Aluminum Head Update 7/13/06 (flow #s, specs, and pics)

AzCoupe

1K+
Departed Member
Well guys, as I sit here and type this, the new aluminum head is being flow tested. As soon as they are done they will call me with the results. Which means I'll finally be posting the specs around 7pm Pacific time.

They also finished up all the machine work so we were able to drop in the valves and cc the head. So I'll be posting the valve sizes and the chamber size as well. I already know those, but will wait and post all the specs together.

SCROLL DOWN FOR UPDATES ;)

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

Are you going to have the head on display in Indy??

Later,

Doug

I think this is a milestone in history! in our worlds anyway! Congratulations Mike! I know you must be exited and anxious too. Thank you for putting in so much time, effort and money into this to make it a reality for us all. It makes me think about the legends of yesteryear and all of their wonderful innovations, inventions, and work that led us to where we are today. My favorite hobby......engines and the hotrod cars and trucks they go in. WOW!!!

Darrell

I see you walking around the waiting room, smoking Lucky Straights down to the nub. Looking up at the clock, looking back down at your watch. Frowning, you walk over to the desk and ask the nurse if there is any news.
"No, Mr. Coupe. I said we will let you know when we have a result. Please have a seat."
Shaking your head, you walk back over to the window and look out. A light rain is falling and the glow from the streetlights reflects off the dark window glass. The man turns back and looks toward the desk.
"Nurse....?"
"It's an ESTIMATED time, Mr. Coupe."
"Of course."
The man fishes another wrinkled stogie out of his shirtpocket, hangs it in the corner of his mouth and bounces a old Zippo in his palm.
"My first aluminum head," he mumbles. "So many things can go wrong."
He fires up the pill and inhales deeply. "It's not even 6 yet," he admits.
"Do you ever get used to it?"
The nurse at the desk refuses to look up.

ROFL! What about a few more genres' outtakes?

Raymond Chandler
Kinky Friedman
Allan Ginsberg
JD Salinger

As to the original:

Exhaust valve: Check!
Intake valve: Check!

:p

I HAVE SEEN THE BEST VALVE STEMS OF MY GENERATION BURNED, THRASHED, LOST TO THE FUTURE.
UP, UP, UP UNTIL THERE IS NO MORE DOWN. THE FUEL. THE FUEL.
THEY ALL THIRST AND THEY ALL DRINK UNTIL THEY DRINK NO MORE.

Mike....We can't wait to hear the news!!!! I'm sure all of your hard work will pay off BIG!!!!!

I am anxious to see your results too. This will be great and it is going to be cool to see what everybody does with them as time goes by.

Coool!!!!!

Well, two hours late, the nurse finally points the doctor in my direction. :LOL: :LOL:

Over the past couple weeks, the machinist has called me numerous times to go over each and every little detail. In those weeks I could hear his passion for the project grow. Tonight when he called with the flow numbers, he was almost as estatic as I was. I doubt I could have picked anyone better for the job. It took for years looking for the right team, and they have all performed way above my expectations. But my hat is off to the machinist, who took this under his wing as if it were his own child. What more could anyone ask for. :D

Chamber Size: 55cc (however we can leave a bit more facing for 57-58cc)
Valve size - Intake: 1.840
Valve size - Exhaust: 1.500 (more below)

Flow numbers at 28"

Intake
100=52
200=99
300=143
400=180 (better than the OZ250 @ 600)
500=201
600=210 (our goal was 200)

Exhaust (the best part)
100=40
200=79
300=111 (better than the log or OZ head @ 600)
400=144
500=160
600=164 (our goal was 150)

High velocity ports, fast burn chamber with excellent quench and fuel distribution. These guys nailed it.

Now to even up the anti a bit more. The exhaust valve used in the proto type was a 1.50 as that is all that was available. The production head will be using a custom 1.55 with a 20 degree back angle. This will increase the flow and may get it up over the 170 mark. Also remember, the ports have not been polished or touch (yet).

The new head requires a custom stud set, as the pads on the intake side needed to be raised to allow room for the new intake port design. The studs on that side will be about an inch longer than stock. This also required rasing the valve cover walls, so the rim of the cover has room to clear the studs (nuts).

Production heads should be available in two to three months. We still don't have a final price yet, but should be posting it in another week or two. We still need shipping and custom totals, as well as the cost of the custom valves. But we are working on it. ;)

Awesome. That is so great. Congratulations. I would look for a package deal on the top-end stuff. You know, the full kit. Stay the course.

Super! Very impressive numbers as far as I understand. This is what these engines are there for, finally a head top it with enough grunt.

Chamber size gives some challenge to 250 builders. Suggestions?

Wow...those are awesome numbers. To put it in perspective, here are some intake numbers for 302 and 351 heads. Note the valve size..they are running 1.90" valves. With smaller valves, these would flow the same as Mike's!

chart2lx.gif

Numbers from http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/flowdata/aluminum.htm.

EDIT: I still called the head FSPP. Gotta change that I guess.

Aw, those flow numbers s-u-c-k.

Big time!

May your aluminum castings be eternally fruitfull under the hood of your Ford ;)

Mazeltof bro'!

Hey Mike!! For comparison do you have the flow numbers that you can post to compare the OZ Head?

It would be good to have the numbers side by side for those of us have Aussies already.

Will it feature CHI or Classic Inlines branding on the cast? A mock part number? ARG6DE 6049 AA would be close to "correct"...

For comparison do you have the flow numbers that you can post to compare the OZ Head?

I had my OZ head flow tested, but can't seem to find them. I only remember that the intake flowed 176@600 and the exhaust 106. However, we found a virginal 250-2V and they are flow testing it today. So I'll be posting its results over the weekend. I also hope to get results from a log head.

Will it feature CHI or Classic Inlines branding on the cast?

We haven't decided, but it will definitely have a Classic Inlines logo on it, once we design one.

A mock part number? ARG6DE 6049 AA would be close to "correct"...

Not a bad idea.......

Chamber size gives some challenge to 250 builders. Suggestions?

Not really. With a little more meat left on the face, it will have a 57/58cc chamber. Remember, this head should support 11:1 CR's without detonation due to the new chamber design.

Mustang_Geezer":1id0fyw9 said:
Are you going to have the head on display in Indy??

Doug,
Yes there is one already loaded in the trailer. However it's basically a bare casting, but you'll be able to pick it up and check it out!

See ya at Indy!
Will

Back