VPN blocking

Moderator: Mod Squad

Haywood

VPN blocking

Post #1 by Haywood » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:33 am

I've been unable to access this site for days, I think it started Aug 11. I assumed it was down, but checked with "is it down or is it just me" and found, the site was up, but was still timing out. I use a VPN for normal day to day computing, and am committed to continuing that. I am able to post this as one of my computers is kept non VPN and I can remote into it. I am hoping this is temporary, as I really enjoy this site, and hope I've added something, if only amusement. The only thing worse than vulnerability is irrelevance. Keeping all the VPN eyeballs off of this site can't be a growth move. This is a bit of a fringe group to begin with, and without attracting new users, and hopefully keeping a few useful ones, it will eventually wither and die.

RichCreations

Re: VPN blocking

Post #2 by RichCreations » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:53 pm

Haywood wrote:I've been unable to access this site for days, I think it started Aug 11. I assumed it was down, but checked with "is it down or is it just me" and found, the site was up, but was still timing out. I use a VPN for normal day to day computing, and am committed to continuing that. I am able to post this as one of my computers is kept non VPN and I can remote into it. I am hoping this is temporary, as I really enjoy this site, and hope I've added something, if only amusement. The only thing worse than vulnerability is irrelevance. Keeping all the VPN eyeballs off of this site can't be a growth move. This is a bit of a fringe group to begin with, and without attracting new users, and hopefully keeping a few useful ones, it will eventually wither and die.

I doubt there is anything done to block VPNs here, I would check with your VPN provider, as the issue is likely with them... That said, people paranoid enough to make their internet service severely slower for something as trivial as this forum, are few and far between.

Haywood

Re: VPN blocking

Post #3 by Haywood » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:45 pm

RichCreations wrote:
Haywood wrote:I've been unable to access this site for days, I think it started Aug 11. I assumed it was down, but checked with "is it down or is it just me" and found, the site was up, but was still timing out. I use a VPN for normal day to day computing, and am committed to continuing that. I am able to post this as one of my computers is kept non VPN and I can remote into it. I am hoping this is temporary, as I really enjoy this site, and hope I've added something, if only amusement. The only thing worse than vulnerability is irrelevance. Keeping all the VPN eyeballs off of this site can't be a growth move. This is a bit of a fringe group to begin with, and without attracting new users, and hopefully keeping a few useful ones, it will eventually wither and die.

I doubt there is anything done to block VPNs here, I would check with your VPN provider, as the issue is likely with them... That said, people paranoid enough to make their internet service severely slower for something as trivial as this forum, are few and far between.

Actually after pointing it out to the Mods it went away. Paranoia, has nothing to do with it, and there isn't speed penalty. Frankly when I sit at someone's computer to do some minor repair or whatever, I marvel at what people put up with. I surf virtually ad free, even my google searches are more to the point. I turn off adblock for places like Fordsix.com, as a matter of principal.