Aluminum Head (intake poll)

supposin we wish to make our own manifold just for our selves out of sheet metal
I mean do we have to purchase these ones or what if our application is unique enough to merit this.

will the head be sold in staged performance kits with the intakes and exhaust or will it be sold as an assembled head by it self leaving the intake and exhaust options to the end user?

sorry for all my questions but I have'nt been on in a while because of School :devilish: my professor is made of a substance that is know by chemists everywhere to be the formula for evil :devilish: lol.

thanks and Keep sixn'

Dan

could a 4v and 2v be made from almost the same patterns? just change the core plug for the runners under the car and the area around the carb?

So many questions to answer, but I'll do my best.

To use the M90 blower you have to use a 4bbl carb right?
Wrong, you can use a carb or injectors, as is true with any of the manifolds we plan to produce. That's the sweet part, you can start with a carb then add a throttle body and injectors when you have the money. We will be selling all the support parts too (fuel regulators, fuel pumps, controllers, etc).

Our original thought was to produce a 4V intake with an adaptor for a 2V, as that only makes sense. Or does it?

While doing our basic research, we found this may not work if we strive to achieve optimum performance from both. The 4V intake needs to be a tad bit wider ( 1") than a 2V design. Considering the clearance issues to the shock towers, a 4V design would need to sacrifice some of the performance to clear the towers in the early stangs and falcons. The 2V, being narrower, would be fine.

The question of how much would be sacrificed, still remains to be answered. Once we have a prototype in our hands, we will verify fitment, clearance, and runner design. Then flow test to see just how much of a difference it makes.

If only a slight difference, we will combine them into one intake. However, if it requires sacrificing to much, we will design specific intakes. But that brings up the next question, how much is to much?

Also, if we design specific intakes, the 4V may not fit the early stangs or falcons without modification to the towers. Which many may not be willing to do. This then makes some of the other options more desirable if you are seeking all out performance, but want to stick with natural aspiration. Thus the reason we are looking into twin duces or triple intakes. If twin 2Vs, do we go with Webbers, or Holleys?

The best fitting intake, would be a plenum design with a throttle body on the front or rear (customers choice) and injectors in the runners. But by the time you add up all the other parts (regulator, pump, rails, controller, etc) this gets a bit on the expensive side. We know we need to watch pricing, as we don't want to push these out of reach for those on a budget.

The best power would come from the M90. Best for show? The triple TBI (like the SEMA motor) are tough to beat. Easiest to maintain? Best MPG?

As you can see, we have a lot of work ahead of us, once we get a prototype head to work with. And a lot of questions to answer. Which is why I posted this poll. We want to know what you guys want, so we can quide our efforts in the right dirrections. ;)

I voted 4v but after reading Mike's reply about possible clearance problems a 2v intake would still work for me.

With the Fox Body I6's clearing shock/strut towers wont be a problem.

While I'd love to see some of the more exotic configurations I've come to the conclusion about things I will do with my car:

1) It will never be Forced Air
2) It will never have EFI.

I guess I'm going back to simplicity with my car which is what I like about it anyways. For that reason, a 4V intake manifold would be something I would think has most application. The exotics are going to be a much more limited market then a 2v/4v market. Advantage of going with the 4V as standard is you can buy a 4v-2V adaptor for those that want to use a 2V carb still.

As much as I love the look of those side-draft setups, the extra cost in new carbs, etc. would be cost-prohibitive for me. But those side-drafts are uber-cool. 8)
I think for most of us it's about what will work with what we already have.
If I had a 4bbl that's what I would vote, but since I have a couple 2bbls...;)

Mike - just a (somewhat long) thought: I put an Offy C on my 300. The C is a big open plenum 4V intake and as such it suffers in the low r.p.m. range. I installed a divider perpendicutlar to the engine that converts the intake into a true 180 degree intake. No more low r.p.m. problems. This has been done a couple time with the Offy C intakes on 300 motors with very good results. I think you should make your 4V and 2V intakes so that they can be easily converted into 180 degree intakes. I had the advantage of working in a machine shop when I changed mine; most people don't have that advantage.

I agree with Fred. If you look at other perfomance inline engine manifolding designs that utlize large carbs, you see that the manifolds were divided off to provide a more tuned effect.

Dual carbed Jags, Aston-Martins, and Austin Healeys had large 2" H8 SU's, each feeding three cylinders, but with a small balance passage to improve idle. Some mid seventies BMW's had dual Solex 2bbls arrranged the same way. The three carb version of these engines had a carb for every pair of cylinders, but with a balance passage between all.

70's Mercedes inlines had large 4bbl carbs, but the manifold was divided as Fred described. The effect was a 180 degree order that enhanced low speed quality.

Any Holley, Demon, or Edelbrock carb could be used that way. With an adapter, a Holley or Ford 2100 2bbl would work as well.

Can I vote for the 3x sidedraft webers again?
The IR weber type manifold could be the lower half of an efi intake for the -two birds/one stone- effect.
Rick(wrench)

One day down the road, 450 choke-less w/ mech. secondary 4V holley blown-thru w/ the garrett "super 60" sittin' atop Mike's 4V intake. Like the idea of the 180 degree thing, too!

Kirk

Mike, I have to go with the 4V.

I like the small venturi's of the primary that will improve the the cold driveability, compared to the large venturi of the 4412 & the down-leg booster. I have tested a 4412 with annular boosters installed by my request by holley & the driveability is fantastic, however the annular booster cuts the CFM to that of halfway between the 7448 & the 4412.

If Mike did not offer the 4V I would bore out the venturi of the 4412 so the flow would match the 4412 with the stock boosters but using the superior annular discharge boosters.

The vacuum secondaries of the 390 or the 600 will allow only the necessary flow required by your engine.

There is a secondary spring package that will allow you to control how fast the secondaries open.

Holley also makes a special vacuum secondary cover which has a flip cap so spring changes can be made in seconds.

V/R Bill

Back