Aluminum Head Update 6/3/07

AzCoupe

1K+
Departed Member
Well, I decided it was time to start a new thread since the last one was getting to long.

Here's the latest update. We have been taking deposits for a couple months and have just about reach our goal for the first batch. Thus we will be placing the order next week.

The main reason we haven't placed the order until now, is because we wanted to make sure there were no unforeseen problems with the head before placing a large order.

We shipped out several heads to various forum members and are just now starting to get some feedback. Of course we all know Will and Kelly have been running the first proto type for the past few months with no problems what so ever. How ever, we have discovered a few minor issues that needed to be sorted out on the production heads.

I also wanted some feedback, so I could make up a tech sheet that can be sent out with the heads. Listing the varius items that need to be dealt with when installing the new head. That is now underway as well.

We also recieved the custom oversized exhaust valves two weeks ago, so the heads will be available with 1.50 or 1.55 exhaust valves. The 1.55 valves will increase the exhaust flow, however a little work needs to be done to the head to take full advantage of installing the larger valves. Cost will be $20 bucks more for the custom valves.

And finally, we are still waiting for the intakes, so there was no reason to jump the gun on the cylinder heads. But they are coming along and should be ready to cast in a week or two.

Lastly, we still need to produce the carb adaptors. But can't do that until we have a proto type of the new intakes. The intakes are universal, so we can mount a variety of induction systems with the same intake, with various adaptors being utalized. Options include, but are not limited to, a Holley/Autolite 2V & 4V, twin sidedraft Webers, and a single throttle body for EFI. We are also working on the triple weber intakes, and a plenum style intake for EFI systems, both with optional turbos. And still plan to produce an intake to suit an M90 blower.

As for feedback. We now have the cylinder heads installed and running on two motors, besides Will and Kellys. The third and fourth are just around the corner. A few more will be running soon, but propably not for a few more weeks. As soon as we have some firm data, we'll post in this new thread.

The installs in progress are going great. No major problems and everyone that's seen the new heads have been very impressed with the workmanship and quality. Most of the shops involved are actually quite excited and can't wait to see the result, just like all of us.

One of the test heads is on BillR57's 69 Mustang, which is currently out on the road with the Hot Rod Power tour. So if you live in an area where the tour is passing thru, you'll have the opprotunity to see it first hand and speak with Bill about the performance. Bill did tell me it runs much stronger, and if he puts the hammer down while on a slow roll, it lights the tires up.

MustangGeezer also has his installed and running, and will be going to the drags this coming Friday night for a test and tune. He'll be posting his times on Saturday, so that should be very interesting to say the least.

A third is currently in the shop having the head installed this week. It will be dyno'd withiin the following week or two, once he gets it dialed in.

The forth is also getting close, but the builder is producing a custom homemade intake, so it may take a couple more weeks to get it up and running. All the stops have been pulled for this one as the cylinder head has been reworked for maximum performance. It too, will se a dyno as soon as its up and running.

For those in Australia, we will have a local dealer you can purchase from. Even tho we don't need to ship the heads to the US, we will need to ship the intakes and valves to AU, plus our dealer will be adding a markup for his profits. Therefore the price will be about the same as the US price. We will let you know as soon as they are available, which will be about the same timeline.

My dream of six years is just about to become a reality. As soon as a few more little bits and pieces fall into place, we'll be there. It seems like it's taken forever, and it has. ;)

Just thought since this is a new thread, I post a couple items for those not famailiar with the new heads, like the flow numbers, charts, and some pics. We'll post more photos of the new installs as they become available.

Flow test results - CI Aluminum vrs OZ250-2V Cast
Intake
100=52 vs 63
200=99 vs 101
300=143 vs 133
400=180 vs 155
500=201 vs 156
600=210 vs 156
Exhaust
100=40 vs 36
200=79 vs 68
300=111 vs 91
400=144 vs 98
500=160 vs 103
600=164 vs 105

INTAKE FLOW CHART
intake-chart2.jpg

EXHAUST FLOW CHART
exhaust-chart2.jpg

AH022lrg.jpg

AH012lrg.jpg

Does10 & TurboChick
006m_jpg.jpg

MustangGeezer
AHDoug1.jpg

BillR57
AHBill1.jpg

AzCoupe
69AH1.jpg

Bummer, the Power Tour was here last Saturday. I wanted to go but was busy in the yard. If I had known there was going to be a car with the new head there, I would have found a way to make it...

Based on the images posted it looks like at least two of those engines are naturally aspirated and running what appears to be small four barrel carbs. I'm looking forward to seeing some info on those including details of internals, cam specs, etc, along with some dyno charts (if available) and such.

:)

actually the first and last are turbo motors the first is Does10s car and the last is Mikes road racing car that is almost done

Mustang Boy":1xun5olc said:
actually the first and last are turbo motors the first is Does10s car and the last is Mikes road racing car that is almost done

Yep, but the middle two are naturally aspirated.

We'll have two more N/A motors with the new head in a couple more weeks. Actualy, I think one may be done by the first part of next week, and the other the first part of the following week. Each has had a different amount of work done to the head. From straight out of the box, to a fully rework, ported and polished head. Dyno's will be forthcoming.

addo":27zh14qn said:
Which one has the manifold stamped "ADDO" :unsure::

(I know. :LOL: )

:D You are right, Thank you for letting me use it. :D

Mine is naturally aspirated also, with a 500 cfm Holley 2 Bbl.

82F100":3cnion8k said:
Crosley, you still have your project?if so how's it coming?

yep , I still own the ol 62 Falcon..

No progress forward, only backwards...... LOL

I gave the engine guy an exhaust gasket to use for a pattern to have his friend water-jet a thick exhaust flange. I TOLD the engine guy to check the gasket against the head as I thought it did not match the ports correctly.

So......... after the flange was cut , it was learned the ports do not match in the center port area of the head

:deadhorse:

Mike,

First let me wipe the drool from my chin! Those numbers are awsome! I have spoken with a few of the engine shops here in Great Falls and to a few folks at the car shows and they are eager to see the final numbers when all is said and done.
I am very impressed with Will and Kelly's as well as everyone else's numbers. Keep up the great work and please keep us posted.
Mike, there has to be countless "set-ups" possible with this head. Someday, maybe we could email back and forth and come up with the best combo for HP/Torque and city driveability.
Ted

First of all, great work. Not only for the excellent piece of engineering that all of us are waiting for with baited breath, but for all the posters for asking the right questions; turning this into a great resource for all of us.

That said, there was mention of a T5 bellhousing possibly being produced for the 200. I was wondering how that was progressing as it was not mentioned again. If there is a thread in the drivetrain section I'll direct my questions there (couldn't find one ,new to this whole thing :unsure: )

Thanks all

This is the latest on my build.

By the time I delivered all the parts to complete the engine build the shop was swamped with Spring Builds. I have been promised that this build will be finished soon. I was asked to call again next week.

Sigh!

Ric, thanks for the update. I was wondering what happened. Looking forward to your test results.

EDIT: I just heard from the machine shop. They recieved some castings from the first batch on Friday 7-27, and will start machining them today. So I should start shipping the first orders in a couple weeks.

Unfortunately, the intakes are taking a bit longer than promised. However, they said they would have the proto types to me in four weeks. I ordered three of them, so we can do a little testing before going to full production. The testing stage should only take a couple days and I can't forsee any problems, so it shouldn't delay production of the first batch. Providing no changes need to be made. The only snag now, will be getting into the foundry's schedule, as they won't accept the PO (set the schedule) until they have all the tooling on hand, ready to go.

The pattern maker is also starting on the triple Weber intake, and the plenum chamber next week. I meet with him last Thursday and worked out all the little details, and made sure they knew exactly what I wanted. He said he's never heard of anyone using only two manifolds to offer all the differnet induction packages. From 2v & 4v to 2x2v & 3x2v, from CFI and multiple TBI's, to tuned port injection. All with capabilities for boost and dual fuel injection. And lastly, a Eaton/Magnuson blower manifold, with carb or EFI options.

So here is the latest.

As it turns out the 2V intake that Slade has donated to get this build done, does not accept the 32/36. I will however be able to have an adaptor built that will enable the installation of an Autolite 2100. It only took two days of measuring and moving views around in Visio to work it all out. I just dropped off the intake, carb and OEM carb PCV spacer to have this adaptor made. I think this is the last little detail that will help complete this build and get the car back on the road.

I haven’t heard from Waterhouse on the engine but they should be done by now. As soon they call I can deliver to have the car finished.

Like Mike told me once, “It is amazing how long it takes to complete a project when you have to rely on a number of different shopsâ€￾. I can now relate.

I promise some pics and maybe even a video later on, Ric.

Look how long its taken me to get the aluminum heads done. I would have never guessed, it would take two and a half years. Hopefully, the big six head will move along quicker. ;)

I got the final draft of the intake last Friday. Looks sweet. They are suppose to have three proto types done by the end of the month. Then we can finally schedule the production run and get these things done.

The biggest problem, is hiring the best in the industry to do the work. They are just so busy, they do what they want, when they want. But if you want the quality they are capable of doing, you learn to sit back and wait. In the end its worth it.

Back