sliding door

Moderator: Mod Squad

The Plankster Prankster

sliding door

Post #1 by The Plankster Prankster » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:33 am

on my recently-aquired 87 E350, every now and then the sliding door comes off its track and is a PITA. when i bought it, the nylon bushing that the rear point of the slider rides on was pretty well destroyed, so i installed the best one in the junkyard, which had minimal wear. since then, it has changed from a near-constant problem to an occasional problem, but it sure looks bad when i show up to look at a customer's car and have my own door falling off!! i've found that it works the best when i pull the handle down, then pull out on the rear edge of the door, then allow it to slide back, whereas trying to open it strictly from the handle often (not always) comes off track. any suggestions toward improving this condition?
if it makes any difference, the PO replaced both doors on the right side with some from the junkyard. he said the front one had been left open as someone backed up, the door hit a stationary object, and the rest is history. i'm not sure about the history of the slider door, but its interior matches the RF door, implying it was replaced from the same donor vehicle. also, the RF door doesn't mate properly to the rear of its frame, it sticks out almost an inch at the bottom-rear. does this sound like its just the door itself thats bent, or something else?
i'm sure i'll have a lot more to ask as i continue making this van my own....
83 F250 flatbed 300-6, NP435, 4X4, 5800lbs empty weight
87 E-350 6.9 diesel, c6, 3.55s, powertrax no-slip locker, onboard 120v power and compressed air, built out with toolboxes and toys

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: sliding door

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:54 pm

the RF door doesn't mate properly to the rear of its frame, it sticks out almost an inch at the bottom-rear. does this sound like its just the door itself thats bent, or something else?

I would say from what you describe and POS statement on the front door, sounds like the door jamb and or hinges (not as likely) have been bent out of org. position (sprong). He said old door was hit backing up so it was bent forward. The door jamb would need to be bent or pulled back into place, looking at the hinge mounts (compare with the other front door hinge mounting they are prob. angled forward. Do you have a prota power to use? It would give a better looking job, if not I have fixed a few just with a 2x4 block or small sledge not as nice a looking job though works. Hard say for sure with out seeing the sliding side door few pictures may help but I would suspecpt that it may have been hit also and need some straighenting to door frame and or tracks too.
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

The Plankster Prankster

Post #3 by The Plankster Prankster » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:13 pm

well today the nylon block that holds the rear of the slider on track broke. so i called the local parts store, and they don't seem to have one. i know this block is a "normal wear" item, so where do we find them? my first one came from the junkyard, and only lasted a month, so i'd like to go new this time. am i off to the stealership, or is there a better supply?
as for that RF door that doesn't mate tight, i found that half of the problem was simply that the post it latches to was too far in, so i was running half-latched. i moved that out 1/8" and now the top half of the door mates well, and the bottom is only out 1/2", which isn't nearly so bad.
87 E-350 6.9 diesel, c6, 3.55s, powertrax no-slip locker, onboard 120v power and compressed air, built out with toolboxes and toys

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #4 by bubba22349 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:48 am

am i off to the stealership, or is there a better supply?

Don't know if there is a better supply though maybe a bolt supply company. The one old long time NAPA dealer that I used could find almost any replacement part I asked for.

i moved that out 1/8" and now the top half of the door mates well, and the bottom is only out 1/2", which isn't nearly so bad.

Try losening the hinges at the door and twist it in you should be able to move it enough to fix that. :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

The Plankster Prankster

Post #5 by The Plankster Prankster » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:43 am

i checked the stealership today for that accursed nylon guide block, the man there said he used to sell them all the time, but hadn't in quite some time. when he looked it up, he found that ford discontinued them, but a few were still scattered around the country for the small price of about $50 after shipping. i thanked him for his time and told him i would look into building my own, and for now i have 2 of them from the local junkyard almost for free. hopefully they last longer than the first one.

80broncoman
Global Moderator

Post #6 by 80broncoman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:47 am

maybe you could make a split mold and make some from JB weld or something like that.
OAPSE Union Member

Real men don't wear Bowties
When it come to engines If its .001 loose nobody knows, But if its .001 too tight EVERYBODY KNOWS!!
80 bronco FUV (farm utility vehicle)300 T-18 3.50s EFI head, offy C dual plenum, 500 edel carb, 1.7 roller rockers, Crane 260 cam EFI Exh

The Plankster Prankster

Post #7 by The Plankster Prankster » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 pm

the other thought i had was to find a good piece of nylon and machine it down to size.... then i got the bright idea that i could do that with a piece of brass or something else... i hadn't thought about casting one from JB weld

chad

Post #8 by chad » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:04 pm

"...but a few were still scattered around the country for the small price of about $50 after shipping…"

member over at FTE (ford truck enthusiast - could it be < fort-truck.com >?) is fantastic at finding prts NOS etc. Ask him if inclined.
"Big thing is only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt" turbo2256b » 1/16/2017
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11), 250, NV 3550 & DSII to B transplanted, "T" D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33"X15", etc. Seeking: Hydraulic gear motor for Koenig pto. chrlsful@aol.com (413) 259-1749

old jupiter

Post #9 by old jupiter » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:35 pm

Yeah, the guy at http://www.ford-truck.com goes by "Number Dummy," is a retired FoMoCo parts man, and if he were Japanese they would designate him a "living national treasure."

I'm not where I can go out and look at the part, but it sounds like something that any amateur machinist could make from a block of Delrin plastic (fairly hard, machines well). If you don't know anybody, get the plastic, make a dimensioned shop drawing of what you want, and if you want to save money, give it to the machine shop instructor at your local tech college for one of his students to make. The local plastic house should have a scrap bin that might have a chunk of Delrin or something similar.