'63 Econoline Pickup

Moderator: Mod Squad

LateApex

'63 Econoline Pickup

Post #1 by LateApex » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:26 am

Starting a new thread for my build...

Instead of the '64 window van (viewtopic.php?f=45&t=63868), I'm building a '63 pickup. I had wanted the pickup originally but there weren't any around at the time. Now, I have one. I'll use the van shell for parts.

Engine:
300 i6, '75 vintage
Holset 40x turbo, oil cooled
Ported head with big stainless valves
Stock EFI exhaust manifolds ('cause the turbo has a dual inlet)
Clifford dual 4bbl intake
Two Weber carbs from Maserati Biturbos
Custom blow-through intake plenum (in progress)
Steel crank

Turbocharging:
To be water-air intercooled
Will need custom forged pistons
Will probably use the Isky turbo cam

Front end:
To be Mustang II-style
Wheel wells will be tubbed to make way for wide tires

Rear end:
Jaguar IRS with limited slip and 3.31:1 ratio
Needs brake pads and U-joints but was cheap on Craig's List
Has Chevy bolt pattern
Rear wheel wells to be tubbed for wide tires

Transmission:
ZF S542, call it a 4-speed since 1st is a granny, but it has overdrive
Will need stronger-than-stock clutch

The overall goal:
I'm trying to keep the engine and transmission as low and as far rearward as possible for optimal weight distribution. I'm going with independent suspension front and rear. I'll tuck some wide rubber under there.

The complications:
1) Everything is so long. It's hard to make a mid-engine vehicle when the drivetrain (even without much of a driveshaft) takes up so much length.
2) I'm supposed to be finishing my Falcon project before I work on this.
3) I have to get the transmission and engine up into the chassis higher than I'd wanted. Basically, with the Jag IRS, the input to the diff is 10" from the ground. The drain plug on the transmission is 9" below the centerline and the oil pan on the engine is 8" below centerline. That means that without "lifting" the tranmission and engine, I'll have an inch of ground clearance. Lifting the trans and engine with a high-angle driveshaft seems like it will work, but the more I lift them, the farther forward they go, too, since I can only have so much angle in the driveshaft.
4) The Falcon is starting to show signs of jealousy.

Helped out by an '86 Toyota van:
1) Pedal assembly includes power master cylinder and brake and clutch reservoirs -- it mounts under the dash
2) Steering column (tilt!) has all the switch gear pre-wired and, better yet, has a rod that goes forward, changes rotation, then comes back under the driver (so it can hook up to a Mustang II rack)
3) Since the Toyota had the engine behind the driver, too, it has a cable-shifter -- I'm not sure I'll use theirs, but it shows me how to build one

Thanks for reading. I'll keep you posted on the progress. Don't tell my Falcon, though.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: '63 Econoline Pickup

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:49 pm

Good plan. :nod: :thumbup: Have you though of swapping the ZF for a T5 smaller, lighter, and would let you get the engine down more?
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

LateApex

Post #3 by LateApex » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:42 pm

I have thought of swapping the transmission for a T-5 or something of similar ilk.

I did some research and the T-5 doesn't look like it has much more distance from input shaft to the lowest point on the case, though. If someone has one and knows for sure, that'd be cool, but from what I've seen, it looks like I might only save an inch or so.

How much does a T-5 cost if it will handle 450 lb-ft of torque? I think they get pricey once you move up to the beefy ones.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #4 by bubba22349 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:07 pm

used T5's are cheap but your right aren't going to handle 450 of Lb Tq. :shock: Maybe a Viper trans would :hmmm:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #5 by CoupeBoy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:36 pm

got pics?