Aluminum Head Update 1/14/07

AzCoupe

1K+
Departed Member
Looks like its tme for another reply.

The head will be somewhere between $1200-1400 complete. We are just waiting for all the development cost so we can add it all up. It just taking a bit longer, as we had to have the patterns modified three times to take care of all the issues. Guess I'm to picky, but I just want it right the first time out. We also had four proto types made, and those need to be figured in as well. Were still working on the 4V intake, but estimate they will run about $200-250.

Once we have all the numbers, and a fair idea on how many we think we will sell, we can figure the price. Sorry its taking so long. Believe me, I want these done alot more than anyone else, as I need to start recouping the cash I've tied up over the past four years. Its been a long journey, but fun and educating. I'm amazed at how much I have learned from the experience. Its been stressful at times, but I've loved every minute of it.

We are doing everything possible to keep the total under $1500, but when you consider the core boxes for the intakes alone, was 10K, its going to be difficult. I'd hate to tell you what I have invested in the cylinder heads and intakes, but I could easily have paid off my house mortgage. :shock:

As for crate motors, we will be offering them in a couple months. We are working with a company in SoCal, that builds many of Fords warrany replacement motors. They will be building the short blocks, minus the cams. By ordering fifty short blocks at a time, we can save a ton of cash, as compared to building them one at a time. Plus they have a great warranty.

Once an engine is ordered and we know what the customer wants, we will slide in the cam, drop on the head, and crate it up. It will be complete, from the oil pan to the induction system, including the customers choice of optional ignition systems. We plan to do the break in on a dyno and provide dyno sheet on every motor so the customer know precisly what he bought. However, that is going to take another chunk of cash, and may be down the road a bit. I talked to several dyno manufacturers while we were at PRI, and a couple of them agreed to watch for a good used one for us, so maybe we'll get lucky and have one in a couple months. Then we just need a shop to put it in. But thats coming too.

My first priority right now, it getting the new website done. Once the heads get here, I won't have time to work on it anymore.

A while back, someone posted a graph of the intake flow, comparing the new head to two popular V8 heads. I used it on the new website, but added the OZ and log heads to it. I also did one on the exhaust flow, however I only did the small six heads and not the V8. They clearly demonstrate the improvements in cfm, especially the exhaust ports, and why the new head is peticularily well suited for those using turbos.

flowchartmu4.jpg
flowchartexhpb3.jpg

I can't wait to see Kelly's falcon run in a couple weeks at the PSCA races here in Phoenix. I hope Will can get it dailed in, in such a short time. For those of you who haven't seen what we are up to, here's a pic of the Hogan intake we had made specifically for this application. Its being test fit on a cast head in this pic, but will be bolted up to the aluminum head this coming weekend, once its installed. As I said once before, I think Will is going to have to surrender his user name to Kelly after this weekend.

dsc02148medsx1.jpg

mmmm i like this getting cheaper is that with or with out valves and springs?
any idea on australian price?
drift

Great update on the new head,Mike! The flow numbers look very nice.... on a par with the V8 offerings. You are to be commended on your persistence in getting it right the first time.
As for the Hogan intake on Kelly's car...... Wow!

Terry

I don't think I'm gonna be able to get in on the first batch of heads, but I might grab that crate motor like whoahhhhh. Hey Mike, if you guys open a shop, are you gonna be lookin' for help? =DDD

i never thought i would see a sheet alloy manifold on a six, looks great does10s.
i noticed you have made extensions for the bowl vents. noticed any difference with them?

cheers Greg

Greg,
The bowl vent extensions did rich'en up the mixture a bit. I had to drop the jets by about 5.
I got the idea from TurboMustangs.com so I can't take credit for it.
Later,
Will

Mike a correction o your post...It's not a PSCA race, It's a new assoc. West Coast HotRod Assoc. 8) Which ClassicInlines is sponsoring the money for #1 qualifier in OpenComp ;)

Does10s":q374n0xn said:
Greg,
The bowl vent extensions did rich'en up the mixture a bit. I had to drop the jets by about 5.
I got the idea from TurboMustangs.com so I can't take credit for it.
Later,
Will

Will,
i too had seen it on there, thats why i curious. do you think it was worth it?
what carb have you got now?
Have you tried the BRPV yet as they all seem to talk about on turbomustangs.
BTW love that manifold.

Greg,
Ya I think it was worth the effort. It only took about 15min. to bend, and install them. I didn't make them as long as some of the TurboMustangers did. I wanted to remove the carb hat easily.

BRPV? "Boost Referenced Power Valve"? No I haven't tried the BRPV yet.
I'll have to read up on that one. Seems to me that all PVs are boost referenced. No vacuum.....it opens!

The carb is a mech. secondary 450cfm with metering blocks in the secondaries, and the Braswell bowls. (aka QuickFuel).

I agree that the intake looks great! I hope it works equally as well!
Later,
Will

I66 - There are a number of different manifolds that will be available, and from what I understand they will be cast aluminum for actual production pieces.

Anybody knows differently please feel free to correct me, but this is what I gather from what I have seen.

I66coupe":jdu8ovv8 said:
Ok, I'm confused and worried here. Is this the manifold you are going to sell for the AL head?

The new head has the same intake pattern as the Oz head that Will and Kelly are using now.

Good. That manifold may work well but its one fugly piece of aluminum.

What works doesn't always have to be pretty and anyway, you can't see it with the hood down.

66coupe,
i dont think the manifold that Will has on their T2502V is a representation of the upcoming manifolds. This is a sheet metal manifold that Will has had made up for the meantime.

66Coupe,
If you look at this same thread on page 4 you'll see the molds for the 4bbl manifold.
The finished cast aluminum intake will be closer in appearance to the Oz 2V intake.
The Hogan intake was fab'd up as a design practice. The basic runner design was taken from the Hogan and used for the cast intake.
The cast one will also be MUCH cheaper!
Later,
Will

I have been watching this thread with great interest. Looks like a lot of people have. This begs the question "Is there an official waiting list and how do you get on it?" I would imagine initial production will not meet demand and I don't want to have to show up a week prior to release with a sleeping bag.

i assume we'll be able to use standard aftermarket gaskets..?

and does anybody know where to get custom sized steel shims? i.e. overbores

smith":3cdu166z said:
i assume we'll be able to use standard aftermarket gaskets..?

and does anybody know where to get custom sized steel shims? i.e. overbores

Contact Mike at Classic Inlines. He posts on here as AZCoupe

This is truly remarkable stuff , A great read , Great to come across a site where the old pre Xflow is still revered and even better to see the awesome development thats going on with the 2V....will deffinately be watching this space.

Back