VI Cylinder Head Update from June 28, 2017

1966Mustang

ALL THE THINGS
Staff member
Subscriber
Here's an update on the cylinder heads.

I have confirmation that the heads are in the machine shop at the foundry now. If work keeps progressing, they should be here for final assembly then shipping within a few weeks. I'm sorry I can't be more precise.

Attached, please find a checklist for additional parts you may want to order. Please print it, check the appropriate boxes, then scan it or send me an image of the form. There are two sides, and please remember to put your name and order number in the boxes. The sooner I hear back, the easier it will be to avoid backorders.

I am ready to finalize orders by accepting the balance of payment. While this is not required at this time, some have indicated a willingness to complete their order. The heads will be shipped based on the order of paid invoices. That is, the first head will ship to the lowest invoice number that has been paid. It will not be based strictly on the order the payments are received. If you are ready to pay your balance, let me know and I will send a PayPal invoice (I need your PayPal email address.) If you prefer, you can mail a check for $1965. Shipping will be extra, but will be the actual cost to ship for each individual order, and will be billed only after shipping.

There is an old joke, "Let me know if you don't get this e-mail." While funny, that's clearly not possible. The opposite is true, though. Please let me know as soon as you can that you received this e-mail. I will need to get in touch with everyone eventually to complete the orders. If I don't hear from someone, I will have to try other contact methods.

I will be getting Lynx intake manifolds from Australia for anyone interested in installing triple Weber DCOE's or triple SU carbs. They are designed for the 250-2V head, so I will have to perform minor modifications to fit the alloy head intake ports. There is a longer lead time, but as soon as I know there is interest, I will place an order.

Finally, I am interested in buying a certain number of cast iron heads to start a remanufactured/swap program. '69 and up are preferred, but I will consider any year. The price offered will depend on the condition and any modifications that have already been made. Please let me know if you are interested in that as well.

If you have questions that I have not addressed, please e-mail me.

Thanks for your patience, I know it will be worth it!

- Matt

View attachment Cylinder Head Order Sheet.pdf

Hello,

Matt just sent me this picture of the heads prepared for shipping to him:

image1.JPG

Please check your email and spam folders for any emails from vintageinlines.com. He would like to hear from you if you had placed a deposit.

Thanks,

Perry

Does anyone know when VI will be accepting deposits for their next manufacturing run of aluminum heads?

ssg66stang":2gi0zfc1 said:
Does anyone know when VI will be accepting deposits for their next manufacturing run of aluminum heads?
Call Matt 586-663-1966 at VI and let us know.

I'm tempted to run a poll on "How many for a 300 head?" but
realize about 1/2 of what was encountered on the 'sm block' and
that was overwhelming (time. talent, treasure!). Think it would B
more folks or less than the small block? How can we tell? Which continents?

chad":r24bpcwz said:
I'm tempted to run a poll on "How many for a 300 head?" but
realize about 1/2 of what was encountered on the 'sm block' and
that was overwhelming (time. talent, treasure!). Think it would B
more folks or less than the small block? How can we tell? Which continents?

I'm no marketing expert. I do know there are whole lot of 300's in service in pick-up trucks. It's a much more recent engine having been in Ford trucks until 1996. There is a good size online community in various forums that are driving maintaining and modifying these trucks. It's also a popular enough head that EQ sells the head in cast iron.

For street and long term use, I'd rather a virgin casting than a 3 piece welded head.

If the project is all there, ready for test castings, I'd think it's worth going forward with it.

"...EQ sells the head in cast iron..."
so some 1 already did a performance head for the 4.9L? Who is that? I like that it's iron.

I would think, since it has a removable intake - a modern design of benifit (isn't there a DP model?),
or
a cross flow,
or
easy turbo.

The 'heavy duty' and efi exhaust mani.s seem to B as good as custom.

Okay, it's still February, but just barely.

I talked to Matt (Matt Cox - owner of Vintage Inlines) this week. He has been contracting with a commercial/aftermarket cylinder head company for production of the heads. He is being told that his first production run (I think it is 100, but I'm not positive) will be completed by the end of March (2020).

Additionally, providing there are no issues, he intends to order a second run almost immediately.

So there's light at the end of the tunnel!

Brad

yeah, covid
;^ )

Back