Aluminum Head Update 3/13/07

I just noticed the "pads" on the top of each intake port.

Are those pads machineable for direct port injection? NO2 injection?

I'm pretty sure that's the reason for them. I read something about a 12-point injection option, six in the intake and six there.

Does the new alloy headed engines still give out that V8 rumble through the exhaust? .....has the Alloy head changed the exhaust note of the 250 ?

Anlushac11":2lpunrz1 said:
I just noticed the "pads" on the top of each intake port.

Are those pads machineable for direct port injection? NO2 injection?

Yes, that is correct! :D :D :D

Later,

Doug

8)

What do you want to know?

Mike is taking deposits Deposits information is listed on Classic Inlines site and the head costs $1350 without intakes.

http://www.classicinlines.com/products.asp?cat=31

http://www.classicinlines.com/deposit_info.asp

Intakes will run in $250-$300 range and are designed to maximize the heads performance.

You will also need a install kit which has longer intake side head bolts due to the heads taller intake port side for the raised intake ports. Info is on the Classic Inlines site.

New intakes are in final stages of development and should be ready this summer, possibly as soon as a couple weeks.

Chuck,
Well I think Kelly and I have done this somewhat with her car.

We've only changed the head, intake and carb. Same turbo, same short block, same cam, same torque conv. gearing, tire size, boost levels etc. The car is slightly lighter but only by a couple of lbs.
The only two differences that I can think of in the setup is that we are now running strictly E85. We were running about a 50/50 mix of E85 and Trick 106 unleaded race gas. The other change was to an electric inline water pump. So a couple of HP numbers may have been gained by not having to turn an engine driven pump.

Best ET with the log head = 11.85@115
Best ET with the Alum. head = 10.95@124

Both of those passes were in Phoenix, but at different tracks. The Alum head run was at a higher altitude (Speedworld) and higher ambient temp (mid April). The log head pass was in early Nov. and at Firebird.

Another thing that confirms this is that our 60' times are about the same with either head. So as expected the Alum. head flows much better at higher RPM then the log head.

Chassis Dyno numbers (at the tires): again same setup as both above. Same dyno.

5/21/2006 - 83 degrees F. ambient
Max torque = 437@2500
Max HP = 270@4800
Avg HP/torque =233/337

03/30/2007 - 69 degrees F. ambient
Max torque = 502@2700
Max HP = 318@4900
Avg HP/torque = 294/405

Does that help any?
Later,
Will

Hi Will,
Didn't mean to sound curt, no offense was meant. You and Kelly have done an amazing job with your motor. Knocking almost a full second off your ET is amazing, and your dyno numbers are nothing short of flabbergasting. But I should have been more specific: I myself am not interested in running boost, and therefore am more interested in seeing dyno charts (I'm a torque curve junkie) for normally-aspirated configurations of the 200 and 250. (I'm on the fence for swapping in a 250 or sticking with the 200 when I rebuild with the new head.)
Thanks,
Chuck

8)

Id drop a 250 in mine in a heartbeat except theres that whole fabricating a rearsump oilpan and pickup thing.

For a handling road racing type car Id go 200, for a street/strip car Id go 250.

69Falcon":16ak5nre said:
Anlushac11":16ak5nre said:
What do you want to know?

Dyno/strip testing results where the motor remains unchanged except for the head, intake and carb.

I suspect you might want to include a set of headers, and at least a mild performance cam (along with lifters, new valve springs, etc), too. I seriously doubt anybody would buy one of these heads and use the stock cast iron exhaust manifold or the stock cam. Don't you?

:)

I want to hear some more about that M90 intake adapter that Mike was talking about. Gotta love that blower whine.

Even though its not as efficient as the turbo, I might go the supercharger route so I can keep those good sounding headers.

shmoozo":t3zi5w8d said:
I suspect you might want to include a set of headers, and at least a mild performance cam (along with lifters, new valve springs, etc), too. I seriously doubt anybody would buy one of these heads and use the stock cast iron exhaust manifold or the stock cam. Don't you?

:)

With the new head, yes I would get a new cam, lifters, springs, etc., but believe it or not, I'd consider using the stock exhaust manifold. :shock: I prefer a quiet exhaust, I've never seen any hard data on how much a header outflows the manifold, and of course there is the cost factor. Most likely I will end up getting headers, but I'd consider running the manifold for awhile.

And before I get flamed, keep in mind that my car is my daily driver, and I don't really plan on taking it to the strip. I'm just looking for some improved performance, not 10 second quarter mile times.

andrew3":79818t4v said:
I want to hear some more about that M90 intake adapter that Mike was talking about. Gotta love that blower whine.

Even though its not as efficient as the turbo, I might go the supercharger route so I can keep those good sounding headers.

Combine a 250 optimized for a blower with the M90 and the I6's ability to produce low end torque and a blowers ability to produce near instant throttle response might require a neck brace warning

"WARNING: THIS VEHICLE IS SUBJECT TO MOMENTS OF RAPID, NECK SNAPPING ACCELERATION. PLEASE HAVE NECK BRACE IN PLACE AT ALL TIMES WHILE VEHICLE IS RUNNING"

69Falcon":2uaft1i5 said:
Hi Will,
Didn't mean to sound curt, no offense was meant......
Chuck

None taken Chuck! I couldn't remember if I had posted our results yet so I took the opportunity.

I agree that Kelly's car is not the run of the mill....umm...mill. Not everyone will want to go the boosted route. And that's fine! In fact the more different methods to increase the output of the Inline 6 the better!

I'm sure we'll have some N/A number shortly as there are a few heads already out there that some forum members are installing as we speak. Most are N/A.
Later,
Will

Sorry if its been covered before, but the thread is soooo long!

Do you have a distributor for the heads here in Australia? As they are being made here, then surely the price can't be the same as the $USD on your site? Or are the heads cast in Aus and shipped over to be finished in the states?

Thanks.

the heads are made over there in OZ and i believe he has a distibutor for the heads in OZ and the price is the same just shipping is less cause we pay to have it shipped here to America

to 66 fastback's post on the laws of physics lol you are totally correct, the venturi in the carburettor creates a low pressure area of air at the point where the primary fuel system enters the air flow, atmospheric pressure acting on the float bowl pushes down on the fuel and forces it into the low pressure area where it mixes with the air. providing the venturi is appropriatley sized for the engine capacity the throttle plate provides further vacuum at criuse to ensure propper enrichment

Back