Econoline swap BB6 to SB6, easy or hard?

Moderator: Mod Squad

econobob

Econoline swap BB6 to SB6, easy or hard?

Post #1 by econobob » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:02 pm

I'm a newbee, so have pity! I have a '65 HD Econoline with a shot 240 in it, 3 on the tree (tranny also needs work)! I have a supposedly recently rebuilt 200, 60over with a good (supposedly) C4 attached. I'd like to install this setup for now (if not too tough)and start the bodywork, leaving the option open to put in a good 300BB in the future. I would prefer to have the automatic since the vehicle is gonna be just used for fun. Is this a sensible approach or should I just wait until I can acquire the 300 setup I want?

BaldEagleMav

Re: Econoline swap BB6 to SB6, easy or hard?

Post #2 by BaldEagleMav » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi,

I'm no expert - especially in the differences between the SB6 and the BB6, but I would venture a guess that this swap should be pretty straightforward.

The swap of an auto tranny for a manual is also the easier direction to go!

Regards,
BaldEagleMav
BaldEagleMav

'73 Maverick 250/C4
Clifford Single Out Header
Holley-Weber 5200 Carb

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Post #3 by rbohm » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:13 pm

8) my advice would be to wait until you can afford a 300 swap to replace the 240. the reason is that the 300 is a direct bolt in swap. since you want an automatic, you will need to find an extra short tail shaft trans for a similar body style econoline. the C4 used in that generation had a very short tail shaft with one of two trans mounts, both above the tail shaft. one used a single bolt, the other used two bolts. if you find one, but your trans had the other mount, they are interchangable. if you use either of the longer tail shaft transmissions you will need to build a new trans cross member and shorten up the drive shaft.

moving this to the econoline section
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

early ford fan

Post #4 by early ford fan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:17 pm

you need a 170 crossmember.a 200 will not bolt to a 240 crossmember.

66 E100 Pickup

Post #5 by 66 E100 Pickup » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:34 am

There are actually a ton of differences, and the swap is NOT easy but if you have the parts, it is not difficult either. Fortunately you have the heavy duty stuff already in place--the expensive things like the 9" rear, heavier springs, the big radiator, etc. are all in place. Your radiator will need to be broken down to install a cooler and ports in the lower tank.

One of the most difficult pieces will actually be the auto tranny column. There is a guy in Southern Cal that takes cores out of the GEN 2 (69-74) and converts them back to the Gen 1, with a couple custom parts that need to be fabricated. You will also need to adapt your throttle cable bracket (the throttle unit for the automatic has an additional lever for the kickdown). As mentioned earlier, you will also need a short tail and a pan fill tranny. If you have a case fill C-4, a hole will need to be drilled up top to vent the tranny. I haven't had to do the hole stuff, so don't ask for details. You'll need to install tranny cooler lines, a shift rod or cable to the tranny, and a kickdown rod. Your driveshaft will be the wrong length.

See where this is going? I strongly recommend getting an expert that has done this conversion in the past. If you PM me, I'll get you the email addy of guy that has done lots of these. I also recommend joining the yahoo groups, oldeconolines or econosrus. You'll need to find some parts and ask lots of questions.

John/Fresno

econobob

Post #6 by econobob » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:27 am

Thanks John!!

Your response was really what I was looking for.

It doesn't make sense to go through all that brain damage just to use an engine I already have. I've also got a good 300 sittin in a pick-up right now that I'm just gonna remove and install in the econo. Know anybody that wants a 200 cheap!

Regards

Bob
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Jeep Wrangler
1994 F250 IDI Diesel
2003 Honda ST1300
1984 Honda Goldwing
and the 1965 Econoline
Plus sail & powerboats

66 E100 Pickup

Post #7 by 66 E100 Pickup » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:16 pm

post some details on the 200 (year, intake size, # of freeze plugs, $ ) and I can let the econo groups know about it. There are some w/144 and 170's that would consider the 200 a massive upgrade in that high altitude area you survive in :lol:

John/Fresno