Re: Performance 200 engine update. Defective Engine from 1 Hot Vega

Moderator: Mod Squad

czilko

Post #1 by czilko » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:54 pm

Warning!! Do not do business with 1hotvega! Jeff sold me a 200 six engine with 2 barrel conversion in 2016. I paid a lot of money for an engine that was ready for the junk yard. The block he used was cracked at the water pump, so he brazed the crack and painted it so the repair couldn't be seen. The area kept seeping, and finally ripped open during a drive this past January after just 200 miles on this rebuilt engine. Jeff assured me that he would cover the block replacement under warranty, then refused to answer phone calls and texts after he told me that he would arrange for shipping the engine back to him in California. Upon disassembly, I found out that the block was bored out .080". The Falcon Performance handbook suggests .040" max. So again, this block should have never been a candidate for rebuilding. I recently found out that the 2 barrel cylinder head has loose valves, suggesting that the valve seats were worn out and never replaced or repaired. See the attached photos. I'm having the original engine rebuilt here locally. It was my mistake to trust someone from out of state. 1hotvega took advantage of me, and I don't want anybody else to suffer the same way.

wsa111
FSP Moderator

Post #2 by wsa111 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:02 pm

Does anyone have contact with him??
67 mustang,C-4, with mod. 80 hd, custom 500 cfm carb with annular boosters, hooker headers, dual exh.-X pipe, flowmaster mufflers, HEI dist. Engine 205" .030" over with offset ground crank & 1.65 roller rockers. 9.5 comp., Isky 262 cam.
2003 Ford Lightning daily driver. Recurving Distributors. billythedistributorman@live.com

wsa111
FSP Moderator

Post #3 by wsa111 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:39 pm

I just had a message from 1HotVega.
I indeed sold Chris a 200, long block engine with a 2V conversion. I built the engine with a D8BE Block and an E0BE head, which are both the best Ford makes. The block was bored .080 over, I sonic tested it and at .080 It still had .140+ in all six holes. If you have never had one sonic tested that’s thicker than most C5 200 blocks at standard, and thicker than almost every 302 Ford I’ve checked. The front water pump surface was pitted, I brazed up the deep pits. Silicone would have filled it but I furnace braze a first rate repair, likely unnecessary but I did it. Gave the customer a better job. There was no cracks, sleeves or other damage to the block. Quite some time after Chris received the engine (close to a year I think) he called me and told me the engine developed a coolant leak. I thought possibly a freeze plug or head gasket. I told him at this time I would furnish any parts and or machine work he needed to repair the engine. He advised that he find the cause of the leak and get back to me. Couple weeks or a month went by and he gets back to me stating that there is a crack in the block and provides a photo of a crack alongside the water pump opening. This is the most common 200 block crack. Anything that has been in a front-end collision where the radiator hits the water pump cracks here. Before I ever buy a core, I wire brush this area and I am 100% certain that the block I sent him was not cracked there. I immediately questioned him about the car being in an accident or the engine falling off the stand etc. He told me it didn’t, and I am not in TX, so it’s not as if I could go inspect myself. All the pictures I got were with the engine out of the car. While I was suspect that the damage was likely abuse I weighed warrantying it anyways. Though I never told him I was going to give him a machined block. I didn’t tell him because: I co-manage 2 residential care facilities. While I was dealing with Chris I had a resident stab another resident and slash a staff member. I was away from my business for almost six weeks dealing with the legal ramifications of the incident. Chris did indeed call me multiple times. While I stayed up on email I fell behind on phone calls because I turned my business phone off. After about a week I was checking my voicemail and noticed he had called multiple times a day. Called him back and explained my situation to him. At this time, I informed I would be away from the business for several more weeks and resolve his issue when I returned. Also told him if he needed to contact me e-mail as it would reach me, business phone and eBay store were both shut down. When I returned to my engine shop I was greeted by a letter from a TX attorney requesting slightly over $3000 to repair the engine I sold Chris. Apparently, it went to another machine shop in TX who said no part was reusable, head junk etc., which I know isn’t true. It left my shop fresh and couldn’t have that many miles on it. Next day I called Chris, got his voicemail. I left a message saying I wouldn’t pay the other shops repair bill, the written warranty he got with the engine stated that all repair work must be done by me, at my facility. Over the next couple months, I received a barrage of text messages and voicemails from him. Some threatening, some telling me I was going to heck. I see now he has decided to post on Fordsix forum. He’s got his side of the story, this is mine. Thanks for your response sir.
Since the customer did not comply with the warranty requests, i have no negative comments.
67 mustang,C-4, with mod. 80 hd, custom 500 cfm carb with annular boosters, hooker headers, dual exh.-X pipe, flowmaster mufflers, HEI dist. Engine 205" .030" over with offset ground crank & 1.65 roller rockers. 9.5 comp., Isky 262 cam.
2003 Ford Lightning daily driver. Recurving Distributors. billythedistributorman@live.com