May purchase an Econoline truck. 1966 or earlier

Moderator: Mod Squad

Crosley
VIP Member

May purchase an Econoline truck. 1966 or earlier

Post #1 by Crosley » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:24 pm

Since it may be some time before we have a drag strip reasonably close to me, I am causally thinking about a Econoline truck purchase. I've looked around Craig's list in the southwest a little bit. Econolines seem to pop up from time to time

Besides rust problems, what to look for or avoid?

The vehicle would need proper paperwork (Title) Arizona requires titles on vehicles
Tony in AZ...

"130 mph is known as first gear at the Bonneville Salt Flats"

Eaglo

Re: May purchase an Econoline truck. 1966 or earlier

Post #2 by Eaglo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 am

I have a 67 pickup and haven't found many weak points. But here are some I've read about.

The front windshield (A) pillars around the windshield are prone to rust. Check about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom. They are small and difficult to repair.

Also the rear spring shackles on the earlier trucks are weak. Check for rust on them and the rear of the unibody frame. I believe from 64 and up the frame was strengthened. The later vans are a bit stronger and have some improvements that the earlier ones lack.

Usually you'll find the shift linkage on the 3 speeds a mess. You'll need some new parts for that. Oh yes, and the '67 is the only year with a dual brake system. The master cylinder is very difficult to find but it's worth having, as you really don't want to hit anything driving one of these things. You'll be the first on the scene of any accident you have. You can easily swap the dual cylinder into any year if you can find one.

Other than that, I haven't found any surprises. These are great little trucks. Easy to fix and fun to drive.

Good luck

Eddie

Crosley
VIP Member

Re: May purchase an Econoline truck. 1966 or earlier

Post #3 by Crosley » Sat May 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Possible purchase of a Econoline van , since the Pickups in fair shape seem priced higher than I want to spend. :lol:
Tony in AZ...

"130 mph is known as first gear at the Bonneville Salt Flats"