Fuel Tank - Is Bigger Better?

Moderator: Mod Squad

bakavan

Fuel Tank - Is Bigger Better?

Post #1 by bakavan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:50 pm

Oh gracious and knowledgeable Ford inline six gurus, I invoke you for assistance in delivering fuel!

1983 Econoline E-100 4.9L - Fuel filter got clogged up and some junk got into the carburetor. The fuel pump and filter have been replaced and the crud cleaned out of the carburetor. But, to be on the safe side, it's time for a new fuel tank. However, it would be nice to take the opportunity to increase the fuel capacity of the van as it has the 18 gallon tank located to the front of the rear axle and I would prefer stopping for fuel less frequently. The Advance Zone has this tank available (Spectra F24C). They also have the straps. But the key part they are lacking in is the sending unit/fuel pickup. They have the sending unit available for the 22 Gallon tank which mounts behind the rear axle (which my van does not have), but I'm coming up empty for a source for a replacement sending unit for the front 18 Gallon tank.

I guess my questions are these:

1. Is there a way to fit a larger capacity tank where the 18 Gallon tank goes? (I'm coming to this van from a Dodge B250 which had close to a 30 Gallon capacity)
2. Will the 22 Gallon tank fit on an E-100, and if so, is it painful to convert to run two tanks? Or maybe just run the larger 22 Gallon tank in the rear?
3. Is there someone out there who has new sending units for the front 18 Gallon tanks?
4. I think I read somewhere about aftermarket larger capacity fuel tanks for F Series Pickups - would one of those possibly work on a van?
5. Do you really have to play the lottery to win?

Your humble servant,

Bakavan