Side-doors

Moderator: Mod Squad

Seattle Smitty

Side-doors

Post #1 by Seattle Smitty » Mon May 24, 2010 1:35 am

My old '66 Supervan had double swing-out doors, on the right side only. Some of this series of van had sliding doors, also on the right side, and I did see one rarity which had swing-out doors on BOTH sides; the owner said it was a factory option.

My current Econoline, a '79 E-150, has a sliding door, right side. I'd like to know whether the "broken-nose" series of Econolines (what, 1973 to maybe '86?) had swing-out double side doors as a option. Seems like I've seen them, but not sure. If the answer is yes, I think I'll start calling wrecking yards in the area. I would like to put a set of swing-out doors on the "wrong" side, the left side, of my van for increased access, assuming this is within reason.

Fins413

Re: Side-doors

Post #2 by Fins413 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:35 pm

I was the second owner of a 65 Econoline which had doors on both sides no windows. The orginal owner wa a florist company. Nice if you were siting still and wanted more air inside other wise just more places to leak.

The Plankster Prankster

Post #3 by The Plankster Prankster » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:12 am

sounds like a major project!! personally, i installed toolboxes on the left side across from the door, and a door on the other side would reduce my toolbox space... but i know they were offered in barn-door models, so that should be possible... but if you're enough of a body-guy to do that, i might have to call you do replace the track on my sliding door... i know i could do it, but really don't want to
83 F250 flatbed 300-6, NP435, 4X4, 5800lbs empty weight
87 E-350 6.9 diesel, c6, 3.55s, powertrax no-slip locker, onboard 120v power and compressed air, built out with toolboxes and toys

mwilliamshs

Post #4 by mwilliamshs » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:06 pm

3rd Gen Econolines are 1975-1991. Never heard the "Broken-Nose" moniker before. Pretty funny. The side door options were "barn doors" which are two hinged doors that oppose one another and a sliding door but they were all on the passenger side with no options for driver's side doors.

I know this is an old post, just trying to get the Econoline Corner up to date and accurate.
1989 E-150 Extended Body SuperVan Sportsmobile Camper Conversion 4.9L, C6, 3.08 R&P