seats

Moderator: Mod Squad

The Plankster Prankster

seats

Post #1 by The Plankster Prankster » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:59 am

in my van, the drivers seat is pretty well trashed, its still comfortable, but there's not much left of the cover. also, my chiropractor expressed the opinion that the inclination of the back, along with its lack of height, could be a problem.
so between those 2 points, i'm looking at some different seats for it. i drove a dodge caravan awhile back, and found its seats very comfortable, and theyre available in the local junkyard. and they seem to be about the right height off the floor. on the other hand, i was also thinking about getting a pair of seats from an RV that have allow you to swivel to various positions, giving more options such as having a desk built in behind the seat, which i could simply swivel around and use, instead of having one block the center aisle.
what would you guys suggest? or is there a seat from something else that works well for us?
83 F250 flatbed 300-6, NP435, 4X4, 5800lbs empty weight
87 E-350 6.9 diesel, c6, 3.55s, powertrax no-slip locker, onboard 120v power and compressed air, built out with toolboxes and toys

broncr
VIP Member

Re: seats

Post #2 by broncr » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:58 am

While the Dodge seats offer you a catchy hybrid cross name - "Fordge", I can only vouch for 80's Bronco XLT captains chairs. I like your "swivel around to a desk behind" idea. Some automotive possibilities were mentioned in the recent swivel seat thread.

Of recent, I've only seen that type of bracket in some higher end boating applications. Boating regs require that a swivel seat locks into the forward position. 'Not sure what auto safety regs require/allow. If it worked on the Dodge seat you'd have more naming possibilities - Forboardge, Fubar'd... :lol:
'82 FSP Bronco. Just about every mod ever mentioned. ( Too much to list - or remember...)

The Plankster Prankster

Post #3 by The Plankster Prankster » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:17 am

interesting.... i saw one set of swivel seats in the junkyard, they locked in the forward position, so based on that plus the fact that i've seen em in motorhomes, i would figure its legal so long as they lock forward. i would have taken those seats if they weren't so torn up... maybe i should take that swivel unit and put it under a caravan seat or some other seat i decide i like... just watch me build something from 3 or more manufacturers :)
in a couple days i think i'll check for the broncos and see what i think about their seats, as well as their availablity.
i don't remember a thread about swivel seats, but a search reveals they came up in the "are we getting lazy" thread, is that the one you were thinking about or am i missing something
87 E-350 6.9 diesel, c6, 3.55s, powertrax no-slip locker, onboard 120v power and compressed air, built out with toolboxes and toys

randysvan

Post #4 by randysvan » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:56 am

I got some swivel captains chairs from a conversion van. They are SUPER comfortable. They even have the lumbar support. Its like sitting in your living room going down the road. I took only the swivel bases at first and kept going back to the local pull-a-part until I found seats with good upholstery. If you get only the bases, make sure you also grab the seat belt hook-ups. I found there are several different types.

I don't think swivel seats are "illegal". They just don't make them anymore due to safety concerns. If the spring that holds the swivel lock lever in place happens to break unexpectedly while driving, it could be dangerous. I had a spring break the week after I installed mine.
'86 Ford E250, 4.9, Carter YF, Duraspark 2

80broncoman
Global Moderator

Post #5 by 80broncoman » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:07 am

I have a set of seats that are going in my jeep when i were the jeep seats out.
They are out of a 88 Pontiac 6000. they are very comfy
Pontiac used the same seats in grand ams, and trans ams years ago
Also keep a aya out for a bostom spring suspension seat. THese are in larger trucks My F700 has one. THey aren't much to look at,
However they have about 5 inches of travel and soften bumps quite well.
Of course in a van you may have room for a full on air seat out of a big truck.
OAPSE Union Member

Real men don't wear Bowties
When it come to engines If its .001 loose nobody knows, But if its .001 too tight EVERYBODY KNOWS!!
80 bronco FUV (farm utility vehicle)300 T-18 3.50s EFI head, offy C dual plenum, 500 edel carb, 1.7 roller rockers, Crane 260 cam EFI Exh

The Plankster Prankster

Post #6 by The Plankster Prankster » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:45 am

i looked into the swivel chairs, but all the ones at my junkyard would only swivel a little before hitting the wall, which defeats the purpose. if you found some that have room to swivel all the way around, sounds like a great option!

randysvan

Post #7 by randysvan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:56 pm

Mine are from a Jayco conversion. The driver side is really tight at the shoulder harness retractor but it swivels and reclines.
'86 Ford E250, 4.9, Carter YF, Duraspark 2

mwilliamshs

Post #8 by mwilliamshs » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:19 pm

Swivel seats are still available. Sprinters are in fact rare without them in my experience (non-commercial). Swivel bases for all fullsize Ford vans since 1975 are widely available aftermarket and 67-74 are available, but not what I'd call widely. They typically lock in 3 positions (forward, rearward, facing inward) in all but driver's applications, which can't rotate far enough to use any more than 2 (forward, inward) due to the steering wheel.

I think Bronco seats are probably the best bet for FoMoCo transplants, besides other vans of course.
1989 E-150 Extended Body SuperVan Sportsmobile Camper Conversion 4.9L, C6, 3.08 R&P