the early 240/300 bell without a fitment problem.

Ford came out with a very nice looking corrugated alum bell (which you have on yours) that takes the larger front bearing on the OD tranny w/out problems.

As for the 4 speed column shift, 63-4 only with the Dagenham tranny. Very rare unit. The shift tube, shift arm, shift pin, and 3 lower shift rods are all unique to this shifter.

John/Fresno

early ford fan

Post #9 by early ford fan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:37 am

i have one of these trans that i was told came from a pickup.anyone know where i could look it up to find out the ratios?by the numbers maybe?btw it has larger input and output shaft bearings than my 3.03 or the four speed toploader gasket set i bought.i tryed to put the tail shaft from a 67 240 econoline on it but the bearing size was too big.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #10 by bubba22349 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:02 pm

i have one of these trans that i was told came from a pickup.anyone know where i could look it up to find out the ratios?by the numbers maybe

You could try here :hmmm:
http://www.mackstrans.com/BorgWarnerID.html
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.