New owner

Moderator: Mod Squad

Sy Hollinshead

New owner

Post #1 by Sy Hollinshead » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:40 am

Hi
Just thought i would say hello, i have just imported this 1964 Econoline Travelwagon into the UK. I bought it off Ebay and it was located in California....

This is a picture of the van being unloaded of the trailer outside my house. This is the first time i have seen the vehicle....

And a couple more

These vans are extremely rare over here, most of the American Car Club members have never seen one before, so i can't wait to get the thing on the road and to a few shows...

So my first question is this....

The fuel sender unit is knackered, i am getting a reading of 39,000 ohms between the sender and ground. Does anybody know if these things are repairable, or if a replacement can be bought from anywhere....? I haven't taken it out of the fuel tank yet, but will do at some point to have a look at it....

Regards
Sy

mutt
VIP Member

Post #2 by mutt » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:44 pm

nice caravan, old fellow. You will find it an indestructable companion!.
There are specialty houses that should have a replacement sender.
Could just be corroded connexions.
Very trim craft you have there.....

Victor La Fountaine

Post #3 by Victor La Fountaine » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:32 pm

Looks very nice. Some notes on yours, doesnt look like you have any of the opening type windows on the doors or the sides. If so,, both the gaskets for the window itself, as well as new body gaskets are not available. Everyone still looking for some sort of replacement.
The fuel gauge and sending unit operate on a negative ground setup to the gas tank. The circuit designed for the top of the gas tank to make contact with the body and complete the ground circuit, a variable resistor type setup on the sending unit. Just to check it out,, take any ground wire, and connect a secure ground from the body of the sending unit, to a solid good ground, and check your fuel gauge. If it makes a difference, it may be as simple as a defective ground on the top of the gas tank, if not, the sending unit is for sale on Ebay all the time, same unit for Falcon. You can also,, take a wire and ground the sending unit side of the gauge, and if it reads full, then you know the gauge and resistor are working just fine. Also,, there is a resistor setup on the bottom of your instrument cluster, it is supposed to put out about 5 volts, still available, but pricey. The voltage coming in at full voltage, and then slpices off to both your gas gauge, and your temp gauge.
64 seemed to be the yr Ford started to do some major changes. First yr for an automatic, and the only yr for 4spd (Dagenheimer box very weak, and bad gearing),, also, a HD version available with the better 9" rear axle. Congrats on a clean looking camper.. enjoy..
vic

wallaka
VIP Member

Post #4 by wallaka » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:56 pm

So you have a 65 Comet too? Nice.
Down to 29 cylinders!
2006 Porsche Cayman H6, 1968 Mercury Monterey big block (390), 1967 F-100 240, 1965 Mercury Comet 404 (200), 2009 Triumph Street Triple

sasktrini

Post #5 by sasktrini » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:10 am

Hello Sy... Corey here! I've learned a lot here about my 170 Falcon Six!

Good choice!

I do know a couple users that salvage 1st gen Econoline parts hang out at vintage-vans.com - another great place to learn about the van-side of things, in case there are parts that don't cross over with other Fords. Good luck with the fuel level sender.
sasktrini, Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Sy Hollinshead

Post #6 by Sy Hollinshead » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:06 am

Victor La Fountaine wrote:Looks very nice. Some notes on yours, doesnt look like you have any of the opening type windows on the doors or the sides. If so,, both the gaskets for the window itself, as well as new body gaskets are not available. Everyone still looking for some sort of replacement.
The fuel gauge and sending unit operate on a negative ground setup to the gas tank. The circuit designed for the top of the gas tank to make contact with the body and complete the ground circuit, a variable resistor type setup on the sending unit. Just to check it out,, take any ground wire, and connect a secure ground from the body of the sending unit, to a solid good ground, and check your fuel gauge. If it makes a difference, it may be as simple as a defective ground on the top of the gas tank, if not, the sending unit is for sale on Ebay all the time, same unit for Falcon. You can also,, take a wire and ground the sending unit side of the gauge, and if it reads full, then you know the gauge and resistor are working just fine. Also,, there is a resistor setup on the bottom of your instrument cluster, it is supposed to put out about 5 volts, still available, but pricey. The voltage coming in at full voltage, and then slpices off to both your gas gauge, and your temp gauge.
64 seemed to be the yr Ford started to do some major changes. First yr for an automatic, and the only yr for 4spd (Dagenheimer box very weak, and bad gearing),, also, a HD version available with the better 9" rear axle. Congrats on a clean looking camper.. enjoy..
vic

Thanks Victor

Its the sender unit that is buggered, i am getting a reading of 39,000 ohms between the unit and any ground. The gauge still works, as does the old voltage regulator, although i have replaced this with an electronic regulator for better reliability. Its just finding a new sender that i wasn't sure about. I've been looking on Ebay and haven't found anything yet. You say a Falcon one will fit, so i'll have a look out for one... Any particular year, or are they all the same....? Don't know much about Falcons, never seen one...!!

Regards
Sy

Sy Hollinshead

Post #7 by Sy Hollinshead » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:08 am

wallaka wrote:So you have a 65 Comet too? Nice.

Unfortunately that photo was from the Ebay ad, so that car isn't mine.... :lol:

Sy

Sy Hollinshead

Post #8 by Sy Hollinshead » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:09 am

sasktrini wrote:Hello Sy... Corey here! I've learned a lot here about my 170 Falcon Six!

Good choice!

I do know a couple users that salvage 1st gen Econoline parts hang out at vintage-vans.com - another great place to learn about the van-side of things, in case there are parts that don't cross over with other Fords. Good luck with the fuel level sender.

Hi Corey, thought i recognised that user name. The ford-econoline forum is unbelievably quiet, so thanks for the new forum for me to go and have a look at...

Regards
Sy

66 E100 Pickup

Post #9 by 66 E100 Pickup » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:22 am

Sy, there are active 61-7 econoline forums on Yahoo!

OldEconolines is the biggest, Econosrus is another one with good info.

Both Vic and I are members, but he and I are the only ones I know of that peruse this board as well.

There are significant archives on both forums--wiring diagrams, '67 MC conversion tips, disc brake upgrades, everything you could want to know about your econo.

Also very good parts networks as a number of the guys salvage these ever decreasing in number econos...

John/Fresno, CA.

61EconoDave

Post #10 by 61EconoDave » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:37 pm

I was about to suggest yahoo! groups also, but it seams that someone beat me to it. I frequent this site a lot, but rarely post.

sasktrini

Post #11 by sasktrini » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:36 pm

Me too.

66 E100 Pickup wrote:Sy, there are active 61-7 econoline forums on Yahoo!

OldEconolines is the biggest, Econosrus is another one with good info.

Both Vic and I are members, but he and I are the only ones I know of that peruse this board as well.

There are significant archives on both forums--wiring diagrams, '67 MC conversion tips, disc brake upgrades, everything you could want to know about your econo.

Also very good parts networks as a number of the guys salvage these ever decreasing in number econos...

John/Fresno, CA.
sasktrini, Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Victor La Fountaine

Post #12 by Victor La Fountaine » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:51 am

Sy,,,,, if youre still looking for a sending unit,, one on Ebay right now,,,
vic/ca

item # 200267234787

Sy Hollinshead

Post #13 by Sy Hollinshead » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:56 am

Thanks for that, unfortunately he won't ship outside the US. I've seen a few of those on there, but wasn't sure if it would fit. It says in his advert that it will fit a 61-63 Econoline, but mine is a 64. Is there any difference...? If not, i will buy one off somebody else.

Regards
Sy

Victor La Fountaine

Post #14 by Victor La Fountaine » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:51 am

Sy.... have never seen or heard of any not the same for 61-->67??????
same gas tank, rubber seal, lock ring, etc,, etc,, Falcon site is supposed to the be the same. Will check it out this weekend.
vic/ca