Moderator: Mod Squad

Sentry

Heater Down

Post #1 by Sentry » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:41 pm

Heater Down I checked the fuse but it was fine, any suggestions

80broncoman
Global Moderator

Post #2 by 80broncoman » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:38 am

Fuse only works on the hot wire. Make for sure the fan motor is grounded.
(IIRC it mounts in a fibreglass housing)
OAPSE Union Member

Real men don't wear Bowties
When it come to engines If its .001 loose nobody knows, But if its .001 too tight EVERYBODY KNOWS!!
80 bronco FUV (farm utility vehicle)300 T-18 3.50s EFI head, offy C dual plenum, 500 edel carb, 1.7 roller rockers, Crane 260 cam EFI Exh

Sentry

Post #3 by Sentry » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:32 pm

How would I know if it's not the switch, I know next to nothing about electrical componets.

mutt
VIP Member

Post #4 by mutt » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:02 pm

hmmmm....the "next to nothing" adds a demension of diffuculty......do you have a test light? Youwill need one to troubleshoot. They are cheap at the parts store.....

Sentry

Post #5 by Sentry » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:57 am

I think I got one in my tool box, and let me clarify that I understand basic concepts of electricity, and circuits, but that is about all.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #6 by ludwig » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:46 am

See if you can narrow the problem.

Is the heater core getting hot but no hot air comes out? Then you have a fan problem.

Does the fan blow air but there is no hot air? If so, the coolant line is blocked somehow and the heater core is not getting hot water.

Does the fan blow and the heater core get hot but no air comes out? If so, you have a damper door problem. In this case, the door doesn't move because a cable is broken or the hook has come out of the hole in the damper.

They are suggesting that you determine if there is current to the blower motor. If there is, the motor may be at fault. If there is no current you have an open circuit somewhere. Grounding may be suspect if there is rust between the mounting surfaces. If the cables to move the dampers are frozen or broken these need to be replaced.

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.

Sentry

Post #7 by Sentry » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:33 pm

The Heater core is new. The blower does not operate at all.

mutt
VIP Member

Post #8 by mutt » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:44 pm

using the test light, does juice gwet to thwe blower motor?
Have you located thew little resistor coils that make the fan low/med/high speed? Location varies year to year, finds them. See if, when you have the switch on, you test light lights up? See? you follow the juice.....I guess step A would be to see that indeed the blower fuse is passing juice. Then go to where thwe power reaches the switch....does the test light show juice (Ig on, I Imagine) if the light shows you got juice at thew switch, you just keep checkin downstream, til you find no juice. Thats the AHA! moment.....make sure the motor case is grounded.....

james singleton

Post #9 by james singleton » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:22 pm

Sentry, I recently removed my heater core (on my 63' Econo) which has the the floor mounted heater. My heater had worked fine in the past, but my van had been sitting for quite a while and just recently was not putting out heat! The fan motor worked, but only when the switch was in the high speed position. It turned out that the "WARMER" control/switch valve on the heating core needed a little bit of exercise (while I had everything apart). I oiled/greased the switch/valve up a bit, exercised the switch/valve and it works fine now. As far as the problem with your electric motor not working, I believe Mutt covered the checking of the eletrical wiring to make sure you have "juice" going to the blower fan. There is a ground wire on my heater motor that goes from the motor and bolts to the cover of the heating box; without this ground wire the motor shouldn't work. Make sure you have this ground wire connected. If you look at the "On/Off" switch (on the backside) you will probably see two coiled wires that provide the high & low speeds. One of my two coiled wires (low speed wire) was broke in half and that is why I did not have the low speed! Good Luck!

Sentry

Post #10 by Sentry » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:52 am

Anybody got a wiring diagram

james singleton

Post #11 by james singleton » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:16 pm

Sentry, There are a couple of "old" Econoline websites that I am familiar with, the "Econosrus" and the "Oldeconolines" that have a wealth of information. On the Econosrus website in their "FILES" section they have 3 different wiring diagrams for the oldeconolines (61'-67'). You need to join the Econosrus website in order to open up the File section. The 2nd wiring schematic in the Files section contains the heater wiring drawings. I just looked at it a moment ago and the wire running to the heater should be a "brown" wire that runs directly to your fuse block; and I believe (with out looking at my own 63' Econo fuseblock) that it may say "Heater" on the fuseblock. It should be a 14amp fuse according to the wiring schematic. P.S. If you go on the Econosrus website and find the wiring drawing you are looking for, it will be almost too small to read; you need to enlarge the text size in order to read it clearly. Good Luck! Jim

Sentry

Post #12 by Sentry » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:42 pm

Mine is an 87, but I look it up

Sentry

Post #13 by Sentry » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:31 am

I found the problem. It was a fuse that apeared to be good, but Iplugged it in the wrong slot (wipers) and the wipers did not work. Thank you all for your help and have a Happy Thanks Giving

Sentry

Post #14 by Sentry » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:53 am

:x Does any one know where to get a 35A fuse I got a 30A in and the blower is barely blowing

addo
VIP Member

Post #15 by addo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:21 pm

The fuse won't affect how well the motor works. If the fuse is inadequate, it will pop. That's what it's for.

Now - if the motor is running slow, there can be a few problems. First is bad connections - either positive or ground. Can you "hotwire" it and get full speed? If so, then your fault lies in the wiring or variable speed switch.

If hotwiring the fan still has it run slow, then the electric motor has issues. Brushes could be worn out, or the commutator shorting, or grease dried up inside the bearings, or rust causing excess friction. You'd need to pull the cover off and see. Be careful doing this, as there are usually shim washers and brushes and stuff that pop out everywhere. It needs a clean bench, commonsense and patience.

mutt
VIP Member

Post #16 by mutt » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:01 pm

and replacement motors run $14.

james singleton

Post #17 by james singleton » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:02 pm

Sentry, what is the latest on your heater problem? Did you ever find out what the problem was?? Just curious. Hope you are not freezing; good luck! Jim

guzzidude

Post #18 by guzzidude » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:13 am

Sentry, go to yahoo group "oldeconolines" and join.. they have tons of wiring diagrams and help. Pretty good dudes!