Aluminum Head - Intakes

AzCoupe

1K+
Departed Member
Seems like I always need help on something. :unsure: :oops: :unsure: :oops:

We are working on the new aluminum head intakes and need to know the clearances we have to work with. Since I have a 67, which has the wider bay, I need some input from the rest of you that have early Mustangs and Falcons.

What I'd like to know, is how much room we have for the manifold, or the distance from the cylinder head face to the shock tower. My 67 has about 9 1/2 to 10 inches of clearance. My best guesss for a early stang (64-66) would be about 8 to 8 1/2 inches? Sound right? I have no idea on a Falcon?

We also need to know how much height we have to work with, as they want to raise the carb mounting flange one inch higher than a stock 2V intake. But considering we won't need an adaptor or spacer, my guess is it will be OK. Can anyone else give me a clearance from the carb face on the 2V intake to the hood? Or the overall height of their adaptors, carb, and cleaner assembly?

These are critical measurements, as we don't want to make the intakes to wide or to tall. But every bit of additional clearance will effect the runner designs for optimum flow, to match the cylinder head cababilities.

Once again, THANKS. :oops: :oops: :oops:

INTAKE UPDATE BELOW

Mike, From the Cylinder head to shock tower there is 8 1/2 inches clearance.

My Holley adapter plate is 1/2"

Clearance from the flange on the carb is 3 1/8" to the hood. I even had to polish the ribs on my carb hat to keep the edges from rubbing.

If you add 1 inch to the manifold you will have 2 1/2" clearance. I would leave the 1/8" alone for error. That's a very skinny breather, don't you think?

Has anyone taken measurements from the Australian Falcons so we can make sure it fits in our cars? Does anyone have the clearance for the TC Cortina? As far as I know they hit against the brake booster out of the factory.

Mike,

I will not see my car until Sunday at Knotts, but feel free to bring a tape measure.

Mike

Looks like we are going to make five or six intakes. We planned to make only three, but due to clearance issues, it looks like we need to add a couple more.

We are assuming a 4V intake will be the most popular, but to get the optimum flow on runner design, we'll need to add an inch to the width and possibly an inch to the height. Doing this may make it to tight for the smaller bays, but if one is persistant, the shock towers could be modified, the motor mounts shimmed, or a combination of both.

For a 2V, we simply wanted to go with an adaptor on the 4V intake. However, taking the above statements into consideration, it would seem a new 2V desgin will be imparative for the smaller bays. Since the 2V flange is narrower, we can design a new 2V intake and still maintain the optimum runner design without increasing the width and/or height.

For number three, we have also decided to look into a twin down draught Webber intake. Which will also allow a narrow intake to suit the smaller bays. Plus dual TBIs and a turbo would be a sweet setup, as would N/A with twin carbs, or twin TBI's.

The fourth intake will be a triple side draught Webber or TBI's (like the SEMA motor). This setup is awesome for N/A, but also allows plenty of room for a turbo plenum. We could also go with a triple down draught intake (#5). Both these are very simple to design and cast, and will fit in any application.

The last, and most difficult, is the M90 blower intake. Not only do we need to design the intake, but we'll need pulley sets, bracketry, and induction adaptors. While a throttle body is a simple bolt on affair (several aftermaket adaptors already on the market) we'll need to design some sort of adaptor to allow the use of a 4V carb. I don't think we have room fo the blower, the carb, and the alt all on one side, so we may need to go off the back of the blower, then up and over the valve cover. But were not sure on that one yet.

Our priorities will be on the 2V, 4V and the triple side draught. I'm also going to push the M90, but it looks like it will lag a few months behind do to all the extra parts that need to be developed with it.

Looks like I'm going to be pretty busy over the next few months. All the R&D, going to several swap meets and shows to promote the products, and starting a new job, is going to make for a long summer. :LOL:

I added a 3/4 inch spacer between my aussie 4v intake and carb. It fit fine with a low rise air cleaner.

thanks
John

Mike,

For the triple throttle body set-up, what is the measurement form the base of the throttle body to the tip of the velocity stack?

Thanks,

Mike

well for the turbo guys you need as much clearance as possible so that the bonnet can fit on it (there are no low rise bonnets) although maybe an intake with a forward facing TB for port injection? I guess this could also just be a plenum bolted onto the side draught intake much like some of the 2.3L guys are running

Mike, the triple TBI setup is 8 3/8". However, shorter stacks and thin air cleaners are available for tighter spaces. I'll bring it along to Fab Fords so you can look it over.

tbilrg.JPG

carbon_horn_2_lg.jpg

Is one of the intakes going to be a drop intake? for guys swaping in a 250. cause i started doing some measuring on my 60 falcon. that i was going to put a 250 in. and i dont know if it is going to fit b/c of the height. and a higher carb mounting surface would really put a damper on things. and is the head going to be avaliable with different combustion chamber sizes? for the different cube motors.

when a 250 2v is fitted to xk xl xm xp aussie falcons the clearance is pretty tight. so tight the 90degree heater elbow has to removed.

On my 65 I have 8 1/2 inches also from the cyl. head to the shock tower.

From the top of the intake to the hood I have 6 3/4 inches. (My nephew used all the silly putty so this was hard to measure :) ) With the adpator, Holley 350 + aircleaner the cleaner nut hits the bracing on my hood when closed.

hey mike, can i ask a question? will your manifolds (4v or tri carb) be able too bolt up too a original oz 250 2V head? :D or will i have too purchase the hole setup? :x

Could you give an update on the schedule for head testing? Or any new info? Now end of summer at the earliest? Haven't seen anything in months. Last one I saw said spring.

The clearance issues are going to be the most difficult part of getting this all done. And may limit the choices in some applications. But I have some ideas to help there too.

The cylinder head patterns are in progress and should be completed by the end of the month. Once done, we should be able to get a proto type head in a few weeks (mid -end of May), so we can start testing. We still hope to have them ready to go by mid summer, but the intakes may lag a month or so behind. This has really been a great learning experience for me and lots of fun. But a lot of critical decisions had to be made as well. Hope I did my homework throughly. ;)

As for bolting up the new intakes to the cast 250-2V heads, the answer is yes. We used the same intake port centers and bolt pattern for this reason. However, the intkae runners will be a bit smaller then the 250-2v ports, but thats not really an issue and easy to rectify with port matching.

Back