Aluminum Head Update 8/28/06

AzCoupe

1K+
Departed Member
Might as well post some pics here.

We have the proto type installed on a new engine and should have it running in a couple weeks. Can't work on it next weekend as we will all be in Vegas for the PSCA races. But will be back at it the following weekend. Hopefully we'll get it fired up.

We are producing eight more proto types in a couple weeks. One goes to Will & Kelly, two for Dyno testing, one to the intake designer, and one to me (for my 66 coupe). That leaves three, which will be going to members we selected to assist in testing. One already knows about it, the other two don't. Humm, wonder who they are. :LOL:

Once they are installed and ran for a few hundred miles (or more), and we're sure everthing is OK, we'll go to production. We should have them in stock approx two months after we give the final approval. We simply don't want to rush and sidestep the last and most crucial step (IMO). We would rather take another month or two to be certain we are supplying the best cylinder head possible.

BTW, Santa told me he reserved plenty of space in his sleigh. ;)

My 200 has cylinder head and boost envy now :devilish: That is just sweet Mike :eek:

turbo_fairlane_200":186a6vh4 said:
so getting close to a ballpark number on cost? just would like to know how much to make the check out for.

Maybe you are one of the "mystery members" that will get one! :D

I sure wish I was... I'd have to get the new shortblock built "muoy pronto"

well being I have no aussie intake to toss it on with.....just a pile of AL to weld an intake from....

but ordering my MS this week and have my crank trigger parts and injectors. just need to deciede on an TB to run (leaning towards 4.6 sohc)

turbo_fairlane_200":3blxxi9o said:
well being I have no aussie intake to toss it on with.....just a pile of AL to weld an intake from....

Yes, but both you and I have welders/machine shop access and could make one!

turbo_fairlane_200":3blxxi9o said:
but ordering my MS this week and have my crank trigger parts and injectors. just need to deciede on an TB to run (leaning towards 4.6 sohc)

I have one if you need one. Cheap. (off of a '96)

AzCoupe":36zd2g3o said:
I will have a distributor in Austraila, maybe two or three. So any one of them can ship to you locally.

Been keeping an eye on this for a little while. Any more news? Pricing in Aus etc?

Also, how heavy/light :) is the new head?

AzCoupe":mp2jmw4j said:
What kind of belt will run it, v-belt or will there be a serpentine setup?
Magnuson has told me that a V-belt will work fine for boost up to 6lbs. However after looking at the various belts, it looks like 5 ribbed is the best way to go (IMO).

Can I sign up now to be the tester for the new head?

Actually, we have discussed sending five or six heads out to regular forum members for that very purpose. Preferably those that drive their cars on a daily basis. It would also have to be a member that currently has an OZ head, as they will need to use their existing OZ intake. Since our manifolds won't be ready for 2-3 more months.

We are running off a batch of ten heads in a couple weeks. ;)

i have one of the oz heads on my 6 and drive it everyday, id be more than glad to test it even though im in australia, i wont say no!

Magnificent. Perfect way to lose 20kg from the front heavy Cortina!
Yep I second that. One will definitely be on the shopping list in the near future. More power, less weight and better handling what more do we want? :D I look forward to trying one on LPG.

finsh car first then ill arange it for ya ;)
what sort of boost this thing going to be able to take with what comp?
drift

I plan on building my 250 in two stages, mainly because of limited funds.

Stage one being the head, stage two being the block.

Will this head be OK to run on a completely stock bottom end?

Cheers :)

XLE1974":31fnzzw0 said:
Will this head be OK to run on a completely stock bottom end?

Absolutely!
Just double check you compression ratio, should be 9.5:1 to 10:1 on pump gas for best performance.

AzCoupe":13m9s2bn said:
The company designing the manifolds has completed the 4V intake. We are picking it up tomorrow and taking it to the pattern maker so he can start making the patterns. I'm not sure how long this will take, as it depends on his existing backlog of work. But once he gets started, it should only take a couple of weeks. Then we still need match plates before the casting can be produced. Basically, what I'm saying, is that we are hoping the intakes will be done roughly about the same time the first batch of heads arrive in October. Maybe sooner? ;)

Any idea on the physical size of the 4v manifold? Eg. Will it sit out further/closer/similar distance from the head the the OZ 2v manifold?

It can't be much different. After all, one of the test hacks will be an early US Falcon, and they have very little clearance between the lower water elbow and shock tower on a regular 2V.

Also when you examine the way a 2V manifold's runner's "develop" the carb/plenum position is a fairly respectable compromise. Move the carb further out and the long runners will possibly be too long. Push it closer and you'd need a larger equalising plenum; more of the "log" concept again as the stubby little runners to 3&4 won't be so inclined to develop nice flow pulses.

IMO, it'll be like Penfold's Grange. Old ones are still valuable, new ones respected and readily bought.

addo":1i8evnkn said:
IMO, it'll be like Penfold's Grange. Old ones are still valuable, new ones respected and readily bought.

Nicely put. Looks like I'll be changing my brake booster bracket to a TE/TF one for my corty. The TD booster bracket will foul the 2v intake if i put the 2v on.

I've been keeping a close eye on this (haven't we all :) ) and may sell my 2v head i've got in the garage, depending on the price of the new head and 4v intake. If its not too bad (the price) I still might hang on to my orig. 2v for historical value.

Tripple TBI's would fit and work a treat, but its a little out of my area of skill/expertise. Plus for a weekender/cruiser, its a bit out of my budget!

Back